PDA

View Full Version : question for vincent dizenzo and travis bell ...

xolix
01-28-2009, 01:37 PM
when do you guys deload ? is it planed ?

and why are you so against heavy tricepswork after de-benching ? i have the books from elitefts (max effort, bench manual...) where it is a normal thing to do it so...

Travis Bell
01-28-2009, 01:43 PM
I've been deloading less and less as time goes on. I've gotten to the point where I can tell when I need to just rein it in a little bit during my workouts. I'm also not in my shirt every week so I can recover faster.

DE day should be light and fast. More focused on recovery, speed, form. Not beating up your triceps. Save that for ME day. This is what I believe is most effective. This doesn't mean I do really light sets of 15 or whatever, more in the 8-10 range. I'm more against heavy boards after DE benching. If you want to do heavy high boards, do them on your ME day IMO.

xolix
01-28-2009, 02:15 PM
I've been deloading less and less as time goes on. I've gotten to the point where I can tell when I need to just rein it in a little bit during my workouts. I'm also not in my shirt every week so I can recover faster.

DE day should be light and fast. More focused on recovery, speed, form. Not beating up your triceps. Save that for ME day. This is what I believe is most effective. This doesn't mean I do really light sets of 15 or whatever, more in the 8-10 range. I'm more against heavy boards after DE benching. If you want to do heavy high boards, do them on your ME day IMO.

you tried this (de+lockoutwork) and figured out , this was too much ?

Sunday (dynamic effort bench press)
Exercise 1
Bench press: Perform eight sets of three repetitions (using chains, bands, or straight weight). Be sure to follow the guidelines given previously.

Exercise 2
Triceps (high intensity/low volume): This will be a pressing exercise such as a high rack lockout or a 4- or 5-board press. You can use chains or bands on any of these exercises. Perform 23 sets of 35 repetitions. Record your records on each board and pin and try to break them.

Exercise 3
Dumbbell pressing exercise: This is a great way to strengthen your shoulders and chest. This is crucial for developing power from the bottom end of your bench press. Some good choices are the dumbbell bench, incline bench, military press, and floor press. Change this every couple of weeks and perform 35 sets of 815 repetitions.

Exercise 4
Some kind of lat exercise: Pick one from the list and pull 35 sets of 815 reps.

Wednesday (max effort bench press)
Exercise 1
Max effort exercise: Choose one max effort exercise and go for a new 13RM.

Exercise 2
Triceps exercise (low intensity/high volume): Choose one extension or push-down and perform 35 sets of 1015 reps. JM presses can also be done.

Exercise 3
Lat exercise: Choose one lat exercise and perform 35 sets of 615 reps.

Exercise 4
Upper back exercise: Choose one upper back/trap exercise and perform 35 sets of 1020 reps.

this is from the bench manual (dave tate...) thats why i am wondering about your strictly opinion against it..

Sidior
01-28-2009, 02:22 PM
There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Hazerboy
01-28-2009, 03:44 PM
There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Ditto. I train a lil differently than travis, and I think thats because my numbers aren't that high yet (or maybe they're not that high yet because I don't train like travis? XD ). After my usual ME movement I'm completly gassed, I can't really go heavy on anything else. Like, I've tried board work after ME stuff a few times and my numbers were just awful compared to my bests. Maybe its like that for everyone.

Anyways, for this reason I'll usually throw in some sort of heavy though not maximal effort excercise on my DE day, maybe like 3x5 floor presses or something. This really help me "learn" a lot of ME movements I wasn't used to yet either -- i started out repping on floor press basically the same thing I could rep on bench, and that drastically increased over a several week period.

I figure once my numbers get better I'll be doing something similiar to the big guys.

Travis Bell
01-28-2009, 03:52 PM
I understand you guys are tired so I say this not sarcasticly, but how do you plan on increasing your strength and endurance if you never push yourselves?

To the OP, you didn't ask if I thought that program was effective, from the looks of it, that would probably work, but I myself would not do that. You asked why Vin and I do what we do.

I actually have Lones typically doing 2 ME exercises to help bring up his endurance as well as bump up the volume. If you read my log, where I'm at now I'm getting a ton of volume in on ME day, but if your numbers are lower, you'd need to add something to bring up the volume.

Push yourself boys. You won't reach your potential by staying in the shallow end of the pool. You don't have to hit PR's on your second stuff, you just need to take it to maximum effort. Max effort means just that, the most you can do. If that is a little less on the second exercise than the first, so be it. You're still pushing yourself. ME day is the day to push yourself very hard. I was pooped today when i went to do reps with 405, but I didn't NOT do it because I was afraid I might not hit my PR. I did it because I want to be stronger.

Darracq
01-28-2009, 04:29 PM
If your making progress then ii guess it is working, But heavy pressing 2 times a week is way to much for me, even if one day is boards.

Travis Bell
01-28-2009, 04:31 PM
LOL that's what I'm saying NOT to do!

Lones Green
01-28-2009, 04:41 PM
2 max effort exercises on ME bench day is brutal, but it works. It works damn good.

vdizenzo
01-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Seems like all is answered here. Dizenzo out!