PDA

View Full Version : I Wanna Lose Weight

Siked
02-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Well I have decided being 16 years old and weighing 240 pounds is not where I want to be at. :whiner: So I have decided to lose some wieght.

My maintenance calories are at about 2700-2800. So I was thinking of cutting my calorie intake to about 2200-2300 while still mainting a protein intake of 1g per pound of body weight and lifting my ass off in the gym. Does this sound like a solid plan? Anything you guys would change? Should I start running?

-Thanks for reading and I would appreciate any help I could recieve.

-----EDIT: Also my friend has made the argument with me that I could eat like 1600-1800 calories a day and keep all of my muscle and possibly gain some if I kept my protein intake at 1g per pound of body weight. Is that total bull or could that actually happen?

Kong
02-08-2009, 05:15 PM
When you start lifing you will probably gain size while losing bodyfat but only to a certain point. I found best way to start is gradually cycle out starchy carbs, sugars and junk foods and try to eat 5-6 times a day aiming for 40g protein, 50g carbs and 10g fat per meal. It works for me and when i stop losing fat i just lower carbs a little. Its only a guideline but try it. Eat unprocessed meat and fish (chicken, turkey, tuna, mackerel, prawns, lean steak etc), wholegrain carbs (brown bread, sweet potatos, brown rice and brown pasta etc) and fibrous veg like brocolli and green beans and seeds and nuts. I sometimes add a little sauce as long as is doesnt have too much sugar and additives and supplement with a good multivitamin and protein powder if nescessary.

VikingWarlord
02-08-2009, 05:31 PM
All your questions can be answered by reading the information that's already here.

Dallas7676
02-08-2009, 07:53 PM
At 240 pounds I think you might be underestimating your maintenance calories. I would think your maintenance is closer to being in the low 3000's.

I would cut your calories to 2500. Just make sure that you track your calories so you do not consume too much.

Siked
02-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Well thanks for the replies everyone. Also as far as underestimating my maintanence calories goes, I have been getting 2700-2800 calories a day for the past two weeks and my weight hasnt budged, lol seriously it has stayed right at 240, so that is why I have decided to go even lower now and I am just asking for advice from people that know better than me.

So once again thanks for the help everyone.

supersets
02-08-2009, 11:04 PM
If thats how you figured out your maintenance thats probably the most reliable way. Judging by that number I would way roughly 2300 is a good place to start, If you don't drop at least a pound drop a few more calories. Its better to start a little high, one because you have more energy for the gym, and two because if you stall out, you can go a little lower without consuming the calories of a grade 7 girl

DjArcadian
02-09-2009, 09:53 AM
What is your current bodyfat %? Invest in one of those electronic scales that read your BF% if you haven't already. Well worth the money and they last forever.

Progress
02-09-2009, 10:03 AM
What is your current bodyfat %? Invest in one of those electronic scales that read your BF% if you haven't already. Well worth the money and they last forever.

What body fat scales can be owned personally and are accurate?

xcornontherobx
02-09-2009, 10:38 AM

Lie.

VikingWarlord
02-09-2009, 11:18 AM
At 240 pounds I think you might be underestimating your maintenance calories. I would think your maintenance is closer to being in the low 3000's.

I would cut your calories to 2500. Just make sure that you track your calories so you do not consume too much.

Don't assume things like that. Formulas suggest my maintenance should be around 3800 but measurement shows it's around 2700. You can never get a reliable estimate of maintenance based on size.

DjArcadian
02-09-2009, 04:57 PM
What body fat scales can be owned personally and are accurate?

I wouldn't say any are "accurate" but they're at least good enough to show progress. For the $50 or so I spent on my scale years ago I think it's been a good return on my investment.

Progress
02-09-2009, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't say any are "accurate" but they're at least good enough to show progress. For the $50 or so I spent on my scale years ago I think it's been a good return on my investment.

Do you have calipers? I don't know how a scale can possibly gauge BF% unless of course you mean BMI which is not BF% and essentially irrelevant in the world of bodybuilding.