PDA

View Full Version : To what degree is a lift acceptable in training?

BFGUITAR
02-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Today I did a somewhat easy 365x2 with belt+wraps.

The first rep was flawless, felt great. The second... I dropped down a tad bit below depth and than shot up. I started leaning forward just a little bit but than got back into proper position as I came up. It wasn't exactly a good morning, but there was some good morning aspect to it. Should I consider it 365x2 or only 365x1 because the second rep wasnt perfect? I know the question is irrelevant but I just want to know what your criteria is for a good lift in training.

Reko
02-04-2009, 07:18 PM
365x2 for that. I dont generally go by meet standards for the most part. If it was something like, I got it, but i made a mental boner and missed somethign I should have gotten, then I may or may not count it depending on the degree of the help.

I did 3 boards in a shirt today and completely misgrooved the first rep but i still counted it as three. It went most of the way up, then i reset and shoved it back up. And then pouneded out the next two like it was nothing, so it wasn't a strength thing just a mental thing. Plus i have done that before. If it was a pr, and i did that, then no i wouldn't count it.

or if I squat and take a step forward at the top or something, ill still count it. Just dont do it again or you have to stop counting it then.

Detard
02-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Dude did you really need to make a thread for this? If you lifted it, you lifted it. If you missed it, its a miss. Sure we all try to keep good form, but cmon man seriously.

As long as you moved the weight from point A to point B, its a good lift in training. A meet is a completely different story though.

Reko
02-04-2009, 07:27 PM
btw, pr attempts are rarely perfect. i dont know if that was but a set of two that is tough sounds like it.

BFGUITAR
02-04-2009, 07:30 PM
I was just curious about what other people thought. To what degree can a rep not count in training? In competition it's easy, the judge determines it. But judging a lift subjectively in training is different I would think. If moving the weight from A-B looked horrendous obviously the weight is too heavy.

Wasn't a PR, I hit it before but it looked ugly. This time it looked better. But it is the most weight I have handled on my back.

Reko
02-04-2009, 07:33 PM
If moving the weight from A-B looked horrendous obviously the weight is too heavy.

Id still count it

BFGUITAR
02-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Really? Guess I have to change my thinking haha.

Travis Bell
02-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Dude did you really need to make a thread for this? If you lifted it, you lifted it. If you missed it, its a miss. Sure we all try to keep good form, but cmon man seriously.

As long as you moved the weight from point A to point B, its a good lift in training. A meet is a completely different story though.

Agreed. If the weight goes down and comes back up it counts. its your own training, you set your own standards. pretty simple. I've seen guys who counted half reps, incomplete reps whatever, it doesn't matter. It's your own training. It doesn't really matter what standards you set in your own training. The big question is will it prepare you for meet day?

Reko
02-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Really? Guess I have to change my thinking haha.
Pretty much this:

It doesn't really matter what standards you set in your own training. The big question is will it prepare you for meet day?

if it wouldn't pass in a meet (aka double clutch, high, etc) I'd count it, but make a note so that next time you hit it, you can compare and then declare a new PR if need be.

jbrin0tk
02-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Steve Goggins wasn't a pretty squatter, but squatted over 1100 lbs., I believe. Again, his squats weren't pretty but counted in meets. Like the others have said, if it goes down to legal depth and comes back up, I say good lift.

BFGUITAR
02-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Do half ass reps prepare one for meet day? I have no clue but your right it doesn't matter what I think.

Cool, I will keep this in mind.

Brad08
02-04-2009, 07:47 PM
stupidest thread ever, buuuuuut sometimes if my last rep is just dog**** ugly and cheated as hell, I wont count the last rep

Reko
02-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Do half ass reps prepare one for meet day? I have no clue but your right it doesn't matter what I think.

Cool, I will keep this in mind.

half ass and sloppy form arent necessarily the same. depends on the weight with respect to the strength of the lifter.

BFGUITAR
02-04-2009, 08:03 PM
stupidest thread ever, buuuuuut sometimes if my last rep is just dog**** ugly and cheated as hell, I wont count the last rep

That's all I really wanted to know...

Pete22
02-04-2009, 08:42 PM
I'd count it, the only way I wouldn't is if I got stapled or clearly cut it high.

PWR
02-04-2009, 08:57 PM
When I was training for my last meet, (which was years ago) I did do a few half reps. My goal was to squat 600 in the meet which I did. But a few weeks out I would load maybe 640 on the bar and go down half way to get use to a heavier weight than I have ever had on my back. And I would go well below parralel with 450 to help out of the hole. It's all just what works for you.