PDA

View Full Version : Foam Rolling Question - bi's, tri's and forearms

huskybear
01-17-2009, 09:16 PM
I love my foam roller.... it's done wonders for my hips, hamstrings, groin, and back... so today, I decided to attack my bi's tri's and forearms... it was only light rolling, but it really dug into my arms... I have lots of issues with my left arm extension... this seem to open it up alot, and both my elbow and forearms felt better...

While I feel good today, tomorrow maybe a different story... some of the stuff I've been able to find indicates that using the roller on smaller groups isn't a good idea, but this seems to refer more to shoulders...

Does anyone have experience with foam rolling the arms?

Is it a good idea to do this in moderation or is it something to steer completely away from?

Thoughts appreciated!

WhateverItTakes
01-18-2009, 08:29 AM
I foam roll my tris and bis. I am not saying it is good or bad, but it works for me. I would be curious to hear what other people do.

huskybear
01-18-2009, 03:30 PM
thanks bro... My arms feel great today... I especially have a sore left arm post heavy deads and today they feel great, so I think I'm going to play around with this for the time being in moderation... still curious about other takes on this...

WhateverItTakes... how much/ how often to you roll them?

Keith
01-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Good topic. I'd like to hear more on this.

I love foam rolling but I only use it for major muscle groups. On smaller muscle groups (bis @ tris) I don't see how you could apply enough pressure/force on them to do the job... IMO, it's far too much. But as I said, I'd like to hear more on this as my opinion is only based on personal experience.

ELmx479
01-18-2009, 03:55 PM
I just got a foam roller and wow is it painful to roll certain areas. My IT band burns like crazy. I will have to try it on my arms also.

Erik2003
01-18-2009, 06:42 PM
I use a small infaltable ball to pull and work out the spinal tension. Kind of like the bender ball, an small 12-inch ball semi inflated. I put it on my back and crawl up and down it facing upwards. It really pulls out the back muscles and stretches the back out...

huskybear
01-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Good topic. I'd like to hear more on this.

I love foam rolling but I only use it for major muscle groups. On smaller muscle groups (bis @ tris) I don't see how you could apply enough pressure/force on them to do the job... IMO, it's far too much. But as I said, I'd like to hear more on this as my opinion is only based on personal experience.

Keith, I thought the same thing about applying pressure, I think too much pressure will definitely screw up these smaller muscle groups and give you the destructive pressure we're not looking for so, then came the problem of how to even get some pressure - what I did was lean against a corner of the wall at my gym and roll up and down along the arm... worked well, and today I feel great today... I think that too much of the rolling too will totally start bugging the tendons too... balance in use is going to be the toughest thing for me I think...

sorry for the continued ramble but still trying to figure this out lol

ELmx... it will get better, just takes time!