PDA

View Full Version : Carbs

Mantra
01-30-2009, 04:22 PM
As a guy who's trying to gain a little weight, but moreso get cut and build lean muscle mass:

1. What kind of carbs should I be eating?
2. What kind of carbs should I be avoiding?

king8329
01-30-2009, 11:57 PM
You dont really need to "avoid " any type of carbohydrate. Each type has a function. In its most basic form though, get complex carbs over simple sugar carbs.

RichMcGuire
02-01-2009, 02:39 AM
As a guy who's trying to gain a little weight, but moreso get cut and build lean muscle mass:

1. What kind of carbs should I be eating?
2. What kind of carbs should I be avoiding?

Getting cut and gaining mass dont really go hand in hand. If you are trying to gain mass without much body fat, get carbs before and after workouts while you keep other meals mostly protein and fat. I, however, personally feel its easier to work with stages in muscle gain and fat losses.

anonymous1
02-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Immediately upon waking you want 25-50g of carbs, about half of it fructose if you want to be precise, but this won't make a huge difference. It is just to help preferentially saturate liver glycogen which is depleted during sleep, but the body will take care of it if you don't - it will just delay digestion a bit.

During your workout, or right before you want to have another 25-50g of carbs this time no fructose, that is only a morning thing, something like waxy waize or dextrose, best mixed with 5g of creatine and 1-2 scoops of whey.

After the workout, any protein source and a solid complex carb. I do a can of tuna, and 1 cup of oats mixed with 2 scoops whey. A protein blend would probably be better, though.

Other than that, you just fill in calorie requirements with complex fibrous carbs. Stuff like oatmeal, brown rice, kamut spirals, vegetables, whole grain breads, etc. You could also fill in some of these calories with fats (fish oil, olive oil, look up essential fatty acids) as the only crutial times carbs are needed are the times I first outlined.

As for avoiding, it's not that but timing. You want simple sugars right before/during/after, and some right when you wake up, and complex fibrous carbs otherwise.