PDA

View Full Version : Is bacon really that bad for you?

Footballguy
02-11-2009, 12:21 PM
I was religously eating turkey bacon, thinking it was healthier for me, then i decide to compare the packages, and low and behold pig is better then turkey in this case... am i missing somthing here?

Mercuryblade
02-11-2009, 12:30 PM
I was religously eating turkey bacon, thinking it was healthier for me, then i decide to compare the packages, and low and behold pig is better then turkey in this case... am i missing somthing here?

It has a lot of saturated fat, which depending on your simple carb intake could do a number on your arteries.
Nitrates have also be indicated to be a carcinogen, so opt for the nitrate free stuff.

T FLEX
02-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Bacon can be bad for you just like any other food that contains saturated fat. No big secret, just eat it in moderation and you'll be just fine. :thumbup:

Ti1301
02-13-2009, 12:24 AM
it's sooo tasty.
oO!

Holto
02-13-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm not aware of any negative effects of saturated fat in people that don't have arterial disease. Every cell in our body has a membrane made of saturated fat. Our livers manufacture it.

I think it's largely misunderstood.

Brad08
02-13-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm not aware of any negative effects of saturated fat in people that don't have arterial disease. Every cell in our body has a membrane made of saturated fat. Our livers manufacture it.

I think it's largely misunderstood.

I agree completely. Saturated fat is not necessarily to be avoided. Perhaps in excess, but this is true of most things. Same can be said for dietary cholesterol. Frankly, I think the worst things you can eat, from a health perspective, are salt and sugar.

J.C.
02-14-2009, 07:36 AM
Yo, what's the deal with the nitrates?

I eat bacon for breakfast most mornings and a mate of mine was saying that all the nitrates were going to kill me but didn't say how. Whats the deal?

VikingWarlord
02-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Nitrates and nitrites are supposed to have been linked to several types of cancer and lung diseases.

Whuditdew
02-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Frankly, I think the worst things you can eat, from a health perspective, are salt and sugar.

Humans have been eating sugar via fruits forever and sea salts are very healthy for you. I would have to say High Fructose Corn Syrup and MSG are the two worst things to eat.

zen
02-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Humans have been eating sugar via fruits forever and sea salts are very healthy for you. I would have to say High Fructose Corn Syrup and MSG are the two worst things to eat.

I haven't checked this, but I think many fruits have more fructose than sucrose, so what's the difference between them and HFCS?

Seriously, they thought butter was bad so they invented margarine, and it took them many decades and people still don't realize that margarine was worse with all those triglycerides and mono fats and all that.

The biggest problem with the western diet is the processed bulk ingredients. They are cheap, often just industrial products by nature, and they are not what your body needs.

Animal fats, carbs, and simple sugars aren't bad from you if they come from real ingredients like dairy, meat, whole grains, and fruits and vegetables with their fiber and other ingredients intact.

Irish Pilot
02-15-2009, 03:24 PM
George Foreman + Maple Bacon = Heaven.

Masako
02-15-2009, 04:40 PM
No big secret, just eat it in moderation and you'll be just fine.http://www.dineoxford.com/pics/img/1927/f09t0105qcsp/82.gif :thumbup:

This is really what it comes down too. I eat crap food every so often, and I figure that as long as I'm not gorging myself on it, no worries. :)

cichlidfort
02-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Gotta watch out for trans fat too.

VikingWarlord
02-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Gotta watch out for trans fat too.

Generally not in bacon.

J.C.
02-15-2009, 05:47 PM
I need to do some research on the nitrates thing, but maybe my friend had a point then. I can get pretty good outdoor-reared bacon for cheap, so I tend to eat it for breakfast most mornings. Its really cost-effective, and a good source of red meat. I'd hate to give it up.

Progress
02-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Today I cooked 8 strips of bacon and made a BLT with it. I ate it. That is all.

devongarver
02-15-2009, 08:26 PM
I haven't checked this, but I think many fruits have more fructose than sucrose, so what's the difference between them and HFCS?

