PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if meat is bad ... ?

Southern Beast
02-12-2009, 05:16 PM
I bought some sirloin beef steaks today, and they had a good special - Buy One pack, Get One free! I had to take advantage.

The sell-by date is Feb. 15th, and all of the steaks have the typical bright red look, but where they were touching in the package has browned. There's no smell, so I'm assuming they're good, but those brown parts are good too?

I'm sure I'm just being paranoid. I've searched the web but people have different answers, although I think the general consensus is that it's ok.

VikingWarlord
02-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Brown just means it's oxidized a bit. Will affect the texture a little but it doesn't indicate that it's rotten.

Southern Beast
02-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Thank you, kind sir. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Didn't wanna eat something bad and end up with the green apple splatters all night. :c\

Travis Bell
02-12-2009, 07:28 PM
If it ain't green, fuzzy, smell like death or talkin to ya, throw it down the hatch

bigbencher
02-12-2009, 07:43 PM
If has a greenish shiny look to it do not eat it its turning bad.

KarstenDD
02-12-2009, 07:48 PM
When in doubt, add hot sauce.

WillNoble
02-12-2009, 08:16 PM
if they are just browning a bit its really no problem, in fact that oxidized area will most likely be more tender than the others, but in that small of an area you will never notice.

you should see a side of beef that's been dry aged before they trim it... It looks awful on the outside but the inside is the best steak you've ever had.

hellagrant
02-12-2009, 09:23 PM
In general, it is pretty obvious. If it stinks, its bad. If it doesn't stink, it is probably safe.

But when in doubt, play it safe. You don't want to get sick of course.

Southern Beast
02-12-2009, 09:37 PM
if they are just browning a bit its really no problem, in fact that oxidized area will most likely be more tender than the others, but in that small of an area you will never notice.

you should see a side of beef that's been dry aged before they trim it... It looks awful on the outside but the inside is the best steak you've ever had.

I'm glad you contributed, Mr. Noble. You seem to be the man about cooking around these boards. I need to steal some of your recipes some time.

WillNoble
02-12-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm glad you contributed, Mr. Noble. You seem to be the man about cooking around these boards. I need to steal some of your recipes some time.

any time man just ask, will be glad to help.

as for cooking, I began learning at a very young age... All the men in my family do the cooking by choice, and it is definitely a great passion of mine.

Masako
02-12-2009, 10:03 PM

you should see a side of beef that's been dry aged before they trim it... It looks awful on the outside but the inside is the best steak you've ever had.http://www.dineoxford.com/pics/img/1927/f09t0105qcsp/82.gif

Sounds delicious, I've actually never heard of this before. As long as it doesn't smell too terrible; that would be a huge turn off for me.

teeroy
02-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Grocery stores inject the top layer of meat with some chemical that makes it look red so it looks more appetizing in the package. They actually go through the hassle of unwrapping meat to reinject and then rewrap it when it starts to not look so red. So the part that you saw was just the natural color whereas the red part is fake. Saw this on some TV show like 20/20 or something.

BigDanny817
02-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Thank you, kind sir. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Didn't wanna eat something bad and end up with the green apple splatters all night. :c\

lmao green apple splatters

J.C.
02-14-2009, 02:17 PM

Yah, its amazing, they let it get properly mouldy, hanging up the carcass for weeks before its eaten and then just trimming off the outer layer.

Some smallholders who keep their own cattle for eating will slaughter and store them themselves so they can do this. Generally commercial meat can only be kept so long before its considered "dangerous" ha ha. Its no real problem but obviously they've got to have limits when its being sold. I'd love to get a whole side of beef and hang it myself for eating over Christmas or something.

T FLEX
02-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Just eat it. If you die it was bad. :thumbup:

manowar669
02-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Mmmm...dry aged.....
http://www.grographics.com/transient/free-cat.jpg