PDA

View Full Version : Starting Over

McLaughlin
01-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Here's my old journal for those that don't know, or are interested to see:
Original Journal (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=112437)

Well, after 3 months off... I'm getting back on the wagon.

Didn't do a lot today, but I AM getting back into it.

Squat:
Bar x 10
135 x 5 x 2
185 x 5 x 2

I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure that's what I did. Only thing I'm not sure of is if it was 2 sets or 3 sets.

Going to work out again Saturday and try to make it a full workout. My legs were arguing heavily against those squats, so I didn't want to push my luck my first day back.

Also planning to start up some regular cardio, instead of sporadic randomness.

Anyway, I'm back. Not sure how many of you remember me or not, but damn it's good to be back.

Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast:
Omlet
Granola Bar
Yogurt
24 oz coffee throughout morning

Lunch:
Bowl of spaghetti (with home-made sauce)

Dinner:
5 x french toast w/ pure maple syrup
8 oz milk (1% I think)

Well that's all. I'm thinking one post per day, which will list any cardio, lifts, and whatever I ate for the day.

Dkalban
01-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Welcome Back!!!!!

At least you can do 185, I can just do 135 for 3x5

mattburns
01-23-2009, 04:05 AM
What are your goals mate?

Solid squats for your first day back, best to take it easy for a week or so.

McLaughlin
01-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Welcome Back!!!!!

At least you can do 185, I can just do 135 for 3x5

Thanks man, and don't worry about it, you'll get there.

What are your goals mate?

Solid squats for your first day back, best to take it easy for a week or so.

Lift goals listed in sig, 225 bench, 315 squat and 315 dead. Would love to see 200 on the scale, but not going to force the weight. Want to be able to run a mile again without feeling like I'm going to die after a few hundred yards.

~~Edit:
Also for those that are interested, here's the routine I'm looking at for once I'm fully "up and running" with things again.

A/B/A
B/A/B
~~
A:
Squat, Bench, Dead
B:
Squat, Overhead Press, Hang Clean

Basically Rippetoes as near as I can figure. Thinking of starting cardio in the AM, going for a run on the treadmill before work, and then lifting right after work (it works best for me if I do it before going into the house). May do a little light cardio on the exercise bike here at work throughout my days, but probably nothing set in stone.

As for eating... I'm really shooting for 3,000 to 3,500 calories for starters, just to see how things go for a few weeks. Then will adjust from there. I really need help with ideas on what to eat while working 40hours in an office, because I have had issues with it in the past. I tend to eat bagels and yogurt a lot, as well as cans of fruit. But after a while that gets old. Looking for something new to keep things mixed up. Cooking breakfast at home isn't really an option due to my current living situation. I can get eggs made to order at the cafe upstairs but that gets spendy, so I'd like to keep that to only 1 or 2 days a week.

Just wanted to share some more information to give you guys a clear picture of where I'm at. I'll probably also take a few pictures, just so I can do the whole before/after thing. I really like that.

Anyway.... thanks for stopping by :D

~~Edit2:

Also forgot to mention I have some 100% pure whey isolate... tastes like absolute ****, but if I mix it with swissmiss (the hot coacoa mix) and whole milk, it's actually drinkable. So I'm going to try and work that into my diet as well. Shooting for 1/2 gallon a day, but that isn't always possible due to the $4/gallon price tag... lol.

jpw204
01-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Ahoy! Where the Eff have you been? I was actually following your journal then you disappeared. Welcome back Sir!

McLaughlin
01-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Ahoy! Where the Eff have you been? I was actually following your journal then you disappeared. Welcome back Sir!

Long time gone... but glad to be back.

Today was pretty lame though, off day + no cardio.

2 x plain bagels with pb
1 cup peach yogurt
1 cup riceroni
1 stuffed chicken breast (cheese/broccoli)
1/4 cup green beans
1 grilled stuffed burrito
16 oz black coffee
16 oz green tea (tea+water, no sugar or anything)
16 oz 2% milk
+ one bourbon/sprite

~~Edit:
Had a midnight snack of 12 pizza rolls and 8 oz of orange juice.

onepound
01-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Off days are good sometimes. We all can use them.

