PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my deads

Invain
01-20-2009, 07:55 PM
My deadlift has taken a complete **** these past couple months and I have no clue why. In November/Early December I pulled 530. I trained normally after that and took a week off during Christmas break. Towards the end of break I wanted to max out again, figuring I'd be good for 540 or 550 since I'd been making suh steady gains all year. I warmed up like normal, 500 felt heavy as hell, couldn't even budge 530 off the ground... wtf... I figured it was just one of those ****ty days so I took the next week off as well. Ever since then my deads have been absolutely terrible. I usually alternate between deads and rackpulls each week and even my rackpulls are down like 20 - 30 lbs. Everything feels heavy as **** and I feel like I have no energy when I go to pull.

I've been sleeping and eating like normal, and all my other lifts have been increasing pretty steadily like usual. I have been really stressed lately at school which has really killed my appetite, but that hasn't seemed to affect my other lifts as I said, and my deads took a **** way back while I was still on break.

What would you guys do in my position? I've skipped my back workout multiple times thinking the extra rest will bring me back to normal but it hasn't. This is so insanely discouraging as I was just finally moving some decent weight and now I feel like a huge vagina when I pull.

Live
01-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Thats really odd, I would have thought a rattled CNS for sure, but that week off should have fixed it, perhaps try resetting your DL poundage 10-15% and working back up, sometimes you gotta switch to a lower gear to get past your original plateau, also try to get your calorie intake back up to normal, thats all I can really think of

Invain
01-20-2009, 08:48 PM
My calories have been farily steady, I just have to cram a lot more in at night before I go to bed since I eat like crap during the day. I planned on just dropping the weight as you mentioned and seeing what happens, but it seems like thinks get worse every week.

Travis Bell
01-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Up the calories man. Your body isn't recovering. Try to get more in during the day rather than waiting til nighttime. Might also be time to take a look at your deadlift routine. Hit up the contrast showers as well

Invain
01-20-2009, 10:11 PM
I know you're probably right, but until I see a doc there's not much I can do. I don't even eat breakfast anymore because I puke everytime I try.

roots
01-21-2009, 12:50 AM
exact same thing happened to me actually. back in september I was repping 435 DL, then I went on vacation for a week. came back, and could barely get 435 once. The next week my deadlift and rackpulls went down, and stayed that way all the way till this month, even though my other lifts were increasing. Now I am finally starting to set pr's, even on days when I feel terrible and extremely tired. No idea why.

Travis Bell
01-21-2009, 05:56 AM
I know you're probably right, but until I see a doc there's not much I can do. I don't even eat breakfast anymore because I puke everytime I try.

try taking some anti acids in the morning when you get up

Guido
01-21-2009, 08:42 AM
If your stressed that can definitely hurt your strength. I had a buddy who had snatched 135kg miss 125 three times in a meet because he had recently broken up with his girlfriend. Everything else had remained the same in his diet, sleep, etc.

Anything else change? Did you suddenly stop going heavy or switch routines? Getting enough protein? You're just going to have to think about what's changed and narrow it down, then fix whatever is different. Or as Live said take a step back and work through your routine again starting a tad lower then continue on through your plateau.

Notorious
01-21-2009, 04:42 PM
I used to have a terrible lower back. I had x-rays taken but nothing showed up. I planned on getting an MRI as well but after a couple weeks of foam rolling and lots of stretching the stiffness went away. It's most likely muscular. Mine seems to have flaired back up recently but I have a feeling I actually pulled something this time as it's only on one side and is more painful.

Maybe it's this?

Invain
01-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Possibly, but that happened just last week. My back actually felt great for the past month or two, even when my lifts were terrible.