Seriously, they thought butter was bad so they invented margarine, and it took them many decades and people still don't realize that margarine was worse with all those triglycerides and mono fats and all that.

The biggest problem with the western diet is the processed bulk ingredients. They are cheap, often just industrial products by nature, and they are not what your body needs.

Animal fats, carbs, and simple sugars aren't bad from you if they come from real ingredients like dairy, meat, whole grains, and fruits and vegetables with their fiber and other ingredients intact.

HFCS is a man made sweetener thats cheaper and sweeter than sugar. Its been used since the 70's, and YES IT IS REALLY, REALLY BAD FOR YOU. :tuttut:Here's the issue:its PACKED with calories, but when ingested, your body doesn't recognize these calories. In fact, it does just the opposite. HFCS actually shuts down your body's natural appetite control "switches" so you can eat and eat and eat without getting full. I'm sure you or someone you know has downed an unorthodox amount of soda in one sitting, say a whole pitcher while at a pizza joint? This wouldn't have been possible before HFCS. Your body would see all the sugar and scream no more! In 1970, Americans ate about 1/2 lb of HFCS each year. By the late 90's that number rocketed to 62 lbs per year! :omg:Thats 228 additional calories per person, per day.

Now, to answer the question above, the problem with HFCS is not the corn syrup. It is the fructose. Yes it does occur naturally in fruits and honey. But that doesn't make it good. Corn syrup is made primarily of glucose, which can be burned as a source of energy, stored in your liver or muscles for later use, or as a last resort, turned to fat. But corn syrup isn't as sweet as other sugars, enter HFCS. Cheap and twice as sweet! Unlike Glucose, your body doesn't use fructose as an immediate source of energy. It metabolizes it into fat. Now, the small amount of fructose you get through fruit and honey is not enough to make you fat, eating HFCS is like reversing liposuction. You might as well pre-order fat clothes.

When you eat any carbohydrate, whether it contains glucose or starch, your body releases insulin to regulate your body weight. First, it tries to push the carbs into your muscles to be used as energy and facilitates carb storage in the liver for later use. Then it suppresses your appetite, saying you have had enough. Then it stimulates production of a protein called leptin, which is manufactured in your fat cells. Basically, Leptin helps regulate how much fat you store and helps keep your weight in check. Fructose doesn't stimulate insulin and therefore doesn't increase the production of Leptin, which is why you can drink 4 liters of coke and your body still thinks you haven't eaten anything.

So here is a good rule of thumb to follow: Check the label of anything you buy. If HFCS is listed anywhere near the top few ingredients, check how many grams of sugar per serving it contains. If its just a gram or two, dont sweat it. But if it is in the realm of 8 grams or more, and HFCS is up there on the list, walk away. It's JUST NOT WORTH IT!

I hope this can clear things up for you, sorry about the excess, i just get enthusiastic about these things sometimes:)

J.C.
02-16-2009, 06:37 AM
Hey Devon, that was a great post.

You just reminded me of stuff I've read before but forgotten. Quite a concise description of the effects of HFCS. Good stuff. Even if it is nothing to do with bacon :)

BigTallOx
02-16-2009, 06:46 AM
Mmmm, bacon, time to cook some breakfast!

VikingWarlord
02-16-2009, 07:00 AM
EDIT: On second thought, there wasn't much in there I didn't already know. I have no idea what the hell I was reading this morning.

zen
02-16-2009, 09:09 AM
HFCS is a man made sweetener thats cheaper and sweeter than sugar. Its been used since the 70's, and YES IT IS REALLY, REALLY BAD FOR YOU. :tuttut:Here's the issue:its PACKED with calories, but when ingested, your body doesn't recognize these calories. In fact, it does just the opposite. HFCS actually shuts down your body's natural appetite control "switches" so you can eat and eat and eat without getting full. I'm sure you or someone you know has downed an unorthodox amount of soda in one sitting, say a whole pitcher while at a pizza joint? This wouldn't have been possible before HFCS. Your body would see all the sugar and scream no more! In 1970, Americans ate about 1/2 lb of HFCS each year. By the late 90's that number rocketed to 62 lbs per year! :omg:Thats 228 additional calories per person, per day.

