PDA

View Full Version : adding an upper back/accessory day

mike95763
02-11-2009, 10:33 AM
I am currently working with a fairly typical routine involving 2 light days (one for squat/deads and another for bench + accessory stuff) and 2 heavy days. On my ME bench day I never seem to have the time to get in any heavy upper back work and I feel like I am starting to go backwards in this area. I was thinking about adding a day in which I do lifts like heavy barbell rows, shrugs, pull-downs, etc. Does anyone think that this would be worthwhile, or would it just lead to overtraining. Thanks for the input.

Example of routine

Monday DE/RE squat/dead lift
Tuesday DE/RE bench + light accessory work
Thursday ME squat/dead lift
Friday heavy pulls/rows/shrugs
Saturday ME bench

BigTallOx
02-11-2009, 10:50 AM
I was thinking about adding a day in which I do lifts like heavy barbell rows, shrugs, pull-downs, etc.

I do these on my ME deadlift day. I believe Stump sometimes does them along with his DE bench work.

Does anyone think that this would be worthwhile, or would it just lead to overtraining.

Everybody is different, I think only you can answer that by trying it out and keeping a good log so you can see how it effects things for you.

Friday heavy pulls/rows/shrugs
Saturday ME bench

Personally, I wouldn't add heavy pulls/rows/shrugs the day before ME bench.

Pete22
02-11-2009, 11:28 AM
I do something similar to that, it may not be optimal for everyone but it's been working for me so far:

Monday: ME Squat
Tuesday: ME Bench
Wednesday: Upper Back/Assistance (I'll pull a deadlift variation first on this day every other week)
Friday: DE Squat
Saturday: DE Bench

I have the same problem as you, I'm usually limited for time during the week so that's why I decided to go with the 5th day.

mike95763
02-11-2009, 12:22 PM
BTO - I used to do them on my ME dead lift day, but when I combined deads with squats I didn't have time to do them anymore, maybe I will try to rework them in now that I am lifting at night as you might be right about doing them right before ME bench.

Pete, I was reading your journal yesterday and that is how I got the idea. You have a great journal, solid workouts and impressive progress. Ideally I would like to do like you and have my assistance stuff after ME bench, but that would put it on Sunday and I am not sure I am willing to give up both weekend days. I guess I will just have to try a few things and see.

Thanks for the imput guys.