PDA

View Full Version : petechia

mike95763
02-06-2009, 10:37 AM
I know this is probably pretty common, but it freaks out my wife so I thought I would ask and see. The last few weeks when I have been lifting very heavy (for me anyways) I have been getting petechia all over my face, particularly around my eyes and forehead. The first time it happened was my very first time in a bench shirt (I was kind of just messing around on a deload day), but since then it has happened on two ME squat days in a row. I am not really concerned as I have heard of this happening, but I thought I would ask. Thanks.

rbtrout
02-06-2009, 11:02 AM
I've never experienced that. After reading about it a bit, it should go away in a couple of days. According to wikipedia, it could be a low platelet count (thrombocytopenia - sp?) or vasculitis. You might want to hit the doc, just in case.

Ben Moore
02-06-2009, 11:09 AM
It's normal - especially if you are taking aspirin or any stimulants that increase blood pressure.

mike95763
02-06-2009, 11:56 AM
No asprin or stimulants. I don't know what happened when I was waring the shirt, I was too pumped up to notice much of anything, but last night I was doing some heavy squats and on my second rep on 505 I broke form and ended up GMing the weight up. The lift took about 15-20 seconds and from the way my head felt afterwards I was pretty sure I was going to have red spots all over my face (which I did). Anyways thanks for the responses. I am a little new to the world of lifting heavy so I just wanted to make sure it was relatively normal

chris taylor
02-07-2009, 04:57 PM
I know this happens alot if you dont know how to force yur air into your belly, alot of inexperienced lifters hold alot fo thier air in their face and throats which ofcourse causes an increase in arterial pressure in their face and neck. Make sure you get your air after you unrack a weight and then push it into your belly, as in making your belly protrude outward. Also if you get stuck under a bar and are in a GM position you are more likely to have the increased pressure in your face as well so dont loose your arch...

CT