PDA

View Full Version : Baseball and Powerlifting

mosley1990
02-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Ok, so, baseball season is approaching and if i dont play we probably wont be able to have a team. I cant let my teammates down b/c weve played together for the past 4 year but, i also dont want to give up powerlifting for 3-4 months. Could you all please help me figure a way to try to balance the two as best as possible? i want to maintain my strength as much as possible. any help is appreciated.

geoffsherman
02-03-2009, 12:14 PM
This is an easy one. You have the rest of your life to powerlift, but the opportunity to play ball with your buddies will come to an end before you know it.

I think you can continue to work on your lower body, but you are going to have to change the focus of your upper body work. Heavy bench pressing and baseball don't really fit. I would recommend reading up on DeFranco's WS4SB as it is a great template for athletes who want to get stronger.

Travis Bell
02-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Its going to be very difficult to maintain both. You need the flexibility in your upper body. I'd really dial back the powerlifting during baseball season. it'll only frustrate you. 3-4mths off won't kill you. You'll experience some significant losses on your main lifts, but they'll come back

mosley1990
02-03-2009, 12:39 PM
I hate to lose progress. Its a terrible feeling going backwards lol. What type of lifting schedule would you all recommend? I know it will probably have to stay lighter than im currently going but, i just dont want to lose a lot of my strength.

bass slayer
02-03-2009, 12:52 PM
What posistion do you play?????

mosley1990
02-03-2009, 01:16 PM
1st, 3rd, and probably have to pitch some this year lol. ive played many positions. Imagine a 300+lb outfielder lol..that was me last year.

geoffsherman
02-03-2009, 02:22 PM
If you are going to lift then here are my recommendations:
- For lower body, deadlift and squat with another assistance exercise. Use the other time to focus on flexibility work.
- For upper body, eliminate most of the pressing movements. Most of your work should be for your back. Again, most of your effort should be focused on flexibility and mobility
- Dial-Up your core, forearm and plyometric work which will directly help your baseball, but won't cause any flexibility issues.

Truthfully, if you are going to be pitching or in another position which requires a lot of shoulder movement, I would almost eliminate chest, tricep, and shoulder work because it is going to hurt your flexibility which could lead to bad mechanics and injuries.

mosley1990
02-03-2009, 02:26 PM
If you are going to lift then here are my recommendations:
- For lower body, deadlift and squat with another assistance exercise. Use the other time to focus on flexibility work.
- For upper body, eliminate most of the pressing movements. Most of your work should be for your back. Again, most of your effort should be focused on flexibility and mobility
- Dial-Up your core, forearm and plyometric work which will directly help your baseball, but won't cause any flexibility issues.

Truthfully, if you are going to be pitching or in another position which requires a lot of shoulder movement, I would almost eliminate chest, tricep, and shoulder work because it is going to hurt your flexibility which could lead to bad mechanics and injuries.

Oh man, powerlifting for just this short period of time has stiffened up my shoulder flexibility a lot lol. if i end up pitching it wont be for long probably lol. thanks for your help.

Kiknskreem
02-03-2009, 03:23 PM
This is high school baseball? And you're not a particularly serious/competitive team?

If so, and taking into account your bodyweight and numbers I don't see why playing would have to put a big hit on your lifting.

Something simple, twice a week full body, lower volume, slightly lower intensity and I'd think you would be fine....

Something simple like

Squat 3x5
OH Press 3x5
Power-Cleans

Deadlift 1x5
Bench Press 3x5
Pullups

geoffsherman
02-03-2009, 05:28 PM
This is high school baseball? And you're not a particularly serious/competitive team?

If so, and taking into account your bodyweight and numbers I don't see why playing would have to put a big hit on your lifting.

Something simple, twice a week full body, lower volume, slightly lower intensity and I'd think you would be fine....

Something simple like

Squat 3x5
OH Press 3x5
Power-Cleans

Deadlift 1x5
Bench Press 3x5
Pullups

I respectfully disagree. Even if you are playing for fun, OH Press and Bench Presses will decrease yoru shoulder girdle flexibility. Decreasing range of motion will limit your performance, and, more importantly, cause injuries.

Travis Bell
02-03-2009, 05:33 PM
1st, 3rd, and probably have to pitch some this year lol. ive played many positions. Imagine a 300+lb outfielder lol..that was me last year.

Considering the positions you play, forget benching for awhile. At least heavy benching. Sets of 8-10 may not hurt, but you need that flexibility so I'd actually start stretching now.

If you don't want to lose strength, don't play baseball. If you want to play baseball, be comfortable realizing you're going to need to work to regain your strength.

geoffsherman
02-03-2009, 05:47 PM
I would probably also add that a purchase of a foam roller will be invaluable. I have started using that and a baseball for soft tissue release and they have really helped me out. I played a lot of baseball and have constantly had problems to this day with my rotator cuff(s) and these two tools have really helped out. Just be prepared to whimper a little the first few times :)

mosley1990
02-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Considering the positions you play, forget benching for awhile. At least heavy benching. Sets of 8-10 may not hurt, but you need that flexibility so I'd actually start stretching now.

If you don't want to lose strength, don't play baseball. If you want to play baseball, be comfortable realizing you're going to need to work to regain your strength.
Im not comfortable w/ losing strength but, more importantly is not pissing all my teammates off. i just hope i dont lose too much.

I would probably also add that a purchase of a foam roller will be invaluable. I have started using that and a baseball for soft tissue release and they have really helped me out. I played a lot of baseball and have constantly had problems to this day with my rotator cuff(s) and these two tools have really helped out. Just be prepared to whimper a little the first few times :)

I have a foam roller and am prepared to use it lol.

Bruteman
02-03-2009, 08:20 PM
The late J. V. Askem had a good routine for athletes you might want to look at. It may suit your needs. You can find it here: http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/QUALITY3.htm

Kiknskreem
02-03-2009, 09:49 PM
OH Press and Bench Presses will decrease yoru shoulder girdle flexibility.

I really don't think that a basic strength program with OH and Bench once a week is going to inherently decrease shoulder flexibility. Especially for someone who knows to pay attention to flexibility and mobility.

Ben Moore
02-03-2009, 09:53 PM
I really don't think that a basic strength program with OH and Bench once a week is going to inherently decrease shoulder flexibility. Especially for someone who knows to pay attention to flexibility and mobility.

That's assuming they know enough to keep track of flexibility and mobility. You are talking about athletes here...

Southern Beast
02-03-2009, 11:36 PM
In my experience as a former baseball player, I'd absolutely forget about powerlifting right now. Don't stress, because those maxes will come back when you get back to it.

What worked for me may not work for everyone, but I'll throw it out there (I played CF). First, try to get on a good stretching routine to really limber yourself up. We did a lot of band work and stretches, and I can't tell you how much that really helped my throwing distance. I got adjustable weights for my bat to help with speed, and would swing it almost every night. I got a wooden bat to hit with at the cages, and if you can hit with a wooden bat, you damn sure can slug with aluminum.

I don't recall what we did exactly for weightlifting, but I'll see if I can find my old program. I enjoyed it, and I remember we kept squatting and deadlifts, although not heavy at all. The remainder seemed to really dial in on shoulders, back, tris, and your core using dumbbells and medicine balls. Most of all, I'd go the extra mile in your spare time to practice your fundamentals and drills that'll help you at your position.

Southern Beast
02-03-2009, 11:37 PM
How could I forget, we did lots of lunges.

I get too excited talking about baseball season. I don't even watch it much at all on TV, but I love playing and going to games.