PDA

View Full Version : Sore Left knee

ZenMonkey
02-09-2009, 04:19 PM
After todays WO (snatch, cnj, squats)my left knee was a bit sore. Mostly I feel it when its fully extended and I flex my quads OR when I squat all the way down on my toes(hindu squat style) and curl my leg all the way back

I have been getting deeper on my squats and began being able to drop under the bar quicker (which is very new to me). Im not sure if this is any thing to get to worried about. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Tom Mutaffis
02-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Patellar tendonitis?

Do you wear knee sleeves for your training? I suggest the Tommy Kono neoprene sleeves, APT convict knee sleeves, or the old style blue rehband knee sleeves. Tru-fit knee sleeves that you can purchase at sports authority are not quite as robust or supportive but they also work fairly well.

Front squatting or doing full cleans / snatches too frequently can cause this problem. Especially without proper warmup or without OLY shoes.

ZenMonkey
02-09-2009, 04:32 PM
****. I sure hope not. I dont wear sleeves, I do wear oly shoes. I just ordered the TKs.

Is this fairly common? Did you have the smae thing?

Dingus
02-09-2009, 04:56 PM
I have patellar tendonitis, it can bea pain in the ass but its not really that big of the deal. Hurt me most often doing single leg exercises like lunges and 1 legged squats. Ice and some type of anti-inflammatory usually does the trick for me. Knee sleeves would help but I don't know if they are necessary.

dbcb314
02-09-2009, 06:38 PM
All those deep knee movements are ****ing with your patella tendon. My right one sucks due to ACL surgery in high school.

ZenMonkey
02-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Guys, that makes me really depressed. Im just getting going on a oly split. I keep hitting these effing bumps in the road. Is this a big deal? Should I worry abtou it this much?

I hope the knee sleeves will help...

Lones Green
02-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Guys, that makes me really depressed. Im just getting going on a oly split. I keep hitting these effing bumps in the road. Is this a big deal? Should I worry abtou it this much?

I hope the knee sleeves will help...

Dude don't sweat it. Patellar tendonitis is fairly common.

dbcb314
02-09-2009, 07:00 PM
common, but painful and annoying as hell

Indifference
02-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Foam roll the hell out of your IT band amd TFL and the whole side of the affected leg down to the knee. There are a lot of big muscles that attach down there and if they get pissed you can feel it in the knees. Cured the pain in both my knees after a few days of rolling for a bit.

ZenMonkey
02-09-2009, 07:54 PM

Thanks, man. That makes me feel somewhat better.

Foam roll the hell out of your IT band amd TFL and the whole side of the affected leg down to the knee. There are a lot of big muscles that attach down there and if they get pissed you can feel it in the knees. Cured the pain in both my knees after a few days of rolling for a bit.

Today was the first heavy squat day in a while. I also really made it more of an OLY squat (hip down muscles only). Do you think that could be partial cause? (i guess you really wouldnt know but I guess Im looking for something to attach some positive thoughts to- not that I want you to BS me)

Off to roll it out

Ben Moore
02-09-2009, 08:49 PM
If you're not getting injured every once in a while doing this stuff, you're not training hard enough.

jbrin0tk
02-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Indifference, just for the sake of clarification, what is the TFL? Hopefully it'll give me something new to foam roll and make feel better if I'm not already hitting it. I appreciate it, man.

Brad08
02-10-2009, 06:04 AM
Guys, that makes me really depressed. Im just getting going on a oly split. I****

Perhaps too much too soon? Your body may be adapting to new stuff.

ZenMonkey
02-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Perhaps too much too soon? Your body may be adapting to new stuff.

Maybe. Ive been slowly getting into it over the past 6 months though. Only on Monday did I really start pushing it. I hit a Snatch PR yesterday also... Im gonna go see an ortho today.:whiner:

ZenMonkey
02-10-2009, 07:54 AM
So I have an appt with the ortho I saw when I effed up my shoulder a while back.. I remember him talking about how squatting below parallel is bad for your knees etc...

Hes one of the best in Dallas

Im afraid hes going to tell me to stop squatting. What should I do/say?

dbcb314
02-10-2009, 08:03 AM
dude is freaking some sort of tendinitis... it isn't like you tore anything.

Going to the ortho, and quitting squatting, is an extreme over reaction.

If you are going to choose to squat so deep (and it wouldn't surprise me if you are dive bombing it) then you are probably going to have to live with some patellar pain, or hope your body gets used to it.

Tom Mutaffis
02-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Zen - it is farily common and I did have some issues a few months ago, but after letting up on some OHP work and front squatting it went away with some rest.

The TK Knee Sleeves will help as well. Wear them inside out, they are much easier to put on and off that way. Still work the same.

