PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in it, my progress and advice needed.

PWR
02-05-2009, 07:02 PM
I played around with powerlifting alittle back in 2001. I wasnt ever great but I did win a meet and had alot of fun. I have always done a cross between bodybuilding and powerlifting. I wanted good shape to me but also wanted to be strong. Back in 2001 I was 270lbs and had 19.5in arms, 30in legs, and wore a 36-38 pants. 15% bf (I'm 5'11) I had severe tendonitis in both elbows and bench was always my weak point. Best lifts back then were 600 squat, 600 deadlift, and 365 bench (raw) and I weighed 250lbs at that time. Well after another year or two I decided to give it a break and I layed out of the gym for close to 6 years:mad:. I would go once ever couple months and hit chest with my friends but never stayed consistent. Finally about 7-8 months ago I decided I'm getting old and lazy and wanted to get back in it. I was 235lbs and still had decent shape to me but not what I wanted. Here I am now back up to 265lbs and feeling almost as strong as I was when I got out of it. Pic in avatar is last week.
After the big lay off my elbows feel pretty good, but I think I may have gained too much strength back too fast. My shoulders are toast and they never bothered me before. First week back in the gym I could still bench 275 for a couple reps and deadlifted 405 and squatted 365 fairly easily. To pull 405 off the floor for the first time to even touch a deadlift in 5 years shocked me.
Now 7 months later on the bench I can rep 365 for a triple raw. (dont know max yet, still scared about my elbows and shoulders)
Hit 500x5 on the Deadlifts last week. (Belt only)
And can hit 455 for a few reps on squats. (belt only) I think I pulled a quad muscle, hurts like a sob.
I am very happy with these results from only 7-8 months of training.

I train each body part once a week or every 6 days.
I have never used boards, bands or any of that other powerlifting stuff and was curious about different techniques. A goal right now is to bench 405 raw for reps or hell atleast once.
I would really like to have atleast a 1600lb total if I even want to get in a small local meet.
What specific routines should I look into. I keep hearing the 5x5, westside, coan, etc etc. I have always done my own thing and know my body very well but I do want to reach new PR's and am willing to give something different a try. Really curious to see what can of bench I can get with a good shirt.
Any advice

EatMyWay2TheTop
02-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Take it for what its worth since Im only training for my first meet; I use a training routine inspired from the one described in Coan's book and Im making really good progress right now. You should look into it. Good lucj with your training.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
02-06-2009, 09:34 AM
I suggest you take care of your tendonitis in your elbow and shoulders because it will slow down your progress. Also, avoid using a shirt for awhile.

Joint/shoulder health
1. Joint supplement
2. Ice your elbow and shoulder after each workout
3. Anti-inflammatory ointment before and after workout
4. Shoulder rehab exerecises

PWR
02-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Today was chest day and my bench routine looked like this.

135x12
225x12
275x6
315x4
365x3
315x10 (new PR for me rep wise)

I want 405 badly, someone suggested I do 3 sets of 295x10 for a couple months and he thought 405 would be there for me.
I hate to do work sets with less than 3 plates.
Anyone have any input?

bencher8
02-06-2009, 07:14 PM
IMO..I wouldnt get into the bands and chains and such. They will beat up your shoulders and elbows, unless you are very smart about it. A light single ply shirt might help with shoulder pain as well.

Using brds would help with getting to 405 pretty quick, just wave them in and out in 2 week waves and make sure you do accessorry work that trains you where the brds didnt. For example if you were to train with a 2 brd for a week, your accessory work might be reps with a lighter weight or DB work to train the part of the press that didnt get work with the 2 brds. Hnadling the heavier loads that you can handle with brds will get you stronger.

Hazerboy
02-06-2009, 07:28 PM
aight man I'll try and give you some advice.

I'd say you're advanced enough to give westside a try. I'll post some articles here, but keep in mind through all the complicated crap that westside's biggest strength is how simple the idea is-- one day for speed, one for going heavy, for the bench and lower body.
This is a pretty basic template to get you started: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=46

Here's vincent's raw bench cycle that you might find interesting too: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/600lb_raw_bench.htm

Matt rhodes, who happens to train with vincent at southside, has a Similar Raw squat training routine that I really like that you might try too. It doesn't' have speed days except every few weeks and instead of cycling excercises cycles rep ranges: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/raw_squatting.htm

go on ahead and read through as many of the pro journal's as you can too (e.g. King kong, travis bell and ben moore are a few that i look at. just search around a bit). Read everthing on Elite FTS. Notice how all of these guys tayler the routine for them - not many people will follow what whatever article you read says to the key, they're just guidelines.

You don't need chains, bands, and all sorts of other complicated equipment to progress either but they sure help. The one thing I will say thats beneficial to go out and buy would be boards. They're incredibly easy to build and use and VERY helpful for the bench - the only drawback is you need a few good spotters.

as for your shoulders for bench, post a video of you benching and it'll be easier for us to look at your form. Your form could be great or it could be just awful. If its awful, and you fix it, not only will it add pounds to your bench but it will save your shoulders too. Might take a look at this article too: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/shoulder_savers_part_i

Keep in mind as your reading too that there's no *holy grail* of training. Westside may not be the "best" routine out there, but a lot of people really like it, and as a smart man once told me, "you could certainly do a lot worse."

So, whatever you decide to try, stick with for at least 12 weeks too. Its real easy to switch from one routine to the next after reading a few persuasive articles.

Ryano
02-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Really curious to see what can of bench I can get with a good shirt.
Any advice

If you are having shoulder problems from benching, a shirt will definately help. A shirt is just like any other piece of equipment. The more you use it, the better you will be with it. Find someone in your area who is experienced in shirt benching and learn. Technique is just, if not more important as raw strength. Some of your shoulder elbow problems are probably from bad benching form. There is no magic routine to get stronger. Just SFW and enjoy the PR's.

PWR
02-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Good deadlift day for me.
routine went
eleptical and stretch for 5 minutes warm up
135x10
225x6
225x6
315x6
405x6
405x12

I was gonna go with 500x6 but decided to stay at 405 and rep out. Felt great and I'm glad I done it. Back should be pretty tight tommorrow.