PDA

View Full Version : Reason number 342 that I would rather powerlift than bodybuild

geoffsherman
02-04-2009, 05:06 PM
So that I don't get caught up in doing stupid exercises like these: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/exercises_youve_never_tried_vol_19

Travis Bell
02-04-2009, 05:11 PM
That doesn't look too bad to me. I've used variations of that in the past. Big necks are pretty cool and traps certainly add to it.

Now if you start squatting on a bosa ball, arm curls on a bosa ball, leap frogs over a bosa ball, anything on a bosa ball, you might want to rethink things

geoffsherman
02-04-2009, 05:24 PM
That doesn't look too bad to me. I've used variations of that in the past. Big necks are pretty cool and traps certainly add to it.

Now if you start squatting on a bosa ball, arm curls on a bosa ball, leap frogs over a bosa ball, anything on a bosa ball, you might want to rethink things

I was more referring to the first exercise where the guy was hanging off some boxes doing a back extension into a barbell row.

The one exercise which I had hoped to see was something I call the Sherman clean. I stand on a BOSU ball and do a power clean into a log press. It is really the secret to all of the great South Central European powerlifters. I learned it from some Grecian Monks.

TKisner
02-04-2009, 06:05 PM
The exercise he was referring was a staple of what sounds like an incredible Olympic athlete. Why are you referring to as a bodybuilding exercise. Seems likes a good movement for someone who needs training economy.

smokinHawk
02-05-2009, 06:11 AM
they all look pretty dumb to me,

There is this guy at my gym who thinks he gets points by using some machine for some use never conceived before like shrugs off a hammer strength bench machine, situps on the smith machine or wrist curls off a leg press machine.

geoffsherman
02-05-2009, 06:44 AM
I have you one better. My gym amazingly has a platform and rubberized bumper plates. RIght next to the platform is one of those Hammer Strength shrug contraptions. People will prop up the handles on the shrug machine using the rubber bumper plates so that they don't have to bend down as far.

-JM-
02-05-2009, 08:04 AM
So that I don't get caught up in doing stupid exercises like these

I dunno, I think that 'Gunthar Row' looks like a pretty bad ass movement!

Brian C
02-07-2009, 05:15 PM

HaHaHa! God I hate those things.

RonnyB
02-10-2009, 07:53 AM
That row looks pretty wicked hardcore, the shrug looks ridiculously feminine

Guido
02-10-2009, 08:11 AM
I would never doubt something that worked well for one of the most elite olympic lifters, especially one named Gunthar. I can see how that movement could be effective.

Polynikes
02-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Gunthar was a shot putter, not an Olympic lifter. Geoffsherman, when you achieve a shot put of 22.75 meters, broad jump (or standing long jump, whatever you want to call it) 3.60 meters (11.8 feet) weighting 127 kg, box jump god knows how much, bench 230 kg for reps, etc, then you have a right to doubt his training. Until then, go and train instead of talking **** about other people (who are way above you) methods.

Brad08
02-10-2009, 09:40 AM
http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/2009/09-020-training/image014.png

Guido
02-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Gunthar was a shot putter, not an Olympic lifter. Geoffsherman, when you achieve a shot put of 22.75 meters, broad jump (or standing long jump, whatever you want to call it) 3.60 meters (11.8 feet) weighting 127 kg, box jump god knows how much, bench 230 kg for reps, etc, then you have a right to doubt his training. Until then, go and train instead of talking **** about other people (who are way above you) methods.You're right, he was more known for his shot putting but certainly had some prowess at the olympic lifts as well. Especially if you've ever looked at one of his published training programs.

Polynikes
02-10-2009, 12:32 PM
That's right. All throwers (discus, hammer, shot and javelin) have really high numbers in Olympic lifts, which are the big part of their training. Koji Murofushi's (hammer thrower) POWER clean PR is 195 KG. That's amazing.