PDA

View Full Version : Bench help

themayor
01-25-2009, 03:55 PM
I am week off the very bottom i have been doing low pin presses floor press and pause press along with some dumbell work. But the problem i am having is when i am benching near my max letting the bar down right when it near the chest i seems like i loses all power for a split second if i stay with it i can get through it. Any other ideas what i can use to help? Any one ever use a Cambered Bar?

vdizenzo
01-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Sounds like you're weak in your lats.

Travis Bell
01-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Sounds like you're weak in your lats.

Agreed.

Also, make sure you aren't losing your tightness in your shoulder blades at the bottom. A common mistake that I often make, especially when on a slippery bench

themayor
01-25-2009, 06:07 PM
ok thanks just alot of db rows and bent over rows? what rep range ordoesn't it matter much?

vdizenzo
01-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Make sure you are treating your rows like a reverse bench. Keep your shoulders back and don't unlock them on the way down for that exagerated stretch. You can also try these http://atlargenutrition.com/reverse_band_pulldowns.php

themayor
01-25-2009, 07:55 PM
ok thanks i start doing more of them

DrDudley-Robey
01-26-2009, 07:26 PM
I agree - try to stay tight with your sholders back. Also keep your leg drive the entire lift, Knees back - heels down. Also do you lift your head to look it down at the last minute? If so that can loosen your shirt and cost you power at the bottom

FFHill
01-26-2009, 07:41 PM
I just learned something Vin... Thanks for the tip on the rows. I don't think I stay tight enough on my rows.

RHarris
01-26-2009, 11:50 PM
In addition to all the other good advice above, make sure that you are continuing to squeeze the bar as tightly as you can as you get to the bottom... "pulling the bar apart" and keeping your elbows tucked in. All these things will help keep you tighter at the bottom. Sounds like you may be dealing with as much, if not more, technique issues at the bottom than just weakness in a particular muscle group. Bottom line is that if you let your lats or tris relax at all at the bottom, you're pretty well screwed.

If you think you're tight enough...you ain't! You're never tight enough! Remember, your bench press starts with your lats. Fire them first. So, if you let them relax???? You get the picture

Good training,
Robert Harris
Las Vegas, NV

Scooter
01-27-2009, 11:25 AM
I have the same problem as you and also have weak lats. Along with strengthening them I worked on leg drive, and also wide grip decline which puts a lot more focus getting out of the hole and less on the tris during lockout.

Pete22
01-27-2009, 07:06 PM
You can also try these http://atlargenutrition.com/reverse_band_pulldowns.php

Nice. Just tried these, I like.

themayor
01-28-2009, 04:46 PM
OK guys im going to hammer the lats hard and maybee post of video of my form.