PDA

View Full Version : How many calories

brians34
01-20-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm looking to shed at least 20 pounds. I have a work out program similar to WBB 1 but I'm having trouble on the diet part. I know I need to eat below maintenance but whats a good number to start, (ive heard 2000) and how should I break up my fats and carbs. Right now I'm trying to eat at least 1g of protein per body weight. Also, what supplements should I add to my diet besides a multi?

king8329
01-20-2009, 07:20 PM
http://michaelandkendra.com/BMRCALC/bmrcalc.htm
go to this link and punch in your numbers it will give you a good general idea what you need. Then customize your intake after around three weeks or so if not getting desired results.Also, you can go to fitday to track cals., activ. etc.
http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Login.html?_a_Date=1227916800.

runriot26
01-20-2009, 07:21 PM
well ive heard that if you take your weight times 10, then thats how many calories you need to take in to maintain your weight.....so maybe knock off 300 to 500 calories from what you get? not sure on this one but maybe look it up

Unreal
01-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Formulas do not work. Track for a week or two, then subtract 10% or so from that and see what it does for you. I maintain on about 3100-3200 a day. I shoot for 2500 a day when cutting but as I get leaner that drops. BWx10 is way way low for maintence.

brians34
01-21-2009, 08:03 AM
I understand formulas don't really work but what I guess I'm asking.. is where is a good place to start.... I'm 26, work at a school (so daily exercise is limited) and I work out 3 or 4 times a week for roughly an hour per session.

Brad08
01-21-2009, 08:05 AM
I understand formulas don't really work but what I guess I'm asking.. is where is a good place to start.... I'm 26, work at a school (so daily exercise is limited) and I work out 3 or 4 times a week for roughly an hour per session.

Unreal told you exactly what to do, and it works.

Unreal
01-21-2009, 10:22 AM
A good place to start is eat exactly what you eating now for a week or two and track your calories and weight.

snikez
01-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Well you could eat a specific amount of calories a week and keep adjusting the value until you lose a pound a week. (if you don't lose a pound, eat 100 less calories the next week. If you lose more than a pound, you might lose some muscle which is a lot harder to get back compared to fat.)

Or you could find your maintenance calorie intake, that is the amount of calories you can eat every day without gaining or losing any weight according to your body's needs and the regular amount of exercise you do. People say that once you've found your maintenance, you should decrease by 500 calories. But I would decrease by about 250 because you never know how your body will react.