PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when things don't quite go to plan?

Hazerboy
02-10-2009, 10:32 PM
A lot of the advice I here centers around "get a plan and stick to it," or "have an idea of some numbers you wanna hit in the weightroom then stick to it," "never miss a weight if you can," etc. but what do you do if things don't quiet go to plan? What if you just can't hit the numbers you had planned?

For instance, I gave matt rhodes raw squat program a try a few weeks ago because I felt like I haven't gotten enough rep work in (found here: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/raw_squatting.htm). It went something like...

Week 1:worked up to... 355x5
Week 2: 370x5
Week 3: 405x1
Deload
Week 5: 385x3
Week 6: 395x3
Week 7: 415x1 or something i don't remember
Deload
Week 9: 425x1 PR! 435x1 was very close.

After that I did a week or two of something different then decided to come back to it. Bad part is, A few days before my first session I got REALLY sick. I did nothing but vomit for an entire day (couldn't even keep down water) and it took me several days to get my eating ability back. Once I felt better I got back in the gym and....

Week 1: 360x5 TOUGH
Week 2: 375x1 or 2. (I was aiming for FIVE!!)

I felt great even though I was sick awhile back but my performance was still crappy. What would you guys do in a situation like this? Continue on with the routine or change it? My bench training and everything else has been fine.

Afterwards I got really pissed and decided, if nothing else, that I was finally going to put on another fifteen pounds. I've already made my second 3000 calorie blender concution for the week and ordered a large bucket of "Results." I always prefer to just get stronger pound for pound because its cheaper even if it takes longer (50 bucks on results + 40 bucks on shake supplies which all be eaten in another week lol...). What would you guys do for this, besides just putting on more weight?

Hazerboy
02-11-2009, 12:26 AM
Well, I'm not taking a trip to rhodehouse by any means - I'm only 190 lbs! XD

Sensei
02-11-2009, 06:31 AM
One problem with a lot "linear" progressions (and I'm not saying the program Matt gave you is - I haven't seen it) is that people start with pretty generous numbers at the beginning and end up getting overwhelmed a few weeks in.

If you get sick, you're going to need time to get well, and then you're going to have to bump things back, at the very least, a few weeks.

Reko
02-11-2009, 06:56 AM
did you lose a lot of weight when you got sick?

mikesbench
02-11-2009, 09:15 AM
This is something that I think just takes a lot of time and experience to learn to work around. I generally follow an "outline" so I have a guidline of what I'll be doing in the gym that day but the weights I choose are not set ahead of time, I pick by feel and by what I believe will accomplish the purpose of that particular training session.
So what I would most likely do is to follow the plan as it relates to exercise selection and target repetitions (volume) since this is what truly makes the program "work", the actual #'s being lifted are just relative to your current level of strength, which following a flu or cold may be somewhat diminished. With a program that works for you and some recovery time your strenth should easily rebound back past where you were when you first began the program.
Always remember where you are currently at because of past circumstances and events cannot be changed, just focus on moving forward from that point.
Hope this makes sense and helps somewhat.

Hazerboy
02-11-2009, 03:00 PM
So what I would most likely do is to follow the plan as it relates to exercise selection and target repetitions (volume) since this is what truly makes the program "work", the actual #'s being lifted are just relative to your current level of strength, which following a flu or cold may be somewhat diminished.

that actually makes a whole lota of sense, I've never thought of it that way. I'll keep it in mind. Its the intensity that makes you stronger, not a number.

I really don't know how much weight I lost because I don't have access to a good scale, and I don't feel like buying one because frankly I'd rather spend my money on more food XD. I know I lost a lot of water weight while I was sick, but I think what killed me was my metabolism shut down for a few days. My stomach was the size of a tennis ball - I'd eat a bowl of cambel's soup and be full for hours.

Reko
02-11-2009, 03:12 PM
This:

I really don't know how much weight I lost because I don't have access to a good scale, and I don't feel like buying one because frankly I'd rather spend my money on more food XD. I know I lost a lot of water weight while I was sick, but I think what killed me was my metabolism shut down for a few days. My stomach was the size of a tennis ball - I'd eat a bowl of cambel's soup and be full for hours.

probably had more to do with it than you think.

