PDA

View Full Version : When to include good mornings in Starting Strength

teeroy
02-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I want to start to incorporate good mornings into my SS routine, but I only have SS 1st Edition which doesn't cover the assistance exercises. On what day(s) should I do good mornings?

Hazerboy
02-09-2009, 02:01 PM
what are your current stats (best bench, deadlift, squat)?

teeroy
02-09-2009, 05:08 PM
I don't know my 1RM maxes because I work out alone in my garage so I don't max. My numbers are low. I'm only about 3 months into barbell work and I'd say only lifting correctly (or at least with better form - probably not totally correct yet but getting better) after getting SS for xmas and working on my form after that.

Bench my 5x5 is currently at 180lb

DL I did a 1x5 today at 285 and it felt easy so I'll bump up 10lb next week. 2 months ago I could barely do a 1x5 at 240 so I feel good about my progress here.

Squats I recently picked a low weight at 160 and just focused on form for a month and am now moving up each week since I feel a lot better about my form. Today I did 5x5 at 175 and it felt easy so I'll bump it up 10lb next session. So I'm still finding my max 5x5 on squats after reading SS and working on my form.

Dingus
02-09-2009, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't change a thing because your improving at a good rate. Its boring but the starting strength program doesn't really use much in terms of assistance.

KarstenDD
02-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Never. If you add them to a Starting Strength program then it is no longer a Starting Strength program. But you don't need to worry about that because you shouldn't run around changing what you're doing.

dbcb314
02-09-2009, 06:36 PM
If you are such a beginner you are doing starting strength, then there is no reason to use "special" exercises such as goodmornings.

teeroy
02-09-2009, 09:47 PM
OK, I guess I won't include them for now. I was just thinking that I'd like to since I've read in a bunch of places that they are good for increasing your squat.

Reko
02-09-2009, 10:22 PM
OK, I guess I won't include them for now. I was just thinking that I'd like to since I've read in a bunch of places that they are good for increasing your squat.

anything will increase your squat at this point. When you have a lot more experience under your belt you can start swapping out and experimenting when you have a better idea of how your body will respond to different exercises.

Cmanuel
02-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Yeah, what the above poster said is all too true. Reap the benefits of the so called newbie gains for as long as you can. Check out the starting strength wiki or better yet but rip's other book, practical programming if you wanna learn more about the science behind these gains.