PDA

View Full Version : Do leg curls work as PL accessory?

OGROK
02-14-2009, 03:10 PM
I am stuck training at a commercial gym and here there is no glute ham raise or reverse hyper. The closest thing we have is a hyperextension and a 45 degree hyperextension. I was reading up on a template written by Mike Ruggiera, which you can see here: http://bodybuilding.fitness.com/powerlifting-strongman/2487-basic-westside-template.html and he has and he has leg curls written in there. Now I've read stuff that says that leg curls don't do **** because they only work 1 insertion of the hamstring or something like that. Can leg curls be used to increase functional hamstring strength for the squat and deadlift or are they completely useless?

Kiknskreem
02-14-2009, 03:26 PM
They are better than nothing but you might find RDLs, SLDL's, pull-throughs, or swings to be better.

OGROK
02-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Actually I might be able to do glute ham raises.... Is the apparatus you use to do hyperextensions the same one you use to do GHRs?

Pete22
02-16-2009, 05:44 PM
They are better than nothing but you might find RDLs, SLDL's, pull-throughs, or swings to be better.

Yeah the majority of your assistance work should consist of these, and the 45-degree back raise is great too. I wouldn't say leg curls are useless though; I like to throw them in at the end of my squat workout.

Lones Green
02-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Leg curls are a good assistance movement for the hamstrings. The assistance isn't a huge deal, I know an 825 squatter @ 198 who squats then does leg curls and leg extensions, then goes home

bigdayday
02-16-2009, 08:01 PM
The assistance work needs to be done not only to help build size and strength. But to also keep your body healthy and increase your longevity. Leg curls of all kinds can be done. But what you are thinking off is using bands for leg curls to work the muscle at its weakest point, unlike the cam machines found in gyms. Just purchase some bands, they will be well worth your money and can be used for all kinds of assistance work like leg curls, pull throughs, good mornings and abs are some of the best.