McLaughlin
01-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Ok so this past weekend effed me all up, whole family was sick and puking everywhere, so I spent my time helping out/cleaning up.

I know that's a **** excuse but it's the truth. Won't be going home tonight, but tomorrow I'll be able to hit the weights hard.

Twirl
01-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Lol you just put together that nice garage gym and disapeared hah. The only person that reads my journal,,,it was lonely. Welcome back man.

McLaughlin
01-29-2009, 07:41 AM
So I ended up having the flu... still not 100% better. Wtf really? Just when I try to get back into things all this shizz happens.

Twirl
01-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Man that sucks, the flu is going around down here too. Everyone is getting sick. Just means you're not taking enough vitameatavegimin, get some rest man and get back to it soon. I'm gonna beat ya back in the gym and leave ya behind in numbers =P.

Twirl
02-03-2009, 09:47 AM
How's that flu coming along man? Feeling any better?

McLaughlin
02-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Feeling better, but just got put on 50 hour weeks at work (mandatory) so not much free time. Should be able to work out tonight or tomorrow though.

I feel like a jack ass for coming back all big and saying how I'm starting up again, and only working out once... I really want to get started again.

mattburns
02-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Hardest bit is getting started mate. Just set the wheels in motion and soon you'll wonder what you did when you weren't lifting 3 times a week.

Twirl
02-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Hardest bit is getting started mate. Just set the wheels in motion and soon you'll wonder what you did when you weren't lifting 3 times a week.

truth

jpw204
02-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Any updates man? Did you hit the weights?

T FLEX
02-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Feeling better, but just got put on 50 hour weeks at work (mandatory) so not much free time. Should be able to work out tonight or tomorrow though...

I feel your pain man. Just came down with something myself after recovering from injuries and I was about to finish my first full week of lifting since. If it isn't one thing keeping you down it's another. Just hang in there and stay focused. :thumbup:

Twirl
02-10-2009, 07:20 PM
anything?

jpw204
03-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Did you quit again McLaughlin, or some more crazy stuff happen?

Twirl
03-05-2009, 08:47 AM
man, you alive?

Twirl
03-20-2009, 07:54 AM
????

McLaughlin
05-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Every time I start up again more things happen... in this instance as soon as I started up my dad added a snowmobile, 4-5 boat motors and a pool table to the garage... basically rendering my weight bench and the area in a 10 foot radius around it useless. I know a lot would say I'm making excuses, but seriously... It's annoying to me too.

I've got some big news, I'm getting married in September (on the 5th) and then moving to San Antonio, TX. I have a friend there that's pretty hard core with his workouts, so he's going to help me getting back into it. I'd love to be able to get something going before then though, but not sure what I'll be able to manage, given the state of the garage.

Here's the story though... I basically eat like crap, have a belly now, and have maintained around 185lbs body weight. Ideally I'd like to cut down to 165 or even 150 and then start over on my lifting from there. I know that I'm weaker, I can feel it. I'd be lucky to push 135 on the bench press. So right now I'm going to focus on eating better, and getting in some type of cardio that will burn some of this fat off me.

I'm pretty embarrassed about all the start/stop that I've been doing, so this time I'm not going to make any promises, just going to do the best I can.

McLaughlin
05-16-2009, 06:16 AM
Getting a gym membership very soon, going for the 3-month deal for like $105, so I can work out right up until I move (to tx).

Nik00117
10-10-2009, 04:57 AM
If your heading back to the gym when you hit those squats for the first time don't over do it.

Looking at your previous numbers if you coming back after a long break (which assuming since this hasn't been updated since May that'll be the case)

I'd recomend putting more then 115 LBs on that bar.

My first time back after a year long break I thought I was a big bad ass, went straight up as high as I can go and the next day (this is 100% honset) I could not stand up, I had to crawl out of my room to go to the ER because my quads were so ripped apart that they didn't have the strength to carry my weight.