PDA

View Full Version : Squatting with bands

rbtrout
02-12-2009, 09:14 AM
A couple weeks ago, I asked about bands, which ones to use, how to use, etc. I got them Wednesday and used them this morning. Holy crap, that was different.
The first thing I noticed right of was un-racking and backing up a step is different with bands - more interesting, any way.
The second thing I noticed was all that extra pressure at the top. I figured this would happen, but it's really different than normal squats.
The third thing I've now noticed - I'm feeling it in my quads more than usual.

Since it was my first foray with bands, I used the safety bars on the lowest setting and wrapped the bands around them and went light. I'll have to use some dbs and/or plates next time, so I can still use the safety bars properly.

Very cool and as I can see, a useful training tool. For deads, double them over or use smaller bands?

slashkills
02-12-2009, 09:50 AM
you could do either or for the deads. I just recently used bands for the first time also. Reracking is b*tch

Brian Hopper
02-12-2009, 09:55 AM
you will love training with them! I think bands kick a**!!!!!!!!! Just dont do them all the time, do them for three weeks and then back off. They can be pretty ruff on your body.

Reko
02-12-2009, 10:10 AM
for bands you can do a reverse band and hand the band from the top of the rack (or a high pin setting) with the bigger bands, or you cnause smalle rbands and jsut double or quad them at the bottom, depending on how ambitious you are feeling.

mike95763
02-12-2009, 10:13 AM
I just got my bands in the mail and used them last night for the first time. I did reverse band squats and deads. It was a great workout and lots of fun.

WillKuenzel
02-12-2009, 10:14 AM
I've done deadlifts like this:

nH-86aixqKI

I could stand on plates to even it out, but with the pins that low it doesn't make too much of a difference.