Reko
02-11-2009, 03:12 PM
also, a "good" scale isnt necesary. As long as its consistant it will do.

john bernor
02-11-2009, 03:33 PM
taking heavy raw squat singles often will quickly burn you out..I think that the old school western periodization routines like coan and karwoski used work best for advancing your raw squat

they look like something like this
week 1 1x10
week 2 1x10
week 3 1x8
week 4 1x5
week 5 off
week 6 1x5
week 7 1x5
week 8 1x5
week 9 1x3
week 10 off
week 11 1x3
week 12 1x2..about 12 days out from last meet

RhodeHouse
02-11-2009, 03:34 PM
A lot of the advice I here centers around "get a plan and stick to it," or "have an idea of some numbers you wanna hit in the weightroom then stick to it," "never miss a weight if you can," etc. but what do you do if things don't quiet go to plan? What if you just can't hit the numbers you had planned?

For instance, I gave matt rhodes raw squat program a try a few weeks ago because I felt like I haven't gotten enough rep work in (found here: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/raw_squatting.htm). It went something like...

Week 1:worked up to... 355x5
Week 2: 370x5
Week 3: 405x1
Deload
Week 5: 385x3
Week 6: 395x3
Week 7: 415x1 or something i don't remember
Deload
Week 9: 425x1 PR! 435x1 was very close.

After that I did a week or two of something different then decided to come back to it. Bad part is, A few days before my first session I got REALLY sick. I did nothing but vomit for an entire day (couldn't even keep down water) and it took me several days to get my eating ability back. Once I felt better I got back in the gym and....

Week 1: 360x5 TOUGH
Week 2: 375x1 or 2. (I was aiming for FIVE!!)

I felt great even though I was sick awhile back but my performance was still crappy. What would you guys do in a situation like this? Continue on with the routine or change it? My bench training and everything else has been fine.

Afterwards I got really pissed and decided, if nothing else, that I was finally going to put on another fifteen pounds. I've already made my second 3000 calorie blender concution for the week and ordered a large bucket of "Results." I always prefer to just get stronger pound for pound because its cheaper even if it takes longer (50 bucks on results + 40 bucks on shake supplies which all be eaten in another week lol...). What would you guys do for this, besides just putting on more weight?

First of all, you only did it for 9 weeks, then tried something else? Why? You never gave it a chance to work.

Second, I started with a weight that I could've done for 12-15 reps, and did it for 5. People always get way ahead of themselves when it comes to weights.

Third, I noticed you hit a PR on the day you take a weight, then tried another weight. Once you hit a PR, you should always stop. It's a record. Be happy with it.

Fourth, you got sick. You, like most young prople, wnat to get strong overnight. It just doesn't work that way. If you can put 20lbs on your raw lifts in a year, that's pretty damn good. I'd be happy with 10lbs, myself.

So, what should you do? Start over with 315 and make 10lb jumps.

Week 1 - 315x5
Week 2 - 325x5
Week 3 - Work up to an easy single, not necessarily a PR
Week 4 - Deload 3x5@275

Week 5 - 335x3
Week 6 - 345x3
Week 7 - Easy single adding 10lbs to last single
Week 8 - Deload 3x5@285

Start over adding 10lbs to every number you hit the first time thru. If the target number is easy, do more reps. Somedays you'll feel good and others you'll struggle to get the goal.

No matter what program you do, employ some common sense and don't do something else for the sake of change. Our bodies don't need that much variety. Be patient. If not, you'll be jumping from program to program and never learn how to train because you'll never know what really works.

Hazerboy
02-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Hey thanks for the advice Rhodes. Those numbers will probably feel low, but I'll put that plan into effect next squat session and stick to it ( would be friday but I'm going skiiing then XD ). I think your right in that I started the program off with too heavy of weights to begin with.

When I said I did something else, I just meant I did some deadlift specific stuff for a session or two. I was planning on coming back to it right then but I was under the impression that after a cycle you usually take a little time off with something else then come back to it. From now I'll just start the routine over.

Thanks for the advice guys

-Trent

Sensei
02-11-2009, 08:41 PM
This is great advice btw. 9 weeks is absolutely nothing in the big scheme of things. Common sense of course, but we get all myopic when we start to see progress and think we can just keep running with it.

I noticed you hit a PR on the day you take a weight, then tried another weight. Once you hit a PR, you should always stop. It's a record. Be happy with it.
http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2008/08/in-victory-tighten-your-helmet.html