PDA

View Full Version : CKD and Leg Cramping

Lean-N-Mean
01-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Hi guys and gals, I am now in my second cycle of the diet and have seen some pretty good results; however, one thing is bothering me. Its particularly noticeable in the morning after I wake up and stretch, and that is my calves cramp up and I usually get a charlie-horse if I'm not careful. I use my Fitday program religiously and today I decided to see if I could find anything that stood out that might explain this. I think I have narrowed it down, but I want to get the board's opinion. My daily intake of Potassium is around 30% RDA, could this be the culprit? Prior to my CKD I was only getting 60% of my Potassium, but never had any problems. Now that I have cut out milk for all but 1 day of the week, my Potassium level has dropped significantly. I take a multivitamin, but the one I take obviously is not a rich source of Potassium. 2 minerals that I am under the RDA by 70% or more are Pantothenic Acid and Magnesium. Other than that my vitamins and minerals are all in the 80% or higher RDA. Thanks for the help!

Holto
01-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Just bear in mind that RDA's are bare minimum's needed to prevent disease. I think in essence you've answered your own question.

What multi are you taking?

Lean-N-Mean
01-29-2009, 11:51 AM
I thought so. I am taking a generic CVS brand multivitamin called Spectravite. I will look for a potassium supplement and see if that helps. Thanks Holto.

** I actually just checked the vitamin label and the Pantothenic Acid level is just fine, there is no place on Fitday to enter that information on a custom "food", yet for some reason it measures it anyways.

whiteman90909
01-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Eat a banana?...

Unreal
01-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Eat a banana?...

There are fruits and veggies with more potassium then bananas. Potatoes, tomatoes, lima beans, spinach, yogurt, raisens etc all have more then a banana. A banana is good but for some reason people think it is the best source for potassium when there are plenty of other options, and a lot of them with more.