PDA

View Full Version : Old Westside Squat Video

no regrets
01-21-2009, 04:26 PM
This was a cool old video I came across the other day. Sorry if it is a repost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j8Q-R-QfN8&feature=related

Mike Ruggiera is a freak. Also, does anyone know who that guy in the maroon shirt that spots in the beginning and squats at the end? He has some of the biggest legs I've ever seen.

Travis Bell
01-21-2009, 04:53 PM
I think that's Tim Harold. I can't be sure, the video is a little fuzzy.

For the rest of you guys who watch this, this was a video of a DE squat workout. Notice how they still work up to some heavy sets at the end. Our training really hasn't changed much, just putting a better name to it.

And I couldn't agree more, Mike Ruggiera is massive

joey54
01-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Travis what is the deal with the weight, chain, weight set up during the later sets? Is there a purpose for that trainng wise or is that just for convenience of loading the weight?

Lones Green
01-21-2009, 05:41 PM
One of these days I will be bigger than Mike...

Travis Bell
01-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Travis what is the deal with the weight, chain, weight set up during the later sets? Is there a purpose for that trainng wise or is that just for convenience of loading the weight?

purely convenience. Not all the guys use the same bar weight so it makes it easier in that you don't have to take the chains off every time.

Dave Schwab
01-22-2009, 12:25 PM
That's Tim Harold in the maroon shirt, truly a large human being. He was at the Pro-Am this past weekend, leaned-out quite a bit but still a huge guy.

Brad08
01-22-2009, 12:37 PM
I've seen that at least a dozen times and it's always fun to watch. A really terrific video.

Fuzzy
01-22-2009, 03:29 PM

When you have a bunch of lifters on the same equipment you very quickly learn the most efficient way of loading the bar for minimal fuss.

joey54
01-22-2009, 04:29 PM
purely convenience. Not all the guys use the same bar weight so it makes it easier in that you don't have to take the chains off every time.

That is what I pretty much figured, but was just wondering if there was any other reasoning to it. Makes perfect sense.

WillNoble
01-22-2009, 04:37 PM
That's Tim Harold in the maroon shirt, truly a large human being. He was at the Pro-Am this past weekend, leaned-out quite a bit but still a huge guy.

yeah Tim Harold in the Maroon, JL Holdsworth in the Grey, and Joe Bayles in the red Westside shirt. The bald guy in Black I do not know...

no regrets
01-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I like watching old videos like this. I know Mike Ruggiera still trains because I read his logs on Elite. Are these other guys still around and training?

Dave Schwab
01-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Vogelpohl and JL are at Lexen now, Bayles still competes at Westside, Tim Harold still lifts but is taking a break from competing, not sure who the other couple of guys in the vid are.