PDA

View Full Version : Band box squats

slashkills
02-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Im a little confused again. I tried box squats last night with bands. im following the westside program and the book says work up to six sets of two with 40-60% of your one rep max for squats. I did this last night and it was very easy. I did them as fast as i could while keeping the bar under control.The bands where purple bands by jump stretch. So my question is how do you guys feel after doing box squats with bands?

Sidior
02-06-2009, 03:31 PM
You are performing DE work, they should be fast! That being said I usually am sweating up a storm and sometimes I'm more worn out then ME work.

slashkills
02-06-2009, 03:39 PM
I know that.they where fast but not difficult. should they be some what difficult?

Sidior
02-06-2009, 03:42 PM
I know that.they where fast but not difficult. should they be some what difficult?

Go as heavy as you can while keeping it fast. If that means bumping the weight up next week go for it. Speed is the key in DE work.

slashkills
02-06-2009, 03:42 PM
k thanks.

HP666
02-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Go as heavy as you can while keeping it fast. If that means bumping the weight up next week go for it. Speed is the key in DE work.

What he said is correct. Is this the first time you used the bands? It may seem easier but you'll find in time that the bands beat the hell out of you.

slashkills
02-06-2009, 06:53 PM
yea this is my first time with bands. It just seemed odd because the westside book said only go up to 60% of your 1rm. Im thinking my bands are just lighter than i thought they would be for me. ill use them for a while and experiment, if its still to easy ill order bigger bands.

Hazerboy
02-06-2009, 07:35 PM
whats your best squat and what weight are you using? I'm assuming these are the bands your using: http://www.jumpstretch.com/osc/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=30&osCsid=bc32f57381a5135ecbdcee21e30ecc1e ?

The weight really doesn't matter that much man, the percentages are just guidelines. What matters is how fast you're moving the bar. Post a vid and we'll better be able to assess you.

SELK
02-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Also alot of it depends on what kind of gear you use when doing speed work. If I am wearing my thicker (metal) briefs then I am going to have to use a higher % in comparison to raw/single ply briefs.

My last speed session was just blue bands, single ply briefs, no box, and just under 400lbs of bar weight. Thats above 50% 1rm if you count the band tension I imagine.

I guess my point is, experiment and find what works. Ive used boxes and varrying band tension and for me its, regular squats (no box), with only blue bands for 6-9 sets.

slashkills
02-07-2009, 09:27 AM
whats your best squat and what weight are you using? I'm assuming these are the bands your using: http://www.jumpstretch.com/osc/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=30&osCsid=bc32f57381a5135ecbdcee21e30ecc1e ?

The weight really doesn't matter that much man, the percentages are just guidelines. What matters is how fast you're moving the bar. Post a vid and we'll better be able to assess you.

yup those are the ones. I have a ton of form check vids i want to post but i seem to have misplaced my usb cord. Im going to radio shack tonight to get a new one so there may be some vids tomorrow