PDA

View Full Version : Eating to get stronger

Live
02-05-2009, 07:25 PM
This came up in a conversation between me and my friend and im having trouble figuring out an answer.

If you are training for pure strength, you would be primarily training your CNS to become more efficient. But then why is it beneficial to be in a caloric surplus? I was under the impression it helps with recovery in general.

Basically, if you training your CNS then why is it beneficial as a strength athlete to eat excess calories if muscle growth isn't your goal?

Is it purely for the added mass for leverage?

I feel like there is a simple answer here but i can't quite find it myself

BigTallOx
02-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Because training your CNS only part of it. Building muscle is still important for pure strength.

vdizenzo
02-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Me lift heavy things. Me eat a lot cuz me get hungry. Mass moves mass!

Brian Hopper
02-05-2009, 09:28 PM

AMEN!!!!!!!

Lones Green
02-05-2009, 09:32 PM

This is about as complicated as things really are. No need to over think stuff.

chris mason
02-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Really simplified, well not as much as Vincent's rendition...

Your CNS needs micronutrients to function. Now, you don't need to be in a caloric surplus to optimize neural adaptation per se, you just need to make sure you are not deficient in things like sodium, potassium, calcium and others.

Leverage aside, the two trainable aspects of brute strength are the CNS and the contractile myofibrils, i.e. you muscles. That which makes your muscle produce force, the myofibrils, will grow most effectively in a caloric surplus. It is that simple. So, to optimize brute strength is pays to be in a caloric surplus.

Live
02-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Really simplified, well not as much as Vincent's rendition...

Your CNS needs micronutrients to function. Now, you don't need to be in a caloric surplus to optimize neural adaptation per se, you just need to make sure you are not deficient in things like sodium, potassium, calcium and others.

Leverage aside, the two trainable aspects of brute strength are the CNS and the contractile myofibrils, i.e. you muscles. That which makes your muscle produce force, the myofibrils, will grow most effectively in a caloric surplus. It is that simple. So, to optimize brute strength is pays to be in a caloric surplus.

Simple Indeed haha, I now understand :D

RonnyB
02-11-2009, 07:51 AM

hahahah