PDA

View Full Version : Why Do You Want to Be Strong?

Sicken
01-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Ok I know, I know, this is somewhat of a stupid question but I am curious. What motivated you to go to the gym in the first place?

Were you always small and decided you wanted to get big?:evillaugh:

Did you want to look good but eventaully strength became more important?:tuttut:

Did you do it to try to impress someone?:ninja:

Whatever your story is I would like to hear it.:)

Ben Moore
01-16-2009, 07:34 PM
I want to be the biggest dad in any sports groups my daughters get involved with...

Live
01-16-2009, 07:37 PM
I want to be the biggest dad in any sports groups my daughters get involved with...

"THAT WAS A FOUL! *the angry father turns around and looks up* uhh I mean....GREAT CALL REF!"

Matthew White
01-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Personal success. I want to be great, I want to leave a positive mark on my short amount of time on this earth, and I want to help as many people along the way as possible. The bigger and stronger you get, the more people listen, the most people you succeed in helping, the more successful you become. Just my way of thinking. Plus a good crowd makes me feel the most intense natural high.

BigTallOx
01-16-2009, 08:54 PM
What motivated you to go to the gym in the first place?

I was a tall skinny geek. That was 20+ years ago. Now I'm a 305 pound geek, lol.

Eric Downey
01-16-2009, 08:55 PM
because not everyone can.

Detard
01-16-2009, 11:13 PM
I was always the little guy. The smallest out of all my friends. I want my girlfriend and family to feel safe when i'm around. I enjoy lifting a piece of metal multiple times. I also like setting PR's. I started to get strong because of football, and now i do it for personal satisfaction.

cwoodrb105
01-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Football. I want to be the best I can be.

TheVrolok
01-17-2009, 01:45 AM
Started out for football. Now that I no longer play it's just something I enjoy. I'm also a fairly big framed fellow, so it just seems more natural for me to try to put on muscle/look stronger/be stronger.

Ryano
01-17-2009, 05:34 AM
Strong people are harder to kill. If you are in shape, you heal faster after taking an ass whoopin'.

TUEFELHUNDEN
01-17-2009, 06:12 AM
PR's.

That and being able to throw around a 400+ lb. machine for 20 minutes.

mosley1990
01-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Ive always been a big kid. Never really cared about being strong but a guy in my class was benching 285@175 when i was benching like..210@275(junior year lol) but, it didnt really bother me at the time...then in september i got introduced to the world of powerlifting. now im by far the strongest kid in my highschool. I want to be bigger and stronger than everyone :) lol...eventually.(that wont happen, but i still want it lol)

chris mason
01-17-2009, 12:48 PM
A lifelong fascination with brute power.

Reko
01-17-2009, 10:00 PM
To get big and strong. Started off incredibly skinny and wanted to get bigger and stronger. Now its about chasing down goals to prove to myself that I can, and a little bit to the people who told me I couldn't.

EatMyWay2TheTop
01-18-2009, 05:00 AM
To get big and strong. Started off incredibly skinny and wanted to get bigger and stronger. Now its about chasing down goals to prove to myself that I can, and a little bit to the people who told me I couldn't.

5"11 120 pounds at 18 years-old.
I guess it is safe to say I wasn't exactly gifted for this sport.

Brad08
01-18-2009, 07:05 AM
Because strong is cool.

And if I'm going to get old and fat, I might as well get old, fat AND strong.

Fuzzy
01-18-2009, 07:14 AM
Because instinct drives me to.

Weightlifting allows me to satisfy the urge in a constructive planned way with tangible measurable goals.

