PDA

View Full Version : MMA,Muay Thai, BJJ & Judo Training

Maki Riddington
02-13-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm back.

After about a year away I figured I better start one up again for a couple reasons. One, it will keep me somewhat accountable and allow me to become more aware of my own progress. And two, some input and feedback I think will help me stay encouraged in a community where people are driven to change their physiques.

I have also become lost in my work and family life the last couple years and my workouts although good are infrequent. My training and conditioning is much better but some more strength gain and muscle would be nice.

Right now I am sitting around 200 at 16%. I need to get to 175-180 by October. I have committed myself to my first Muay Thai fight. Currently I train Judo/BJJ, MMA and Muay Thai.

Right now my training schedule looks like this:

Monday: Muay Thai
Tuesday: Strength/MMA
Wednesday:Judo/Muay Thai
Thursday: Strength/MMA
Friday: MMA Conditioning
Saturday:BJJ/Strength

I train almost 11 times a week on top of a 70-80 work hour. Some weeks I only get in 6-8 sessions. I can afford to do this because I have my office based out of a gym that houses BJJ/MMA & Muay Thai. I get to train with the trainers between clients and then do my workouts in the evening.

Let's see how I do............

Hockey66
02-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Wow Maki, that sounds like a tough schedule. Where do you train? I live in Vancouver and am looking for a good gym to start some Muay Thai/BJJ training next September. Since I no longer play competitive hockey and can't ride motocross living in the city I need to find new ways to let out my man-gression.

Maki Riddington
02-14-2009, 04:34 PM
I train out of www.sportcentral.ca

Yesterday I did an hour and a half of full contact sparring. I can barley walk my ankles are both swollen from checking so many kicks.

This afternoon I am going to do some upper body and finish off with some conditioning work.

My food intake is pretty much the same nowadays. I made the cook enforce a rule that whatever I order I only get two six ounce chicken breasts and a garden salad when I eat. Otherwise I have a shake in the morning with oatmeal or a multi grain bagle and PB and dinner at home which is rice and meat.

WORLD
02-14-2009, 04:58 PM
I've been considering joining some sort of martial art, but never thought it would be possible to mix it with weight training at the same time. You have a busy schedule Maki! Clearly it's possible to mix both. What sort of strength training do you involve? Do you stick to compound movements and keep the workouts short? I'm curious to see the details of your training :)

joey54
02-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Welcome back Maki!

Joe Black
02-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Maki is back! Yeah! :)

Chubrock
02-17-2009, 05:31 PM
No. ****ing. Way. Nice to see you back around here.

Maki Riddington
02-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Ok, so I'm behind. This journal thing is going to be tough to keep up with here.

Saturday: My workout consisted of arms/back. I did 6 super sets of preacher curls (25 pounds on the Apex machine - feels like a 100 pounds) and standing triceps extensions (65 lb dumbbell - a bit too light) with 1 minute rest between the two exercises. I then did a bit of back going from hammer strength pull downs and rear delt flys. Again performing 6 sets of 6 reps for the lat pull downs (180 lbs) and 12 reps for the rear delts (20 pound dumbbells).

I finished the session off with some conditioning work.

1 minute of flipping a 450 pound tire with 1 minute of running on 15% incline at 5 mph. Recovery on the spin bike right after for 2 minutes. I did three rounds of this.

I was supposed to do an hour of boxing before the workout but my guy couldn't make it in.

Monday: I did 1.5 hours of Muay Thai around noon and did a spinning class in the evening. The tough part is I lead the class so I have to do the workout with my group and make it look effortless.

Will continue to update later on tonight. Back to work....

Maki Riddington
02-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Tuesday: I am getting my two Sensei's ready for their MMA fight in April. I have been conducting their conditioning leading up to the fight as well as being a sparring partner for the both of them. One is 5'10 175, the other 6'5 240. Grappling with the larger one is like rolling around with a 240 pound weight vest that you can't seem to quite take off.

We worked on grappling, standing with throws and striking. The worst part of this is that I don't get rest. They switch in and out while I have to work at making them struggle or just survive. :(

This went on for an hour.

I skipped my workout in the evening as I had been up since 4:30 in the morning for my first client and then went back to back until 8:45 at night.

I will be adding in two new supplements in the next week or so. Krill oil and Aloe gel.

Maki Riddington
02-23-2009, 06:12 PM
I've been sick for the last couple days so I am pretty much useless right now. I got it from rolling with a guy on Friday. :(

Wednesday

I did 1.5 hours of Muay Thai training in the afternoon and then did a workout in the evening.

MY workout was as follows:

Zercher Squats
135x6
185x5
205x4
225x4
225x4
225x4
225x4

In between sets of the Zerchers I did 10 ring push ups.

Power Cleans
145x1
145x1
145x1
145x1

In between I did 4 reps of one armed push ups off the rings.

I finished off with a Speed Deadlift Power Curl

Standing with the bar on the ground you drop into a sprawl position and then tuck up back up pulling and then curling.

135x2
135x3
135x2
135x3
135x2
135x3

Thursday

I sparred for an hour. We did two 5 minute MMA rounds with a 1 minute break in between. I ended up doing three rounds.

No workout that night. I was pretty beaten up, literally.

Friday

I rolled for an hour and a half. It was a good session and my body was pretty burnt out. I tapped quite a few times during the session which was a bit frustrating because I knew that it was fatigue that was throwing my timing off.

Saturday

I had boxing training for an hour. It was a good class and I really got a better idea of what I needed to fix. A lot of my frustrations were a result of my stance.