PDA

View Full Version : weight lifting shoes

NordicMan
02-07-2009, 12:37 PM
I am interested in a pair of weightlifting shoes. I am doing more squatting than any Olympic type lifts. So far I have used my Birkenstocks, which have fine support, but they do not hold my feet securely enough. I also use a sturdy pair of work boots, like the pictures from Strength and Health used to have. They are made in America, which is what I like to have.

I hear there is a Safe USA, as well as companies like Inzer. Rippetoe and Kilgore seem to think that the last, Inzer, was not so much for squatting.

Where does one go to buy these? There are no stores nearby here that have them.

Kiknskreem
02-07-2009, 12:51 PM
VS Athletics has a reasonably priced shoe with a moderate heel height.

You won't find weightlifting shoes in any store.

NordicMan
02-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll look that up. I was just looking at Safe USA's site. their shoes are more expensive, but they are made here, which I like to see.

Thanks for your note.

Auburn
02-07-2009, 01:22 PM
I have the Do-Win Rogues. Very nice for squatting as their heel is a tad higher than most.

RHarris
02-07-2009, 04:23 PM
I've also had a great experience with the Universal Boot from Lifter's Athletic Wear and their customer service can't be beat.
It offers some unique support features and is great for the squat and very comfortable. I often also use mine for benching and the sole is thin and flat enough that I have even used them for DL with success, though not my first choice for DL. Great all around PL shoe, though.

www.liftersathleticwear.com

Robert Harris
Las Vegas, NV

NordicMan
02-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the several ideas, lifters. I will take a good look at each of them.

That L.A.W universal boot looks quite interesting, after my eyes got done being blinded by the glare of that colour. I have ankles that do twist more easily than many, although it has not bothered me too much lifting, I have to articulate them and exercise them to keep them healthy and in place.

Thanks.

rbtrout
02-08-2009, 12:27 PM
I use Inzer's squat shoes and love them.

Live
02-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Personally I use the olympic shoes from adidas, they were somewhat pricey but I love them. But I also squat as deep as possible which the shoes are designed for, i can't comment on other lifting shoes however, but the adistar's are great quality

Jeff Roark
02-08-2009, 01:41 PM
I recently got the black Do-Win Rouges. Awesome shoe. I have a pair of VS athletics but for some reason(I suspect the heel is way to high)tend to cripple me with calf pain. No problems with the Rogues.

ZenMonkey
02-08-2009, 01:55 PM
http://www.gwenweightlifting.blogspot.com/

^ Highest quality lifting shoes ive seen. They have a 1.5" heel and run med-narrow.

Dowins are wide w/ 1.5'' heel fyi

TankOfTeamStone
02-08-2009, 02:54 PM
I use Converse Chuck Taylors for squatting and deadlifting. There really really comfortable.

Tom Mutaffis
02-09-2009, 10:34 AM
VS shoes have a 1.5" heel which is pretty high for some people. They are the most reasonably priced but a lot of sizes are sold out right now.

Adidas are probably the best quality olympic shoes but are extrordinarily expensive and not practical for a lot of people - minimum $150/pair.

The best option in my opinion would be a pair of do-win shoes. They are sturdy and have a similar heel to that of the adidas shoes (the Rogue model does at least). I have a pair of these and they provide great stability and support for squatting. Here is where you can buy them www.muscledriverusa.com

Chuck Taylors are good for powerlifting squatting if you are using a wide stance and parallel depth. If you are doing olympic squats and full range of motion then the oly shoes would be better because of the heel.

Brian C
02-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Good ole Chuck T's for me. Always felt good in them for DL'ing, both conventional and sumo

Dingus
02-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Sambas are money.

RonnyB
02-11-2009, 07:33 AM
ahhh, just use some chucks

mastermonster
02-13-2009, 10:23 PM
If you have any width to your stance at all Chucks are impossible to beat and dirt cheap. Also work well for your DL and Bench if your fed lets you bench on the balls of your feet. If I have to bench flat footed I need a heel. I have fairly short legs for a heavyweight.