PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a simple new routine

Live
01-28-2009, 11:41 AM
I just finished SS and made great progress with it in a short time. But squatting 3 times a week is no longer agreeing with me. I was thinking of transitioning to the texas method, but the 3rd day routines that involve working to a single set of either a single, a double, or a triple seems very odd to me.

There is an exact thread like this in the BB section, but Im just looking to continue to raise my lifts, have any of you seen good results with the texas method? Is there another routine anyone thinks would be better?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Eric Downey
01-28-2009, 09:22 PM
you can try mine its pretty easy

monday
squat/deads

tues
close grip bench/bi's/shoulders

thurs
back/deads from higher pull

sat
heavy bench

Live
01-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks, I think i'll give it a try :)

Guido
01-29-2009, 07:55 AM
You can try Wendler's 5-3-1 program. I can attest that it's working well for me so far and a lot of other people have had great results from it. It's pretty basic, as well.

Brad08
01-29-2009, 08:11 AM
I just finished SS and made great progress with it in a short time.

SS is a beginner's program based on making linear progress as long as possible. I assume you've reached the point where you can no longer make linear progress (i.e., you can't add weight to the bar each session)? If so, then the Texas Method is a great next step, it simply has you progressing (adding weight) each Friday, which is why you work up to a top single, double, or triple (actually, I thought it was a top set of 5, but maybe not). The goal should be to get strong as fast as possible and the TM is designed to do that. There are a million ways to skin a cat but the TM works.

But squatting 3 times a week is no longer agreeing with me. I was thinking of transitioning to the texas method, but the 3rd day routines that involve working to a single set of either a single, a double, or a triple seems very odd to me.

Why is that odd? That's basically what you do on a Westside ME lower day, right?