PDA

View Full Version : Doing Belt Squats W/O a Belt Squat Machine

geoffsherman
02-01-2009, 02:54 PM
I have been incorporating belt squats into my routine. I don't have a machine so I have been attaching a dumbbell to a dip belt and squatting off of two boxes. However, I am now ready for more weight than the highest dumbbell my gym has. I have been attaching 5's and 10s, but that is not working real well anymore. Some folks had told me to attach the dip belt to the low rung of a cable station, but I find that is pulling me forward more than pulling me down. I figured this board might have some experience so I am looking for any recommendations on a good method to do these when you are out of dumbbells. Thanks in advance.

Chris Rodgers
02-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Why can't you attach plates to the dip belt?

KarstenDD
02-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Also standing on a box or plates or something and hooking your belt to a cable low row or something similar.

bigmoney
02-01-2009, 03:10 PM
I stood on cinder blocks and attached up to 5 25's with a dip belt. Worked pretty well despite the chain digging into your groin.

geoffsherman
02-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Our dumbbells go up to 120 and I have added up to 2 10s and am now just running out of chain length to hang all of this stuff onto. I tried plates, but found that after 3 45s, the plates just don'twork well. I have seen one of those plate loading pins that Elite sells that look pretty good, but I am trying to get around that if possible.

I did try the low cable, but I found that itwas pulling me forward than down. Am I not setting it up properly?

Kenny Croxdale
02-02-2009, 08:14 AM
I have been incorporating belt squats into my routine. I don't have a machine so I have been attaching a dumbbell to a dip belt and squatting off of two boxes. However, I am now ready for more weight than the highest dumbbell my gym has. I have been attaching 5's and 10s, but that is not working real well anymore. Some folks had told me to attach the dip belt to the low rung of a cable station, but I find that is pulling me forward more than pulling me down. I figured this board might have some experience so I am looking for any recommendations on a good method to do these when you are out of dumbbells. Thanks in advance.

Geoff,

I've performed Belt Squats for about 10 years. Standing on two boxes and performing Belt Squats works.

A much better method of increasing the load is to purchase a "Loading Pin" from Ironmind. You can load about 500 lbs on the "Loading Pin".

Just squat down, attach you dip belt to a carabiner attached to the pin and squat.

The size of the plates you use is going to determine how wide you have to place the boxes. Example: If you use 45 lb Olympic plates, you going to squat fairly wide. If you use 25 lb plates, you can squat a bit more narrow.

As you noted, Belt Squats from a low cable pulley, pull you forward. They don't feel right.

Also, loading plates on a dip belt is a pain in the ass. And it hard to get up and down on the boxes. Not the case with when you use the loading pin.

It easy to load, position yourself and squat.

Kenny Croxdale

KarstenDD
02-02-2009, 08:42 AM
I did try the low cable, but I found that itwas pulling me forward than down. Am I not setting it up properly?

Try setting it up so you are facing away from the cable. Hook it up so it pulls between your legs, just be careful in doing that.