Now, to answer the question above, the problem with HFCS is not the corn syrup. It is the fructose. Yes it does occur naturally in fruits and honey. But that doesn't make it good. Corn syrup is made primarily of glucose, which can be burned as a source of energy, stored in your liver or muscles for later use, or as a last resort, turned to fat. But corn syrup isn't as sweet as other sugars, enter HFCS. Cheap and twice as sweet! Unlike Glucose, your body doesn't use fructose as an immediate source of energy. It metabolizes it into fat. Now, the small amount of fructose you get through fruit and honey is not enough to make you fat, eating HFCS is like reversing liposuction. You might as well pre-order fat clothes.

When you eat any carbohydrate, whether it contains glucose or starch, your body releases insulin to regulate your body weight. First, it tries to push the carbs into your muscles to be used as energy and facilitates carb storage in the liver for later use. Then it suppresses your appetite, saying you have had enough. Then it stimulates production of a protein called leptin, which is manufactured in your fat cells. Basically, Leptin helps regulate how much fat you store and helps keep your weight in check. Fructose doesn't stimulate insulin and therefore doesn't increase the production of Leptin, which is why you can drink 4 liters of coke and your body still thinks you haven't eaten anything.

So here is a good rule of thumb to follow: Check the label of anything you buy. If HFCS is listed anywhere near the top few ingredients, check how many grams of sugar per serving it contains. If its just a gram or two, dont sweat it. But if it is in the realm of 8 grams or more, and HFCS is up there on the list, walk away. It's JUST NOT WORTH IT!

I hope this can clear things up for you, sorry about the excess, i just get enthusiastic about these things sometimes:)

I wasn't debating any of that. I have read up on HFCS before.

My point was that fructose it self is a naturally occurring sugar in many fruits.

The problem with HFCS isn't HFCS.
The problem with HFCS is that it's put into everything because it is a cheap bulk sweetener.
So I will reiterate my first point.
If westerners ate a natural food diet, instead of all the processed foods (bleached flours, bulk fillers, sweeteners) they would still get things like fructose and fats and carbs in their diet.

Yes, read your labels if you care about what you put in your body.
But don't jump on the anti-HFCS as if it were some type of carcinogen. You shouldn't have a lot of simple processed sugars in your diet no matter what kind they are.

vdizenzo
02-16-2009, 11:33 AM
I eat turkey bacon once in a while. My wife purchases a brand that is much better in the nutrition profile than regular bacon. Same thing with hfcs. If you are food label conscious you can make nice changes in your body composition without giving up too much. It's all about making better choices.

Mercuryblade
02-16-2009, 12:13 PM

There is nothing unsafe about MSG.
It gets converted to glutamate, which your body has massive stores of already.

Whuditdew
02-16-2009, 01:35 PM
After thinking and reading I change my mind, High Fructose Corn Syrup and Trans Fats are the worst things you can eat.

High Fructose Corn Syrup is very different from Fructose and has even been found to include mercury the majority of the time.

devongarver
02-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Sorry about going off topic with the HFCS guys. Back to the bacon, i think one thing nobody here mentioned is sodium content. A lot of turkey bacon, or any food that is highly processed for that matter is usually going to contain excess sodium. We all know what sodium can do so i won't bore you again with another chapter! lol.

Progress
02-17-2009, 05:20 AM
FWIW, sucrose (table sugar) has a similar ratio of fructose and sucrose as HFCS does. All things being equal, table sugar is just as bad has HFCS. As others have mentioned, however, the problem lies in that HFCS is used in such abundance in drinks and candies and the like that it is easily consumed in great quantities/calories.

Let the bacon talk continue.

brihead301
02-17-2009, 06:40 AM
I love bacon too.