PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with bread?

Coleman
04-07-2002, 12:35 AM
Hi

I see alot of people saying to try to avoid bread because it's bad. Why is this? Sandwiches one of my favourite foods and I usually eat 3-5 a day.

Mark
04-07-2002, 01:27 AM
There is a lot of carbohydrate in bread which quickly converts to sugar when eaten.

If sugar is not used up as energy straight away it will be converted to saturated fat by the body. Rapid increases in blood sugar also stimulate a release of insulin which is a fat storing hormone.

All that newly created fat then gets shoved into your fat cells. In the meantime your blood sugar levels have crashed stimulating an increase in hunger so you eat more bread and continue the cycle.

If you are eating protein and fat at the same time this will slow down the rate at which your body abosrbs the carbs in the bread which will help to minimise this effect.

Even if you are trying to increase muscle mass bread is not ideal other than in small quantities.

I assume you are eating wholemeal bread. White bread is worse as it has no fiber - you might as well just eat cakes.

Marcel
04-07-2002, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Mark
Even if you are trying to increase muscle mass bread is not ideal other than in small quantities.

*****What carbs in your opinion are good then ? besides oatmeal of course.

I assume you are eating wholemeal bread. White bread is worse as it has no fiber - you might as well just eat cakes.

*****:evillaugh.