PDA

View Full Version : Getting 4-5k Calories, catch is...

aaron_c
01-21-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm in college, like in a dorm room- I have a job that takes up 22 hours a week and 15 hours of classes (meaning I'm in class 30 hours a week and studying another 10 out of class). I barely have time to go to the gym, but i ALWAYS go three nonconsecutive days per week.

Here's my problem. I am having major trouble getting the calories I need to continue bulking, because I can't eat very 'healthy' as far as cooking full meals properly and all- I often have to resort to canned food like ravioli and hormel chili and such, which is low in calories for the amount of food (290ish per can).

What are some foods I can eat that will help bump my calories up to the 4-5k so many of you say you're at? something that doesn't have to be cooked (microwave is fine though obviously, just no stove). I also take in 2 bottles of maximus+water, for a total of six scoops a day (650ish calories) but it really fills me up bad.

thanks for any help!

aaron_c
01-21-2009, 02:49 PM
EDIT: One other note I forgot to mention, I hit 156 or so within a month and my gains got REALLLYYY slow after that, obviously because of less calories I'm sure. But once again, just wondering what I can do to bump up the calories with higher calorie foods instead of just more of it, because I hate being at work/in class with a sick stomach...

Unreal
01-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Nuts, cheese, oils. Eat your fats.

Big Jay
01-21-2009, 03:48 PM
lots of milk

whiteman90909
01-21-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm in the EXACT same situation as you are.

Go to the grocery store, but a ton of boxes of pasta- the kind with cheese and **** on it that you make in the microwave- make it up, then put a can of tuna in it. Kill it off with some whole milk. That right there is an easy meal for two bucks. For that price you can eat two. Or three.

Also, PB. PB is easy to eat with a spoon straight out of the jar and guess what? It goes great with milk!

Almonds and other nuts are good as well, as they keep forever and are packed with calories.

The other thing I'd say is get snacks. Eat when walking to class, doing HW, anything, anytime. Calories in small portions are easy to fit in.

Big Jay
01-21-2009, 04:02 PM
PB is easy to eat with a spoon straight out of the jar and guess what? It goes great with milk!
:thumbup: my favourite snack

BigDanny817
01-21-2009, 06:03 PM
corned beef hash, weight shake, tuna,pb, milk, eggs,lunch meats

Painzer
01-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Peanut butter, nuts, Meats (especially beef)...

king8329
01-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Milk is always good. One thing I used to bulk were Ramen noodles (just watch sodium intake).... there quick (microwavable), cheap(like 15-20 cents per pack, and contain like 380 cal. per pack. I use to eat 2 packs at a time, maybe throw in jalapenos for taste or whatever. 5 minutes prep, 760 calories. Worked for me, just be sure to get the lower sodium version if that concerns you.

Indifference
01-22-2009, 08:57 PM
I was in the exact same position as you. I came into the dorm at 165lbs at 6foot and left at 220lbs 2 semesters later. Whole milk. LOTS OF IT. If you have time to sit and contemplate what you want to eat, youve already failed, you should be drinking a glass at all times unless you feel your gonna puke. Wait a few minutes and have more. It worked for me, almost too well!

Masako
01-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Lots and lots of milk, tuna, and peanut butter if you can. There's a good list somewhere around here of founds for bodybuilders. http://photosnag.com/img/1927/y08m1110mhmd/2.gif

Ben Moore
01-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Shop at a place like Aldi and buy more cans of ravioli - do you have a meal plan? If so, stuff some stuff in your bag.

aaron_c
01-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Shop at a place like Aldi and buy more cans of ravioli - do you have a meal plan? If so, stuff some stuff in your bag.

No meal plan anymore, except what we call 'flex' money that can be spent at Chic-Fil-A (I always get the 12-pc nugget, chicken sandwich w/ mayo, and small order of fries for lunch on Monday and Wednesday), Subway, and some 'grill' style place. The cafeteria here that I went to last year is a bit frightening lol, not to mention a half mile across campus.

TUEFELHUNDEN
01-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Buy frozen meals that you make in a frying pan like "Contessa" brand. I eat them all the time and are great especially if you don't want all the sodium of microwave meals. They only take 8-10 minutes to make. Sometimes I'll eat the whole thing myself with a huge glass of milk. That for dinner and your getting (not including the milk)
750 cal
10.5g fat
45g protein

Then have apples and peanut butter for dessert.

Progress
01-23-2009, 11:41 AM
I would love for a Chick-fil-A here! Why don't you mix your Maximus in whole milk? If you have a cup with each shake, that's 300 calories in just milk alone.

Also, eat first, then drink. I find that even though I'm full, I can normally sip on a weightgainer-type shake after a meal. I normally don't want to eat anything after a high cal shake, though.

aaron_c
02-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Progress, sometimes I do, but it's really thick with milk so I usually stick with water. Usually with water for breakfast and after lunch, then milk after dinner. It's working okay right now, I'm back slowly gaining again, great to see some progress, though I just ran out of Maximus. Gonna give either Muscle or Monster Milk a shot, starting probably tomorrow.

Bako Lifter
02-08-2009, 01:39 PM
2 Bako Shakes.

bass slayer
02-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Go find a local GNC and get some weight gainer, Im using the Mass XXX right now with good results and its about 1000 calories easy with whole milk.

OXplode
02-09-2009, 01:32 PM
do you guys take into account beer as part of your calorie intake? I know it has a lot of calories in it but i dont know whether these are are good calories or bad calories? I dont even know if you get good or bad calories.

Progress
02-09-2009, 02:10 PM
do you guys take into account beer as part of your calorie intake? I know it has a lot of calories in it but i dont know whether these are are good calories or bad calories? I dont even know if you get good or bad calories.

Why would you not?

The calories in beer will be almost exclusively carbs.

Tom Mutaffis
02-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Just posted a reply in your thread over in the supplements section.

For overall diets you will have to go high fats if you want to go high calorie with any kind of convenience (since fat is 9 calories per gram as opposed to 4 calories per gram for protein and carbs).

Good foods to include:

Whole Milk
Olive Oil
Natural Peanut Butter
Whole Eggs
Cheeses
Lean Meat (Steak, Ground Beef)
Salmon

reisrocks
02-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Scrap all you've read and take advice from a hard gainer.

Keep pots of peanut butter in your room... they don't need refrigeration... either eat straight or with bread.

Peanut butter is super dense in nutrients, very rich in Fat, Protein and Carbs (in that order).

I can't gain without the damn thing.

manowar669
02-10-2009, 06:17 AM
lots of milk

Yup, Whole milk.

manowar669
02-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Why would you not?

The calories in beer will be almost exclusively carbs.

More calories from alcohol than carbs in most beers.
(eg. miller lite, 12 calories from carbs, 84 calories from alcohol)