PDA

View Full Version : Calories and Protein

Whuditdew
02-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Are calories and protein the only components to making muscle? Could I eat 3000 calories in bread and drink a couple of protein shakes and be fine? (Obviously hypothetical)

AJL11
02-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Ohhhh

My

Gawd

VikingWarlord
02-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Did this post really happen?

Someone needs to do some reading.

Whuditdew
02-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Or you could just be pricks and not contribute to the topic at all...

VikingWarlord
02-06-2009, 06:26 PM
The question is ludicrous. It doesn't even deserve contribution beyond ridicule.

Southern Beast
02-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Are calories and protein the only components to making muscle? Could I eat 3000 calories in bread and drink a couple of protein shakes and be fine? (Obviously hypothetical)

:fart:

T FLEX
02-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Come on guys. The first question is very valid so don't let the second part mud that up. As far as the second question goes it's clear he doesn't plan on doing that, hence the (obviously hypothetical) part. If you take 2 seconds to read through the ridiculousness of it you can see that there is an actual question there worth discussing. Perhaps something like this:

"As long as I am getting enough calories and protein everyday, does it matter where they come from?"

I think it is a very good question and one worth considering even if just to satisfy curious minds. Sometimes questions need to be presented in such a way to make people understand what it is we are asking, ridiculous or not.

So can any of you give the man an answer? I'm curious myself. ;)

king8329
02-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Come on guys. The first question is very valid so don't let the second part mud that up. As far as the second question goes it's clear he doesn't plan on doing that, hence the (obviously hypothetical) part. If you take 2 seconds to read through the ridiculousness of it you can see that there is an actual question there worth discussing. Perhaps something like this:

"As long as I am getting enough calories and protein everyday, does it matter where they come from?"

I think it is a very good question and one worth considering even if just to satisfy curious minds. Sometimes questions need to be presented in such a way to make people understand what it is we are asking, ridiculous or not.

So can any of you give the man an answer? I'm curious myself. ;)

Yes it does matter. Your body needs all three types of calories. heres a brief breakdown why.
Protein Functions: Proteins that we eat are digested into amino acids and these are joined along side other amino acids produced by the body to constitute the amino acid pool. Tissues take the amino acids from the pool to synthesise specific proteins the body needs for muscle, hair, nails, hormones, enzymes etc. Proteins maintain fluid balance and buffer both acid and alkaline environments to maintain blood pH, transporter of vitamins and minerals, oxygen. Provide a source of carbon for energy yielding reactions by amino acid conversion to glucose and metabolised to provide ATP, while others can be stored as fat.

Carbohydrate Functions: To provide energy and muscular fuel for body strength and building muscle. Carbohydrates are converted to stored energy as liver and muscle glycogen, sugars and starch acts as the perfect fuel to enable you to carry out your physical activities efficiently and effectively. Fiber is important in keeping bowel function going smooth. Carbohydrates aid in regulating blood glucose.

Fat Functions: Essential fats (EFAs) are necessary fats that us as humans cannot synthesize and must be obtained though our diet. EFAs are long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids derived from linolenic, linoleic, and oleic acids. EFAs support the cardiovascular, reproductive, immune, and nervous systems.

The human body needs EFAs to manufacture and repair cell membranes, enabling the cells to obtain optimum nutrition and expel harmful waste products. An important function of EFAs is the production of prostaglandins, which regulate body functions such as heart rate, blood pressure, blood clotting, fertility, conception and play a large role of immune function by regulating inflammation and encouraging the body to fight infection.

Hopefully this answers our question.

T FLEX
02-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Well that answers the first question.

Now with that general explanation as to the necessary components for building muscle how about an answer to the second question:

Could a person gain muscle mass drinking protein shakes and eating a couple loaves of bread a day with a good workout routine?

Bread has all three components (carbs, protein, fat) and so does a protein shake given it is made up of whey and milk. It would be a ridiculous diet but with all the components there it would seem feasible. Now it's just a matter of satisfying my curiosity. :D

Whuditdew
02-08-2009, 01:44 PM
bump

manowar669
02-09-2009, 06:27 AM
You need essential fatty acids (EFAs).
Of the three macros, carbohydrates are the only one you can live entirely without.

Big Jay
02-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Could a person gain muscle mass drinking protein shakes and eating a couple loaves of bread a day with a good workout routine?
I gained 50lbs in 4 months on a diet consisting mainly of milk, bread, and chocolate (for extra cals)... my workout was crap aswell.
Then again i was 6 foot 1 and 127 lbs
my strength shot up so im guessin i gained a good amount of muscle.... but my gut also grew alot lol
Aslong as your getting in excess cals, a high amount of protein and doing some sort of heavy lifting, i guess you can gain weight/muscle..... but there are healthier ways that'll give u a better fat:muscle ratio