PDA

View Full Version : Whey Protein & Kidney Stones

snikez
01-26-2009, 02:15 PM
I have heard that if you regularly take whey protein, it increases your risk of kidney stones. Does anyone know if this is true? I don't think I'd like kidney stones...

xcornontherobx
01-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Have you ever heard of someone getting kidney stones from a lot of milk and chicken? No, its nonsense, just like "squats are bad for your knees'. Just drink a lot of water and pee when you have to.

mcdonough9395
01-31-2009, 08:05 PM
What a kidney stone really is is a calcium build up. So taking in a lot of calcium with dairy foods like milk and cheese will increase your chances of getting kidney stones but this doesnt mean its a sure thing that you will get them.

Progress
02-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Some people are prone to kidney stones. I drink a lot of milk and eat a lot of protein, compared to the average person. I passed a kidney stone last summer and I tell you it was one of the most painful experiences I have ever felt and I've had my face broken.

bass slayer
02-02-2009, 08:49 AM
is that why you are supposed to drink so much water when you are on alot of protein and creatine?

jopeters
02-03-2009, 01:41 PM
does drinking more water help reduce any calcium buildup? sounds like a dumb question i know I just wondered because of the comments made above...

FFHill
02-03-2009, 01:55 PM
is that why you are supposed to drink so much water when you are on alot of protein and creatine?

Bingo! Protein is a larger molecule, so having plenty of water to flush it through your kidney's is good for their health. But like another poster said, you are certainly not guaranteed to have kidney stones just because you take protein shakes.

bass slayer
02-03-2009, 02:03 PM
so do you think 820z of water is enough in one day to keep you good?

VikingWarlord
02-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Some people are prone to kidney stones. I drink a lot of milk and eat a lot of protein, compared to the average person. I passed a kidney stone last summer and I tell you it was one of the most painful experiences I have ever felt and I've had my face broken.

I had one of those once about 11 years ago. I don't know what caused it but it was horrific. I actually heard the bastard hit the toilet, then my piss turned red.

It was ****ing metal.

I had a friend that, for some reason, got really bad stones when he drank beer. No one had any idea why, but that's the only variable that he'd been an. Beer = stones, no beer = no stones.

FFHill
02-03-2009, 03:37 PM
so do you think 820z of water is enough in one day to keep you good?

That should be pretty good starting point I would think, but depending on your protein intake you may have to adjust it. Obviously if you are sweating a lot you'll need to make sure you replace it, etc. If you start pissing every 10 minutes, you can cut back.

Brad08
02-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I had one of those once about 11 years ago. I don't know what caused it but it was horrific. I actually heard the bastard hit the toilet, then my piss turned red.

It was ****ing metal.

****, that's convinced me to start chugging the water with as much protein as I eat.

VikingWarlord
02-03-2009, 04:24 PM
****, that's convinced me to start chugging the water with as much protein as I eat.

Well, I only had one one time 11 years ago. I haven't had a problem since I started high protein dieting maybe 3 years ago. I also drink about 2 gallons of water a day because I get ridiculously thirsty, but I'm not sure if there's a causal relationship there.

bass slayer
02-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Well, I only had one one time 11 years ago. I haven't had a problem since I started high protein dieting maybe 3 years ago. I also drink about 2 gallons of water a day because I get ridiculously thirsty, but I'm not sure if there's a causal relationship there.

dang 2 gallons of water a day. Do you buy water by the gallon or do you just drink tap water? where I live the tap water is pretty much undrinkable so i have to get water by the gallon, that would be expensive to drink that much water in one day

VikingWarlord
02-03-2009, 04:43 PM
dang 2 gallons of water a day. Do you buy water by the gallon or do you just drink tap water? where I live the tap water is pretty much undrinkable so i have to get water by the gallon, that would be expensive to drink that much water in one day

I have a 1L bottle that I fill up about 7 times a day at work. The drinking fountains are filtered and then I have a Brita pitcher at home to remove the crunch from the city water.

Needless to say that water is in addition to whatever diet sodas and milk I throw down during the day too.

mcdonough9395
02-03-2009, 04:57 PM
general rule for how much water to drink a day is 8oz. for every 10-12.5 lbs. of body weight. So if you weigh 180 you should take in about 140oz. if your taking in a lot of protein.

VikingWarlord
02-03-2009, 05:01 PM
general rule for how much water to drink a day is 8oz. for every 10-12.5 lbs. of body weight. So if you weigh 180 you should take in about 140oz. if your taking in a lot of protein.

No, not really. (http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/The_Diet_Detective__Hydration_basics.htm)

Progress
02-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Often times, kidney stones can be prevented by drinking massive quantities of water thereby diluting the mineral or stone-forming salts in the urine.

Progress
02-04-2009, 08:30 AM

It was ****ing metal.

I had a friend that, for some reason, got really bad stones when he drank beer. No one had any idea why, but that's the only variable that he'd been an. Beer = stones, no beer = no stones.

That must have sucked. Mine was different. Imagine have the most incredible stomach ache and cramping last for about 8 hours straight. While you're at work. I had no idea what had happened until I told my parents and they knew exactly what had happened.

DanielB
02-06-2009, 10:53 AM
I had a calcium stone last year. It is very painful to pass one, and my urologist said that I would probably get another one within the next five years. I drank allot of milk and ate allot of dairy products. He told me that is what caused the stone was my 3 glasses of 2% milk a day plus eating foods high in calcium. I now do skim milk and because my wife is lactose intolerant I get less foods with calcium in them. The urologist said that people who drink allot of acidic drinks such as orange juice and pure lemonade have less of a chance because the acid breaks up the calcium. You can also do cider vingegar tablets or do a straight teaspoon 3 times a day to help prevent them too. I do the tablets which you can find at any health food store. Just my 2 cents.