The other reason is pride, I want to leave my shoes on the platform knowing that in years of training I had nothing else to give, I spent all and gave all being the strongest I can be. Becoming world and Olympic champion or the bottom of the B division is inconsequential, as along as I can look back and know that was the best i could be.

evilxxx
01-18-2009, 11:19 AM
I picked up a copy of FLEX back in 89 (14y.o.)and decided to get lifting to be big! but it was not until 2001 that I discovered powerlifting...so i started at 15, nothing serious,, got from 145 to 180...got stuck at 190 and in 2002 after training like a powerlifter and reading more powerlifting oriented stuff i started to get big again...246 in 2005. had to stop for a while but im back at it again...

vdizenzo
01-18-2009, 11:37 AM
"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

Actually, cuz chicks dig big guys.

brihead301
01-18-2009, 11:50 AM
It's fun. It just feels good to be strong. Being sedentary is the polar opposite s***ty feeling.

And yes, chicks do dig it too.

gamodye
01-18-2009, 12:08 PM
i want to be strong for many reasons:

a) i am not afraid of a fight to defend a friend/ myself
b) so that i can join the school rugby team (i can dodge, just don't weigh enough and not fast enough)
c) confidence
d) attract girls
e) to look good in most clothes

mosley1990
01-18-2009, 12:27 PM
i want to be strong for many reasons:

a) i am not afraid of a fight to defend a friend/ myself
b) so that i can join the school rugby team (i can dodge, just don't weigh enough and not fast enough)
c) confidence
d) attract girls
e) to look good in most clothes

about part e.....eventually its really hard to find jeans lol...your quads get pretty big lol.

matt08
01-18-2009, 01:00 PM
well ive never been little, but i want to look better, lose some fat, get better muscle definition. i want to get strong and put up some good numbers. i want to be a better athlete because i have the potential to be. why waste it

BigTallOx
01-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Because strong is cool.

Exactly. Very well said!

BigTallOx
01-18-2009, 02:08 PM
because not everyone can.

No, but everybody can be strongER!. To me that's what's its about, pushing yourself and being stronger than you thought was possible. It's very cool.

Painlayer
01-18-2009, 04:38 PM
I have ALWAYS watched pro wrestling since i can remember, My first memory that i can recall is sitting in front of the television watching hogan or savage, Guys like that grabbed my attention because of how big they were.

Then i got older and seen guys like scott steiner, Those are the guys that i always wanted to emulate to a certain extent, Then i actually got to get into the sqaured circle and at 180lbs ( Not solid at all ) It was VERY hard to get in there and move guys around the way that i wanted to when they out weighed me by like 100+lbs, But here i am throwing them around now like they arent ****.

slashkills
01-18-2009, 06:18 PM
so im not weak and i would eventually like to compete

Erik2003
01-18-2009, 06:52 PM
I think we do what we do to prove a point... We know more, we work harder... we want to succeeed...

Society is the nay sayer and is the enemy. It is far too easy to be part of the masses...

nhlfan
01-20-2009, 04:53 AM
Powerlifting is the only sport that really makes sense to me. I never had the reflexes or vision to be a great player in anything else. Also, it's a sport that takes years of work, and is progressive. It's a lot easier to track progress in powerlifting than it is in basketball, or hockey.

The overall healthy and powerful feeling your body gets from lifting is amazing, too. I'm addicted to that feeling.

BShaw
01-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Someday my daughter will start bringing boys home, and I want to be sure that they know who the boss is. Besides that, I love the feeling of setting new PR's.

Minotaur
01-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Ok I know, I know, this is somewhat of a stupid question but I am curious. What motivated you to go to the gym in the first place?

I thought I wanted to be a bodybuilder.

Were you always small and decided you wanted to get big?

Yes.

Did you want to look good but eventaully strength became more important?

I think I'll look good looking like a 240 lb 5'5" powerhouse bear that will instill fear in small children of being eaten alive. bwahahahaha Size and strength is more important to me than being ripped, 6% body fat and on a stage in butt-floss (as if :rolleyes: ).

Did you do it to try to impress someone?

It's impressive to other people, and it makes me stand out, something I psychologically need. I need to impress everyone.

