PDA

View Full Version : Squatting and monolift height

BigTallOx
02-02-2009, 04:30 PM
I've never squatted from a monolift before, based on other meets I went (to but didn't squat at), I'm assuming that's what they'll be using at the meet a week from Saturday. I know that some squat racks don't adjust as high as I'd like ( thankfully the one I usually use does ), so it got me wondering about how high monolifts can be adjusted. Does anybody know?

Ben Moore
02-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Depends on the monolift, but I've seen some pretty tall guys squat just fine out of one.

whotime
02-03-2009, 07:16 AM
I've never squatted from a monolift before, based on other meets I went (to but didn't squat at), I'm assuming that's what they'll be using at the meet a week from Saturday. I know that some squat racks don't adjust as high as I'd like ( thankfully the one I usually use does ), so it got me wondering about how high monolifts can be adjusted. Does anybody know?

the one we have goes up to the number 25 so you should be fine, remember you are going to lose some height as the weight goes up so remember to drop it about a notch or 2, i start at 15 but when i get up to 600lbs i drop it to 13.

Lones Green
02-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Yeah you'll want it low. I made that mistake at my first meet, LOL

I start at 18 then drop it to 16

BigTallOx
02-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Yeah you'll want it low. I made that mistake at my first meet, LOL

I start at 18 then drop it to 16

OK. Please explain why low is better though. Also, I won't have access to a monolift before the meet, is there any other way to get an idea of what it's like? Or is it something I really shouldn't worry about?

Ben Moore
02-03-2009, 04:21 PM
It takes a bit to get used to but it didn't affect me that much the first time. What they mean is as the weight goes up the bar will bend more and require less height on the mono to clear the hooks.

Lones Green
02-03-2009, 04:23 PM
OK. Please explain why low is better though. Also, I won't have access to a monolift before the meet, is there any other way to get an idea of what it's like? Or is it something I really shouldn't worry about?

As for height, listen to what Ben said. Theres really nothing like squatting on a monolift, you can do a ghetto monolift on a power rack with pins but its a bit dangerous. It messes with some people and some it doesn't mess with at all.

Brian Hopper
02-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Damn, how tall are you guys? i must be pretty damn short. im 5'7 and i usually have mine set at 6. we use an elitefts monolift.

BigTallOx
02-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Damn, how tall are you guys?

I'm 6'8".

i must be pretty damn short.

No I don't think so. How many 6'8" powerlifters have you seen? ;)

im 5'7 and i usually have mine set at 6. we use an elitefts monolift.

AH, that combined with what lonesXedge said is exactly what I needed to know. I believe lonesXedge is 6'4" and he said his setting starts at 18, so...

5'7" = 67"
6'4" = 76"
6'8" = 80"

change in monolift setting/ change in height = (18 - 6)/(76" - 67") = 1.33 per inch.

So...

My setting should start at = lonesXedge setting + 1.33/inch * ( 80" - 76" )
= 18 + 1.33 * 4
= 23.3

So if everything is linear ( which it is NOT but ), my setting would be around 23. So if their monolift goes up to 25, I should be fine.

Thanks everybody.

Reko
02-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Aside form the bar bending with more weight, you will also compress a little as you unrack it as well.

The thing I messed up on first time in a monolift was not getting my feet set out where I needed them. I got them close to wide enough, but when I start squatting it felt different because of it. But, we have one now, so now I just have to have people unrack it and re rack it for me :P.
Freaking tall people haha.

Ben Moore
02-03-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm 6'8".

No I don't think so. How many 6'8" powerlifters have you seen? ;)

AH, that combined with what lonesXedge said is exactly what I needed to know. I believe lonesXedge is 6'4" and he said his setting starts at 18, so...

5'7" = 67"
6'4" = 76"
6'8" = 80"

change in monolift setting/ change in height = (18 - 6)/(76" - 67") = 1.33 per inch.

So...

My setting should start at = lonesXedge setting + 1.33/inch * ( 80" - 76" )
= 18 + 1.33 * 4
= 23.3

So if everything is linear ( which it is NOT but ), my setting would be around 23. So if their monolift goes up to 25, I should be fine.

Thanks everybody.
There's way too much math there for me, but hopefully that says you figured it out...:bash:

BigTallOx
02-03-2009, 09:49 PM
There's way too much math there for me, but hopefully that says you figured it out...:bash:

LOL, yeah I was a mathematician/physicist in a previous life.