PDA

View Full Version : Bridge Stick High Pulls

ZenMonkey
02-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Just thought Id share this with everyone:hello:

The Bridge Stick High Pull: (Credit to Tommy Kono)

Starting your pull correctly and using proper acceleration is essential to a well executed lift. Working on this single exercise should teach you to pull correctly with control and accuracy. This, in turn, should help you correct many of the mistakes made in performing the snatch lift.

Advantages of Bridge Stick High Pulls over High Pulls:

1. It teaches the lifter to extend the body to the the maximum height from the pull. Too many lifters in performing high pulls think they are pulling the weight to their chest height- when in reality they are pulling their chest down to meet the bar.

2. It teaches you to start the pull with your legs while maintaining a flat back and straight arms. A lifter cannot explode at the start of the pull with a weight 90-100% of his best snatch weight and expect to strike the bar for 3 reps. The lifter will dissapate all his pulling power at the beginning of his pull by a fast start. It teaches the lifter to accelerate in stages.

3. It teaches the lifter to control the output of your power so that the maximum pulling power comes smoothly, and principle of acceleration. You cannot start the pull slowly and then explode at the knees as if you only have two gears (slow and fast)

On a normal training day the lifter can hit the bar for 3 reps w/ 90-95% of his best Snatch weight while using straps.

Stick should be placed at mid sternum (measures while in lifting shoes)
GgP8Vu0-GlM

A shorter height can be used for the clean. (at the belly button)

Jeff Roark
02-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Zen,

Your pull looks really good until you do that over exaggerated jump lifting your toes at the end. You lose your power when your feet leave the ground. Try to keep your feet in contact with the ground. I mean if you are really pulling the hell out of it and its launching you off the ground and up onto you toes thats fine, but what you are doing is like beginners trying to fake a jump or known as Donkey kicking. Otherwise you got a nice looking pull there!

ZenMonkey
02-11-2009, 07:41 PM
This is my (and my coach's, and many other well respected coaches and lifters) take. The bar reaches it's maximum speed in the snatch near the lap but because everyone is different in their explosive qualities and biomechancial make up then it is little different for everyone. Dynamic drive up onto toes with a shoulder lift, "unhinge" from the floor with active pull/push under from there. In the clean the turn around from going up to going down is between a middle of shoulder shrug and toe raise. The turn around in the lifts are "crisp" and without wasting time in the air(floating).

Jeff Roark
02-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Zen,

I will admit that I am not the sharpest guy around but I don't have a damn clue what you just said. I see a fake jump, thats it. Pull flat footed and balanced as long as you can and let it all happen naturally. What you are doing isn't natural.

ZenMonkey
02-12-2009, 04:22 PM
There are different schools of thought. Mine says different than yours which does not mean its wrong. Some of the greatest O lifters pull that way... and so do I. If you look closely, you will see I stand up straight before I dynamically drive onto my toes. All due respect, if you dont understand what I wrote above then maybe you should rethink giving advice on olympic movements. I was not looking for unsolicited advice on them either, just sharing a novel training tool. Thanks though.

Jeff Roark
02-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Zen,
I said nothing about your pull. I don't need to speak in complicated terms, or repeat what others say. I do understand the lifts, just a little bit. I basically taught myself before I had any books or internet to show me the way.

Your Snatch form doesn't even resemble the stick pulls. Total different action in the lower body. Actually looks pretty decent other than you trying to sit back powerlifter style instead of down, but that will come with improved flexibility.

yours
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No3zyuC0TWA&feature=channel_page

mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXy4e8ptcco&feature=channel_page

Jeff Roark
02-12-2009, 08:43 PM
I was not looking for unsolicited advice on them either, just sharing a novel training tool. Thanks though.

But showing a tool with improper form is not the best way to keep from getting advice. So I'll keep the advice to myself since I see you seem to have it well in hand. Good luck!

Auburn
02-12-2009, 08:53 PM
mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXy4e8ptcco&feature=channel_page

Now that is some kind of badass.

Jeff Roark
02-13-2009, 04:26 AM
Thanks Auburn.

I hope Zen don't think I am trying to be a dick or anything to him cause I'm not. Just see a young guy trying to learn 2 lifts that are so simple but so difficult at the same time. When I think I got one problem cleared up, another one that I fixed weeks ago returns. It can be very discouraging at times. If I were Zens coach and seeing his level of efficiency in the lifts, my main focus for him would be drilling the lifts and only the 2 lifts, and secondly working on his terrible flexibility. The kid has a decent looking pull when he does the actual snatch, so I hope he doesn't teach himself incorrect form using an exercise that he does not need in any way shape or form at this point.

ZenMonkey
02-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Look, Im just doing what my coach told me and he gave me the approval on my form. I know I need flexibility work- thats my biggest problem(along with my puny squat #s). You snatch looks great, I just feel I get a more dynamic pull by actively coming onto my toes. Thats how Ive been taught. I dont really know what else to say. I do appericiate your thuoghts on it- any by no fault of your own- Im just tired of people on this board saying that there is only one way to do the lifts. The stick pulls are just a tool to help get the bar to maximum height -making me keep the bar closer to my body- which is a problem Ive had in my snatch when I recieve the bar.

Jeff Roark
02-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Zen,
Thats one of the problems I see, you are not going on your toes at all. Its just sort of an unatural looking jump, sort of as if you are(looking for the proper scientific wording here so I can sound cool)dorsi flexing? your feet and its in turn throwing your center of balance off. When you have done alot of the lifts you will get a feeling by just watching something and knowing if there is not balance. I think you would be fine if you actually tried to simply stay in contact with the floor flat footed as long as possible and allow the explosive pull bring you up on your toes. Power is lost in the pull when your feet lose contact and this seems like something you are over exaggeratting. if you are going to do the stick pulls, watch your own snatch video and then try to mimic the same form.

also I am not on here trying to say my way is the only way. I think my lifts are as ****ed up as a football bat, but I do understand the lifts from experience with them. Like right now, my clean is so hosed up from a mental block that my snatch workout weights are higher than my cleans. I had a bad wreck on a clean that really scared me and it messed me up pretty good and its been and going to be a slow recovery for me on that.

one last thing Zen- want flexibility? Do the full lifts like you are doing and add in some Diamond Dallas Page Yoga for regular Guys. I know it sounds gay as hell but the Yoga is the bomb for an Olympic Lifter.