Ben Moore
01-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Someday my daughter will start bringing boys home, and I want to be sure that they know who the boss is. Besides that, I love the feeling of setting new PR's.

You better start eating judging from your stats ;)

Donnajo
01-20-2009, 10:26 AM
two reasons for me

I was always strong for a girl and active in sports so now I have a sport that combines my natural strength and love for participating in competition.

I also think some of the reason I lift for strength is that I was in a situation years ago where I was attacked by a man and beaten up pretty bad. I want to be strong to protect myself. I also think because I was active and lifted weights it saved me from being killed by him. Because that was his intention.

rbtrout
01-20-2009, 11:34 AM
^^^Wow, that's pretty hard-core.

I was always a really skinny kid. I always watched the lifting in the Olympics and loved it. I always wanted to be big and strong. It's been a life-long drive that I'm achieving.

My family, although supporting me, doesn't understand and always asks why I have to go heavier. I've got friends that have said I'll never get very big or strong, especially once I've hit 40. I'm proving all of them wrong. I've made more/better gains since I turned 40 (46 now) than I ever did before.

jonke05
01-20-2009, 03:23 PM
1. I got sick and tired of being sick and tired
2. I always wanted to be able to pick up my girls when they need their Dad
3. Then, every day at the gym became my own "Everest". I know it probably sounds silly, but I became hooked on more weight...
4. Now I train for my competition because I was rightly told that "it doesn't count unless it's in the books"...
5. I like the folks that are attracted to this sport because the also believe that nothing is impossible

BigTallOx
01-20-2009, 07:46 PM
5. I like the folks that are attracted to this sport (snip)

That's a good point. I do feel a bond with other powerlifters sometimes even without really knowing them very well. Honestly, I don't know why though, it seems like we're all really different, but somehow, even if we're at difference experience levels, we're all striving for the same thing and that creates a special bond.

Big LaP
01-27-2009, 09:29 AM
so i can keep competing till my body can't take anymore!

Twirl
01-27-2009, 09:37 AM
-tired of being the skinney kid
- help me progress in my sport (paintball)
- I think I may want to give college football a try (wide receiver or free safety)
- girls dig it (and to see the look on a few of my ex's faces when they see my swole ass next time)
- and mainly being able to protect my family and those I love

mike95763
01-27-2009, 10:01 AM
I want to try and fulfill my potential, also if I am not getting stronger than I must be getting weaker and that sucks.

hellagrant
01-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Its a rush for me. The feeling of doing a squat while I am dead tired and wondering if I should even attempt that last rep is so painful but exciting.

snikez
01-27-2009, 04:09 PM
used to get teased a lot as a kid cause I was a little fat. Lost a lot of weight but a lot of muscle too so then I was really skinny. I was fine with that for a while until I saw that I didn't want to be skinny-I wanted to be muscular. I lift because I like the look of having a lot of muscles. I also don't want to be picked on anymore. Also weightlifting is so different than anything else I've ever enjoyed doing. Weightlifting is something that people barely understand. Most people just think you have to lift weights and you can get big. There is so much more to lifting than people realize.

luigisacs
01-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Because I have a point to prove to everyone who says I can't.

Asim
01-29-2009, 12:33 PM
To keep helping my aunt Move. Wait, oh no…

JAT1975
01-29-2009, 01:16 PM
After dieting and dropping from 308 to 225 pounds and then gaining it all back, I finally decided I was tired of being a marshmellow! I'm still fat and looking for ways to retain strength while losing fat, but I have gotten a lot stronger in the last 2 years of religious weight training. I definitely carry my weight differently now and get a great deal of satisfaction by setting goals and achieving them in the gym.

jed
01-29-2009, 09:32 PM
1. i was 125
2. i could bench 65 lb
3. i want to get huge

PowerHungry
01-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Lifting weights is a great way to redirect my uncontainable anger.

And like Fight Club says, "Self improvement is masterbation"