PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Bloated!!!

JAT1975
01-30-2009, 09:20 PM
I am way too fat! 6'1" and 310 lbs. I have been thinking about switching from Muscle Milk to straight whey protein (I am pretty sure I saw that recommended on another thread here). How often and when should I be taking protein shakes? I am currently taking a shake at breakfast, a shake about 1 hour before a workout, and another after my workout. I feel bloated constantly.

I have been making great strength gains, but there's gotta be a way to do it without feeling like I'm going to puke during my workouts.

Any advice on how often and when to take protein?

Unreal
01-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Protein is just food. Shakes and protein supplements are a way to add more protein to your diet. Add it when you need it.

bigwazo
01-31-2009, 11:53 AM
hes right man

JAT1975
01-31-2009, 01:38 PM
I get that. Is there an optimum time to take a shake, though? Is it most usefule before or after a workout? How much protein intake should I have in a day? I don't know diddly squat about nutrition.

redwolf4k
02-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Post workout is the optimum time, But you also want to maintain high protein meals throughout the day, whether its off or on lifting day. Stick to 6 or 8 smaller meals, to keep your body digesting and your metabolism up. A post workout shake, is always a smart idea, and a shake like muscle milk i believe is superior to a regular straight whey mix. It's not all about the shake though. A shake when you wake up, right after your workout (this shake should be heavier, mixed with milk, and egg whites, and a bannana). And then one before bed is fine, but its going to take clean high protein foods and good carb sources like lots of fresh veggies to keep you eating clean and trimming fat.

BUT...

If you feel your body fat % is too high at this point, and its making you sluggish, you should probablly work on ridding yourself of that while maintaining the muscle you have, and a little less on building muscle and strength (since thats going to take alot of food). "I am way too fat! 6'1" and 310 lbs" You said it yourself, right off the bat.

Your overall goal should be to be healthy. I don't think somthing as small as switching from whey protein from muscle milk is going to slim you down IMO.

What is your diet like now? Do you have any cardio in your routine? I know alot of these hardcore guys claim zero cardio is the best for gains but lets be serious here, if you feel overweight then its time.

Let us know what your whole meal schedule is like and what your routine is.

JAT1975
02-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks Red. I know changing shakes alone isn't going to cure my problems. I really don't have a meal schedule. I have a really hectic schedule so sometimes I eat and sometimes I don't. This has somewhat led me to an eat all I can when I can lifestyle that has really helped me pack on the pounds. I'm not making excuses, I eat the food and I know the consequences.

I just started doing cardio this week and I like the way it makes me feel. I seem to have a bit more energy. I'm stronger now than I have ever been. I'd like to be able to see a bit of my effort when I look in the mirror.

I lift on Monday (back, biceps, & forearms), Wednesday (chest and triceps), Friday (shoulders and legs). I just started doing cardio this week. I plan to do 1/2 hour to 45 minutes on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday and leave Sunday as a rest day. Does this sound like enough cardio or should I do more?

tacoman9251
02-04-2009, 05:25 PM
If you want to shed weight, keep up with eating 5 to 6 meals a day, just eat low fat. But eat often. I make a dozen hard boiled eggs a day, and eat them in between my regular meals. As far as whey, I always heard 1 to maintain 2 to grow. 30 min. before you work out.

VikingWarlord
02-04-2009, 05:35 PM
OP: You're asking the wrong question. When to take protein supplements doesn't matter if the rest of your diet sucks. We all need more information in order to help.

What are your macros like? How many calories do you consume every day? How much progress have you already made and how long did it take you to get there?

Post workout is the optimum time, But you also want to maintain high protein meals throughout the day, whether its off or on lifting day. Stick to 6 or 8 smaller meals, to keep your body digesting and your metabolism up.

False. There is no measurable benefit to eating more frequently, it is 100% a comfort issue. This is a myth that NEEDS to die.

A post workout shake, is always a smart idea, and a shake like muscle milk i believe is superior to a regular straight whey mix. It's not all about the shake though. A shake when you wake up, right after your workout (this shake should be heavier, mixed with milk, and egg whites, and a bannana). And then one before bed is fine, but its going to take clean high protein foods and good carb sources like lots of fresh veggies to keep you eating clean and trimming fat.

Jesus. What?

A shake immediately (within about 45 minutes or so) after the workout is the only one that's really important. Several sources suggest that the optimal mix for recovery is about a 2:1 carb:protein mixture...like dextrose and whey.

That's really the only one that's anything close to necessary and that's only because of the high bioavailability...it gets into your system to boost recovery during the first phase of the anabolic window. I say it's only close to necessary just because if you eat real food 2-3 hours before your workout, it should be broken down enough to start feeding your muscles by the time you're done training.

Your overall goal should be to be healthy.

Good sentiment, but you need to define the word "healthy". That can have many meanings for many people. I've been having a discussion on another forum about this very subject.

I know alot of these hardcore guys claim zero cardio is the best for gains but lets be serious here, if you feel overweight then its time.

Depends on the type and what kind of cardiovascular shape he's in right now. Check out How To Do Cardio If You Must (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=292).

redwolf4k
02-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Viking Warlord, although I appreciate your input, I think your picking my statement apart just a tad too much. I disagree with you on the meal frequency subject. You have a right to your opinions though.

JAT,

Since I don't know alot about your current condition, I can't really recommend a cardio program or frequency of cardio done.

I can really only go off of you saying that you said you are "Fat" in your initial post, and if such is the case, what I would do, personally if I determined myself to be overweight, was stop concentrating on establishing a diet to build muscle, and work on establishing a diet to get lean., while working to maintain my strength and current muscle mass.

VikingWarlord
02-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Viking Warlord, although I appreciate your input, I think your picking my statement apart just a tad too much. I disagree with you on the meal frequency subject. You have a right to your opinions though.

I picked your statement apart because it was full of incomplete and incorrect information.

It has nothing to do with opinion. There has never been any conclusive evidence to suggest that more frequent smaller meals provides any real, measurable difference in metabolism over less frequent larger meals. The science just doesn't back up that statement.

ETA: That's not to say that either one is superior but the assertion that smaller, more frequent meals is a necessity just isn't correct. It's 100% an issue of comfort. It's far more important when you eat than how much how often.