Sometimes tight hamstrings can put pressure on the patella so make sure that you are stretching and warming up properly before all of your lifting.

Brad08
02-10-2009, 09:11 AM
So I have an appt with the ortho ... I remember him talking about how squatting below parallel is bad for your knees etc...

Hes one of the best in Dallas

These two statements are inconsistent.

Indifference
02-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Indifference, just for the sake of clarification, what is the TFL? Hopefully it'll give me something new to foam roll and make feel better if I'm not already hitting it. I appreciate it, man.

Tensor fascia latae. Its in the area of the IT band and can get irritated and if you do heavy or high volume squats(olympic more than regular to due the more vertical nature). They can also lock up as me and my lifting partner found out and cause you all sorts of grief from the knees to the hips.

@Zen I wouldnt worry too much man, I know its depressing but it happens to all of us bud. Before you stop squatting try rolling for a few days, ice along the sides and include the knees if you think its originating from there, and take some NSAIDs and use some Voltaren or other topical NSAID if youve got it. You can get over it without stopping squatting bro. And you know the doc is going to say to stop doing it, thats what they are supposed to do, tell you to stop whats causing you pain.

Live
02-10-2009, 11:11 AM
I have the same thing in my left knee Zen, the TK's work wonder during the workout. By the time i get to the gym my knees are already sweating. I get some aching in my knee a few hours after lifting, but little or no pain during my actual lifting sessions. I would say give the knee sleeves a shot before trying anything too drastic

ZenMonkey
02-10-2009, 02:00 PM
dude is freaking some sort of tendinitis... it isn't like you tore anything.

Going to the ortho, and quitting squatting, is an extreme over reaction.

If you are going to choose to squat so deep (and it wouldn't surprise me if you are dive bombing it) then you are probably going to have to live with some patellar pain, or hope your body gets used to it.

I just want to head it off at the pass.

Zen - it is farily common and I did have some issues a few months ago, but after letting up on some OHP work and front squatting it went away with some rest.

The TK Knee Sleeves will help as well. Wear them inside out, they are much easier to put on and off that way. Still work the same.

Sometimes tight hamstrings can put pressure on the patella so make sure that you are stretching and warming up properly before all of your lifting.
Thanks Tom. Inside out huh? Will do.

I alwys warm up and cool down alot, maybe I need to re think exactly what I do fo rthat.

Were the OHPs bothering you when you flexed your quads?

These two statements are inconsistent.

I agree with you man. But the guy is the ortho for the Dallas Stars, Cowboys, and Maveriks. I gotta think that he wouldnt tell them to stop squatting since their jobs entail it(generally) so, Im not sure what to think

Tensor fascia latae. Its in the area of the IT band and can get irritated and if you do heavy or high volume squats(olympic more than regular to due the more vertical nature). They can also lock up as me and my lifting partner found out and cause you all sorts of grief from the knees to the hips.

@Zen I wouldnt worry too much man, I know its depressing but it happens to all of us bud. Before you stop squatting try rolling for a few days, ice along the sides and include the knees if you think its originating from there, and take some NSAIDs and use some Voltaren or other topical NSAID if youve got it. You can get over it without stopping squatting bro. And you know the doc is going to say to stop doing it, thats what they are supposed to do, tell you to stop whats causing you pain.
Well, squatting doesnt hurt. Its just afterward

I have the same thing in my left knee Zen, the TK's work wonder during the workout. By the time i get to the gym my knees are already sweating. I get some aching in my knee a few hours after lifting, but little or no pain during my actual lifting sessions. I would say give the knee sleeves a shot before trying anything too drastic

Thanks man.. Will do.

Dingus
02-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Mine started to hurt again today, figures. Im going to drown my knees in DMSO.

ZenMonkey
02-10-2009, 08:25 PM
I hope that wasnt from my bad mojo. Whats DMSO?

jbrin0tk
02-10-2009, 08:52 PM

Indifference, thanks for the information, man.

ZenMonkey
02-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Doctor says he thinks its either

A. Iritated IT band which can inflame the area
B. Lateral Patella Femoral Compression Syndrome (cant find much info on the net about it)
C. Combonation of both (similar to "runners knee")

Ill be taking NSAIDS (2 asprin 2x a day), foam rolling, stretching. He says dont squat too deep for a week.

Cards
02-11-2009, 05:47 PM
just my 2 cents but wouldn't not squating too deep actually put more pressure on the knee?

ZenMonkey
02-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Thats what I thought. I went all the way down today- but I wrapped my knee

teeroy
02-11-2009, 06:25 PM
I had an issue with my IT band once before I started lifting when I thought I'd like to get into running and started with too much too fast. I foam rolled it like crazy and there are specific stretches you can do for it (just google for stretch IT Band). It took about 3 weeks to go away.