PDA

View Full Version : Why is carbonation bad?

PHOENIX
01-20-2009, 07:03 AM
i stopped drinking sodas pretty much all together.
but I drink sparkling water. I read somewhere that carbonation is bad?
can anyone explain or were they referring to sodas??

thanks!

Raja

Holto
01-20-2009, 10:08 AM
I have heard, (keyword) that it kills enzymes etc. If you don't feel like it's impacting your digestion, I wouldn't stress it. I've read two books strictly on the digestive system and I've never come across anything concrete to say it's bad.

Mercuryblade
01-21-2009, 11:43 AM
No.
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/health_science/articles/2005/10/03/does_drinking_carbonated_beverages_harm_bones_or_teeth/

The whole leaching calcium thing was just scare tactics purported by the dairy industry.

BFGUITAR
01-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Carbonated drinks are slightly acidic, the worst that this can do is give you mild heart burn. Your stomach contains hydrochloric acid...
Lets put this in perspective.

Hydrochloric acid has a pKa of -3, and bicarbonate--> carbonate has a pKa of 10.3.
The higher the pKa, the less acidic the substance is. Normal vinegar has a pKa of about 5, citric acid (from lemons) have around 3.

The difference between vinegar and citric acid is 2. But this is a LOGARITHMIC scale, meaning each number is ten times greater than the one before. The difference between vinegar and citric acid is 10^2... or in simpler terms, citric acid from a lemon is 100 times more acidic than vinegar.

Ok thats all good. The difference between hydrochloric acid and bicarbonate (your soda water) is 10^13... or 10 000 000 000 000. That means your stomach acid is 10 000 000 000 000 times more acidic than the water you are drinking. That means drinking this water will literally do nothing to your stomach or enzymes in terms of acid/base. As well, your intestines use carbonate (similar to the stuff in soda water) to neutralize your stomach acid (meaning the stuff your drinking is safe considering your body uses it already).

The ONLY concern here is tooth decay. The fact is, acid will decay your teeth, there is no question about it. If its a big concern for you, you can drink your soda water with a straw.
The reason why soda water becomes an issue and not vinegar/lemon juice is because your consuming a lot more of this liquid, even though soda water is 100-1000 times less acidic than lemons/vinegar.

Mercuryblade
01-22-2009, 12:07 AM
The ONLY concern here is tooth decay. The fact is, acid will decay your teeth, there is no question about it. If its a big concern for you, you can drink your soda water with a straw.
The reason why soda water becomes an issue and not vinegar/lemon juice is because your consuming a lot more of this liquid, even though soda water is 100-1000 times less acidic than lemons/vinegar.

From the article I posted "As for teeth, ''tooth enamel is harder and more dense than bone," so the damage to teeth is probably slight, said Dr. Thomas Van Dyke, a professor of periodontology and oral biology at the Boston University School of Dental Medicine. A person would have to drink an extreme amount of carbonated beverages for the carbonic acid to leach calcium out of teeth, he said. The sugar in soft drinks, though, is horrible for teeth because bacteria that eat the sugar produce an acid that creates cavities."

zen
01-22-2009, 06:37 AM
OMGz!!! CO2 frum teh soda canz ish kawzing globical warmingz!!!!

*cracks open a Dr.Pepper*
It's 5 degrees F here today

BFGUITAR
01-22-2009, 01:28 PM
From the article I posted "As for teeth, ''tooth enamel is harder and more dense than bone," so the damage to teeth is probably slight, said Dr. Thomas Van Dyke, a professor of periodontology and oral biology at the Boston University School of Dental Medicine. A person would have to drink an extreme amount of carbonated beverages for the carbonic acid to leach calcium out of teeth, he said. The sugar in soft drinks, though, is horrible for teeth because bacteria that eat the sugar produce an acid that creates cavities."

Yeh it would be very slight. I personally wouldn't bother. Just don't use the stuff as mouth wash lol.