PDA

View Full Version : Competing through injury. How have you done it?

Fuzzy
01-20-2009, 09:20 PM
I think therecomes a time in any serious competitive athlete's life were an injury must be toughed through for the sake of an close and important competition. I find myself in such a situation. A week ago I could not hold a bar overhead with my wrist, now, I can but with considerable pain.

My coach has been attempting to manipulate the program as much as possible to facilitate, usually he would give the time to heal but this warrants the risk of competing. So far I have employed a regime of ultrasound, massage, pain killers with codeine, prescription anti inflammatory tablet, heavy wrapping and sheer grit. It seems to be working and hopefully by the weekend I should be able to lift through the pain rather than it being unbearable altogether.

What I am really asking is how you as competitors have toughed through pain. I am not looking for 'you should rest up bro.' the quite freaking obvious. But drugs, wrapping techniques etc.

Thanks.

Ben Moore
01-20-2009, 09:25 PM
I've done it - pain killers, ultrasound, cold laser, contrasting heat and ice. It sucks, but we're a hard headed bunch at times.

Travis Bell
01-20-2009, 09:34 PM
You do want to keep in mind that the injury is one that will not get worse because of competing, nor could it turn into a career risking injury, but I'm sure you've thought through that as well as your coach.

Bout 4 years ago, a week out from the MI state bench comp, my shirt blew on me and I ended up dropping 520lbs on me. I was quite sure it cracked some ribs, but the bigger thing was the mental aspect. I had such a hard time trusting the shirt after that. Each creak and crack I just thought it was going to blow out on me again. Not exactly what you need to do on your week (technically 2 weeks, last week of heavy training) before a meet.

I took so much ibuprofen that week LOL. Iced every day. Put tons of liniment on several times a day. I talked to a doctor (who oddly enough used to work with Team USA) who basically said if I could handle the pain I'd be fine. I remember sitting in my dorm room just thinking about it. I just reminded myself of all the training I'd done up to that point and all the hard work.

What made it work though was I had to reset new goals for the meet. Knowing my injury, I needed to reconsider what I felt I was capable of at the meet. Previous ideas were based on me going into it healthy so why would I hold myself to the same standard now that I was injured?

I forced myself to get over the shirt issues. Kept reminding myself that I had 3 spotters and if I was going to dump a weight, this was the place to do it (at the meet)

I did the best I could with the hand I was delt and ended up with a big meet PR, state and I believe a junior record (can't recall)

You didn't get into this sport because you wanted to be pampered anyways. The pain will go away, but you can't go back and re-do the meet.

Sensei
01-20-2009, 09:52 PM
I hope you aren't doing anything that's going to hurt you long term. Not what you want to hear I'm sure, but, at 16, you have a lot of competitive years ahead of you and unless this is your shot at the Olympics... Most competitions aren't worth it IMHO.

Anywho, of course there have been a lot of competitions where I've been sick or injured. NSAIDs, ice, heat, atomic balm, massage, caffeine, over-the-counter cold/flu medicines, fluids, etc., etc. I remember one meet I went to with the flu and they misloaded my squat by 100+lbs - I thought "Damn, this flu has really taken it out of me!". I walked it out, contemplated it for about 5 seconds and then walked it back in...

Shoulder issues have been a reoccuring thing for me in swimming and lifting and I've had to just do token performances here and there - enough to stay in the game, get points for the team, etc. Some of them I'm glad I did, some not.

Fuzzy
01-20-2009, 10:00 PM
I hope you aren't doing anything that's going to hurt you long term. Not what you want to hear I'm sure, but, at 16, you have a lot of competitive years ahead of you and unless this is your shot at the Olympics... Most competitions aren't worth it IMHO.

Thanks for the reply Sensei.

It won't hurt long term, just need to make through this comp (it's an interstate comp and good performance will get me some government funding.) The moment the bar hit the ground I began a full scale rehab and recovery of this bastard.

drew
01-21-2009, 06:20 AM
YOu can do all the drugs and icing and whatnot. But the most important thing is to convince yourself that you can and will do what you need to do. When the time comes to perform, you just need to have your mind ready to deal with it, nut up and grind through it. Forget pain, there's always going to be pain. Just do what you set out to do.

=Travis=
01-21-2009, 07:40 AM
A lot of things aren't nearly as sore on the day of a competition, but the day after it sucks. I've done it and the only thing that has helped is keeping the area warm and limber, use NSAID and ice afterwards. I know the feeling of "I can let it heal afterwards" and as long as it's not something that can risk further injury, just clinch your teeth and go for it.

cunniff1981
01-21-2009, 07:12 PM
If it is a major inflamitory problem couldn't you get a cortizone injection in it??
I have used them for bicep bursa inflamation and could go from not being able to lift to being 100% overnight. Just an idea if this comp is something serious. Then after the comp just look after it properly and all should be good.

Hazerboy
01-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Never lifted with an injury but I've gone to plenty of wrestling meets hurt. I always had mental anxiety about it, but if you can get over that, I think you'll fine that you'll have so much adrenaline rushing during the lift that you may not feel it (depending on how bad the injury was). In between attempts though... thats going to suck XD

Fuzzy
01-22-2009, 02:00 AM
If it is a major inflamitory problem couldn't you get a cortizone injection in it??
I have used them for bicep bursa inflamation and could go from not being able to lift to being 100% overnight. Just an idea if this comp is something serious. Then after the comp just look after it properly and all should be good.

Cortisone is a possibility, but I prefer not to.

cunniff1981
01-22-2009, 05:07 PM
From the last one I had I found it great. Has been 2 years now. I am going back this week to get it in both bursa's so I can compete this year.
Well worth it in my opinion, talk to your doctor about it.