PDA

View Full Version : How much water loss before a competition

mike95763
02-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Just curious how much water weight people out there usually try to get rid of before a competition. In other words what is the difference between your normal training weight and the weight class you compete in.

Lones Green
02-09-2009, 02:44 PM
It depends. Typically, the heavier guys will be able to cut more water without suffering from loss of strength.

Some guys cut 25 lbs, others go into a weight class without even filling the weight class out.

Chris Rodgers
02-09-2009, 02:48 PM
It depends. Typically, the heavier guys will be able to cut more water without suffering from loss of strength.

Some guys cut 25 lbs, others go into a weight class without even filling the weight class out.

:withstupi:

What do you weigh now and what do you want to compete at? Is this your first comp?

Lones Green
02-09-2009, 02:52 PM

Don't take this to heart though, I cut from 296 to 275 and my strength suffered more than I could have imagined. It works for some, others it doesn't.

I think Jason Coker (may have been someone else...?) weighed in at 181 and was in the 220's the day of the meet.

mikesbench
02-09-2009, 02:57 PM
It seems to be fairly individual as to what each person can handle dropping ad recovering from. For me I feel comfortable dropping around 12 lbs or so. So I go from around 210 down to 198. I know I'm capable of cutting more, but not without it affecting my performance (typically because of difficulty sleeping and having a tougher time regaining a larger amount of weight quickly enough). Basically take what people here say into consideration, but you'll really have to experiment with it yourself to know what works for you.