PDA

View Full Version : Tae-bo for cardio?

Cue-Ball
04-08-2002, 11:08 AM
Has anyone ever tried Tae-bo? I've been thinking about using it for a cardio workout instead of doing the mind-numbing elliptical machine (good workout, but boring as hell). This seems like a good cardio workout and it looks like it would be great for increasing flexibility and balance. I was considering taking a kick-boxing class but think this might be a little more fast paced and fun.

The only problem is, if i DO decide to do Tae-bo it'll have to wait a few months until i move into my new apartment. My place right now is just too small. Unless, of course, i can find a class at a gym (my gym doesn't offer it).

Allie
04-08-2002, 12:33 PM
I love all of my TaeBo tapes, I highly recomend them :)

Don't let Billy in spandex scare you away, they really are fun too!

syntekz
04-08-2002, 12:38 PM
I've tried the videos a couple of times. It's a great cardio workout.

ElPietro
04-08-2002, 12:42 PM
Go to a kickboxing class. It's too easy to hit the stop button on a VCR. In class you will be pushed and get 10 times the workout you would on your own.

Tryska
04-08-2002, 12:48 PM
tae-bo is still around?

nejar462
04-08-2002, 01:09 PM
It might be good for your heart but not your heterosexuality.

satinjatin
04-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by nejar462

ahahahahahahaha

Cue-Ball
04-08-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by nejar462

Ouch. Kickboxing it is! ;)

syntekz
04-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Cue-Ball
Ouch. Kickboxing it is! ;)

You aren't going to do it because someone online made a gay comment about it? hrmm...

:rolleyes:

Cue-Ball
04-08-2002, 05:18 PM
Notice the wink.

That comment will have no effect on whether or not i try it. The positive comments at the beginning of the thread definitely sway me toward trying it. It looks like a lot of fun and a good cardio workout. My biggest problem is finding a place to do it. I'm hoping that when i move in two months i'll have enough room to do TaeBo in my living room. If that doesn't work out, i'll either have to take a kickboxing class, sign up for martial arts, or keep using the elliptical machine. I'd prefer TaoBo because that way my fiance and i can both do it, and i can have two less days in the gym each week.

JohnCollins
04-08-2002, 05:43 PM
To answer you question, Tae Bo is GREAT cardio. Agree with the poster who said go to a class, where you'll be pushed. Disagree with the comment about your masculinity.

One of the major factors in the college I went to was that until the 60's it was a girls college, then went co-ed. When I got there in the late 70's the girl/guy ratio was about 2/1. Get my drift?? You won't likely find a lot of other guys in the Tae Bo Class, they'll be kickboxing.

Good cardio...nice ratio of gals/guys! Have fun!

BTW, I am a martial artist. That CAN be good cardio, but normally, I'd say you have to do other cardio to keep up with the martial art. If you're really interested in the martial arts, try some. If you're really just looking for a "less boring" cardio workout, Tae Bo can be extremely challenging, and a much better cardio workout than most martial arts.

Cue-Ball
04-08-2002, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the great comments, JC. I'm definitely going to look for a TaeBo class to join. Hopefully i can find something, at least after i move.

I used to take a martial arts class looooong ago and i distinctly remember doing wall sits and standing long jumps until my legs were ready to fall off. Not great cardio, but definitely a workout!

McBain
04-09-2002, 07:11 AM
just look for sinbad.

Preacher
04-09-2002, 07:25 AM
JC and Cue-ball couldn't be more right.

Go to a Tae-Bo or Bag-punching class and you'll get a great workout without all the bruises and joint-pains regular kickboxing and Taekwondo will give you.

I'm into shootfighting bigtime, and the only 'cardio' we do in class is running around the mat for 5 minutes, jumping and squatting, running backwards, stretching etc ... The next 1 1/2 hour is spent grappling, throwing, kicking etc ... it's exhausting, but not to the extent Tae-Bo can be. The 'exhaustion' is mostly caused by the fact that you have to be at your guard almost constantly, thereby preventing you to go 'all out' to fatigue your body.

There's also the risk of injury: Make one false move, twist an ankle, crack a wrist, pull a neck muscle, ... and you won't be training for a long time! (been there).

Another tip: stand in the back of the class when they do squat kicks .. you'll be hooked in one class!