PDA

View Full Version : So I f'ed my back

AJ_H
01-30-2009, 05:41 AM
and now it needs fixing asap because I'm going on snowboarding in Canada in 2 weeks. It's been stiff now, nothing dire, but I wouldn't want to do anything strenuous (like snowboarding), for 2 weeks after a session of deadlifts, power-cleans and explosive barbell rows. I've deadlifted a load of times and never experienced anything like this before.

Well I've been doing some back stretches (bending backwards, not forwards) and thinking of doing some light exercises in case that might help (plank, bodyweight squats, hyperextensions, etc.) ... or would just eff it up? Also I went to see the doc, told him it'd been stiff for nearly a fortnight since I'd been at the gym and that I'd been taking ibuprofen(didn't even bother to tell him I'd been doing deadlifts, because I knew what the reaction would be ... DLs are bad for your back, bla bla bla). He just asked me where exactly the pain was (mid-portion of lower-back) and gave me something 'stronger than ibuprofen' which turned out basically just to be some painkillers (wtf???) and said to come back in 2 weeks if its still bad and he'll refer me to a physio, but that's when I go snowboarding! In the UK, to see a physio, you have to first see a doctor then s/he'll refer you via the NHA which'll take 6 weeks, which is a bloody pain in the arse. Why can't you just see the physio straight off and cut out all the middle men, that way you'd save time (in which your injury could be getting worse and worse) and just get it fixed straight off. GPs are suited for other things, but not really this kind of field.

Suggestions anyone?

Cheers, AH

Sensei
01-30-2009, 06:03 AM
Rest is very underrated.

NSAIDs and muscle relaxants can actually be a good thing with some symptoms. Don't just dismiss them so quickly.

bigdayday
01-30-2009, 07:02 PM
As long as it's not a serious injury and just beat up from lifting. The best thing to do with a sore low back, is go for a walk. Sitting around will just make it worse. Get up and move, go for a descent walk everyday and get the blood flowing into those sore muscles. I guarantee it will start to feel better half way through. Stretching, foam rolling, massage all this will help too. But with my experience nothing helps my sore back as much as a simple walk for 30-45 mins.