PDA

View Full Version : A Beastly Meat Lasagna

Southern Beast
01-26-2009, 03:09 AM
I'm actually quite embarrassed that I did not photograph my wonderful creation, and I threw all the packages away before I could add up all the important nutritional information.

In actuality, it's probably not different than other lasagna. It's the way my mom taught me to make it, although over the years, I've made changes (added more meat, different sauce, switched to whole wheat noodles .. minor stuff).

Ingredients:

*** Box of Whole Wheat Lasagna (depends on the size of the pan; mine takes 15 noodles in all).

*** 1 lb. lean ground turkey

*** 1 lb. Italian ground sausage

*** 1 lb., 10 oz. jar of pasta sauce. I use different ones from time to time, but tonight, I used Ragu, flavored with meat. I usually opt for the lowest sodium items, and this one wasn't too bad.

*** 15 oz. part-skim milk Ricotta cheese

*** 4 cups low-fat mozzarella cheese

*** 1 egg

*** Italian seasoning

1) Preheat oven to 325.

2) In a skillet set to low, toss in italian sausage and ground turkey. Mix up with a fork, or mix prior in a bowl. I'm a lazy guy and don't want to do more dishes than I have to, so I just mixed them up in the skillet with a fork. When it's mixed pretty well and the meat is trying to brown ...

3) Start a big pot of boiling water (sprinkle a little salt in it) for your pasta noodles. Throw those bastards in there. I usually boil 5 at a time. While they begin to boil ...

4) In a large mixing bowl, empty all the ricotta cheese into it. Crack the egg into it, and sprinkle in a little Italian seasoning. You can also throw in a pat of butter, which I do. Mix it up pretty good. I mix for a bit, then throw in more seasoning. After it's mixed a little more, I set it aside in the fridge.

5) Go back to the meat. When it's all brown, empty the Ragu pasta sauce in it. Mix it up, and then set it to where it's just warming the meat and sauce.

6) Noodles should be ready to place in pan. Make sure your lasagna pan is Pam'd up, and lay your noodles down to cover the bottom. Then pull out the ricotta cheese from the fridge, and spatula over the noodles. Paint it on! Make it a nice, thin, even layer. Not too much, we got a few more layers to go!

7) Use a large spoon, or a ladle (your choice! :clown:) to add a layer of meat and sauce atop the ricotta cheese. You can be a little more generous with this, as you'll only have enough room for about two thick layers.

8) Get the mozzarella out from the Kraft bag, and sprinkle a healthy layer on top of the meat and sauce.

9) Repeat - Noodles, ricotta cheese, meat/sauce concoction, and mozzarella.

10) The top layer, throw down the last 5 noodles. On top, you can use the remaining ricotta cheese and mozzarella. I never have much meat at this point, but if you do, you can throw it on top, too.

11) This is taking too many steps, but it's tasty. So last part .. cover in foil, and place in the 325 oven for about 35 minutes. At 35-40 minute mark, take off the foil, and let it cook about another 20 minutes. You may want to keep an eye on it, as our oven is older and actually bakes a little hotter than 325. When the top is a nice golden-brown, take it out, and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes to cool.

12) While it's cooling for 10-15 minutes, check WBB and see if any of your friends have posted funny or amusing stuff.

It still may be a little hot after 15 minutes, but I promise it's really tasty. It may be better for you bulkers out there, such as myself right now, but as long as you watch your ingredients, it's a tasty Italian treat to indulge in every once in a while. One reason I like dishes like this, is because it's massive, so I can have a few portions today, but it'll still be good as leftovers for the next 2-3 days in the fridge.

Southern Beast
01-26-2009, 03:15 AM
I looked around at other sites to see how other folks make lasagna, and I am surprised they use so many ingredients. Personally, I like the taste of meat, cheese, and noodles. I add a hint of the Italian seasoning in mine, but I don't try to gussy it up with garlic, onions, extra tomato paste, and parsley. I'd like to hear some other feedback on what y'all do, but as for me, I keep it pretty simple.

Invain
02-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Damn man that sounds good. I might try it this week, although I'll just use beef instead of turkey.