PDA

View Full Version : Periodic Cutting?

Whuditdew
02-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Would it work if I bulked up for four weeks and then cut for one week? I don't like the idea of becoming huge and spending a ton of time working it off.

king8329
02-06-2009, 09:14 PM
There is actually a "diet" based similar to your theory. I used it as a teenager for a brief stint with some success. I havent been a teen for almost ten years now so bear with me if I dont remember the intricacies of it verbatim.
The "diet" works off of our bodies natural instinct for survival and worked something like this:
for two weeks you overfeed your body, next two weeks you cut cals. to below maintenance level. Repeat.
The theory is that with constant consumption of mass calories your body will begin to store more and more as fat over a period of time. Specifically after two weeks your body realizes that it will have cals. needed for proper operation and therefore store the rest as fat. You then go into a caloric deficit over the next two weeks, in essence "tricking" your body into thinking it will not be receiving the cals. needed. Repeat cycle. "dieting" in this fashion is suppose to allow your body to add more lean mass and very little fat.
There of course is a lot more detail involved and I honestly cant remember it all years later. Important thing is yes, in theory, there is a diet resembling your idea based on the bodies natural instincts. Now that you know this much you can research it further via the internet and I am quite sure you will be able to find somewhere the exact science of this. Hope this is helpful.

Dallas7676
02-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Would it work if I bulked up for four weeks and then cut for one week? I don't like the idea of becoming huge and spending a ton of time working it off.

I could see it working. Sometimes its easier to just get into a grove though. Bulking for larger periods and then cutting for large periods. Why don't you try it and let us know. Different things work for different people.

BigMs
02-08-2009, 06:12 PM
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/build_and_burn

I don't follow it to the t, but I also don't eat with reckless abandon for 4 months.