PDA

View Full Version : Squatting induced bicep pain

mattdunkin
01-22-2009, 01:44 PM
I used to be able to squat week-in,week-out with no pain whatsoever,but now after say 2 weeks of squatting heavy with a regular bar I develop an intense pain in my left bicep.When I bench in my next training session the pain will be very intense and actually shut my left arm down.I avoid this by using the Safety Squat bar for my squats and heavy GMs,but I'm training for an APF meet in April and as the meet draws near I like to squat with a regular bar.I was wondering if any of you have/had this problem and how you trained around it or resolved it?

deeder
01-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Lots of high rep (30+) rotator cuff rotations with a band and a few visits to a chiro/art dude fixed me up. It was getting the point that I couldn't hold my left arm up to spot someone else squatting. When it was at its worst there was no way I could do curls but I've worked them in to my program more now and it seems to be helping. Before that I hadn't really trained biceps consistently for probably over a year.

Reko
01-22-2009, 03:12 PM
How wide do you grip the bar?

mattdunkin
01-22-2009, 03:26 PM
How wide do you grip the bar?

I grip the bar as wide as possible.I'm 6'2 so I have pretty long arms.

BFGUITAR
01-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Holding the bar wide as opposed to narrow reduce pressure?

Travis Bell
01-22-2009, 03:49 PM
use a SSB or buffalo bar for a few weeks

Sean S
01-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Is your shoulder region on that side really tight? I used to have problems with biciptal tendonitis in my left shoulder and that shoulder was really tight. I started stretching the shoulder (particularly stretching into external rotation) every day. I was quite painful at first, but the stretching did help my chronic shoulder pain and recurrent pec injuries I was dealing with. My issues don't sound as problematic as yours, but it's something to think about.
You might also think about doing just enough straight bar work to be comfortable with the technique, but alternate every other week or every third week with the SSB or buffalo bar.

SELK
01-22-2009, 08:37 PM
elbow sleeves helped me more then I expected when I started to use them for squatting.

Lones Green
01-22-2009, 08:50 PM
All very good advice in here. Listen to all of it.

SSB, Cambered bar, Buffalo bar, Liniment, Elbow sleeves, Ice, stretching, strippers, etc.

Chris Rodgers
01-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Very good ideas so far.

Also, what day do you squat and what day do you bench? You should have a few days after squatting before you bench. If I try and bench the next day it feels like my arm is gonna tear off.

brihead301
01-23-2009, 06:58 AM
WOW, I have this EXACT same problem. It happens to me from time to time - the heavy squatting hurts the bicep, then the benching REALLY makes it hurt 10 times worse.

I have came to the conclusion that I can't really squat heavy and bench heavy on the same day. I've been doing full body methods (rippetoes) for a while now, but I just can't do both of those lifts heavy on the same day for this exact reason.

evilxxx
01-23-2009, 09:53 AM
I get lots of shoulder pain and some bicep pain in my first few squat warm ups but as I keep going I keep doing shoulder rotations with a 5lb plate in hand to get them warm and flexible...same with the biceps with a 10 lbs., and I spend most of my rest time between sets stretching the shoulders and arms.

mattdunkin
01-23-2009, 08:42 PM
I follow the basic Westside template although lately I've had to adjust my training where I train 4 days in a row instead of adding the rest days in between-it is all due to my work and you got to do what you got to do,but even before that, 48 hours would pass between my ME squat/dead session and my bench session and the pain would still occur.I'm going to go ahead and order some elbow sleeves after I log-off of here,think I'm going to try APT's convict sleeves.Anyway,thanks for everyone's help-from what I've seen this is a really cool board with some knowledgeable people free of a lot of the b.s. and attitudes.