PDA

View Full Version : hamstrings

slashkills
02-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Im looking for some good accessory lifts to hit my hamstrings on squat/ deadlift day. Im currently following a basic westside template so goodmornings and squat are my Me exercises. I only have dumbells and a squat rack/bench.What are some of your favorite lifts for hamstrings?

Lones Green
02-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Im looking for some good accessory lifts to hit my hamstrings on squat/ deadlift day. Im currently following a basic westside template so goodmornings and squat are my Me exercises. I only have dumbells and a squat rack/bench.What are some of your favorite lifts for hamstrings?

Goodmornings and squats both hit the hamstrings very nicely. With the setup you have:

GHR's with someone holding your ankles
band leg curls
many variations of GM's...arch back, round back, close stance, wide stance
different variations of the deadlift

mike95763
02-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Romanian and straight leg dead lifts. Also GMs with straight legs seem to hit my hams some. Also if you squat narrow, try squatting wider seems to get more hams involved.

slashkills
02-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Could i rig the GHR with a belt around my legs and the bench if i didnt have a training partner occasionally? Totally forgot about the band leg curls. thanks

ZenMonkey
02-02-2009, 03:50 PM
RDLs are the shiznit.

Ben Moore
02-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Could i rig the GHR with a belt around my legs and the bench if i didnt have a training partner occasionally? Totally forgot about the band leg curls. thanks

TXStrong on here has a video showing how he rigged it in his powerrack with a barbell. Also, Sensei shows how to do it with a swiss ball in one of his SquatRX vids.

slashkills
02-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks ben, i found txstrong's video & thats probably what ill do.

Hazerboy
02-02-2009, 10:09 PM
I always liked SLDL, but usually they're just too exhausting to get anything out of them, especially after your ME excercises.

Guido
02-03-2009, 07:41 AM
For GHR's, you can just find something at the right height to put your feet under (such as under the spotting platform of a Forza bench). Just use a folded up towel or pad for your knees. Might need some weight on the bench to hold it down, too.

slashkills
02-03-2009, 04:46 PM
thanks guys. ill try the GHR a couple different ways and see what i like best. One last question. The westside barbell book says use good mornings as your one Me exercise. and work up to a 1 rep max. Now i know some people on here dont like doing 1 rep maxes with goodmornings so i was wondering if you guys recomend not using these as my main lift on ME day but instead as and accessory lift. OR should i stick with it as one of my main ME exercises but do it for 3-5reps to near failure?

Twirl
02-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Hack squats and sldl's are the ones I find the most helpful imo

bigdayday
02-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Goodmornings are an awesome strength builder. I have done them for 1 rep max's, 3-5 rep max's and high rep sets of 10-15. Also using the chaos method (hanging plates,kettlebells,dumbells, from the bar with bands) is a great way to do goodmornings for higher reps. If you have not done them very much I would suggest using them as an accessory lift until you get comfortable with them and get your form down. After you get comfortable with them, they are a great max effort lift. I usually keep the ME work to arched back (for squat) and chain suspended goodmornings (for deadlift). Which are the two best versions. There is nothing dangerous about the goodmornings, like some people say. As long as you do them right and keep good form, like every other lift. Stop and take a look at stone lifting and then try to tell me a heavy goodmorning is dangerous. Experiment and find out what works for you.

mike95763
02-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Hack squats and sldl's are the ones I find the most helpful imo

When I do hack squats (behind the back deads) I feel a ton of burn in my quads and almost nothing in my hams (as opposed to SLDL or RDL or even sumo deads). Then again I may well be doing them incorrectly.