PDA

View Full Version : 415 deadlift

berfles
02-14-2009, 05:10 PM
I decided to give it another go, last time I got 405 but not on tape. Here is 415. Tried 425 but my lats felt like they were going to tear off so I decided to not go balls to the wall, I tend to do **** like this when I'm still sore and tired from other workouts which is pretty dumb of me (just squatted two days ago and legs are still pretty sore). Next time I will get 425.

Anyway, how is form for a max attempt? Can't be that bad, I always think I'm going to feel something blow in my lower back but during this rep everything felt fine and tight.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/th_415x1.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/?action=view&current=415x1.flv)

NJPWRLFTR
02-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Form looked good to me,esp for a MAX attempt..

good work!

berfles
02-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks. One of these days I will do a proper deadlift max attempt where I successfully warm up, I'm fully rested and not sore etc. These are usually spur of the moment "Gee let's see what I can do!" when I don't have the time to truly prepare. All I did for this was 135x10 and 225x5 and then jumped straight to 415.

ZenMonkey
02-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Good work man!

Painzer
02-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Looked pretty solid to me! Nice work!

-JM-
02-14-2009, 06:10 PM
You could pull a lot more Berfles.

FWIW from me - Form looked great, you grinded a bit maybe (speed wise) but if you worked up to a max attempt better (as you say) then yessir, defo have a bigger pull. Well done!!

Try not going above 3-4 the whole way, blast a few singles and then blam 475. You have it man, Im sure of it.

You are looking thick as hell these days too man! Keep doin what yer doin!

berfles
02-14-2009, 07:01 PM
You could pull a lot more Berfles.

FWIW from me - Form looked great, you grinded a bit maybe (speed wise) but if you worked up to a max attempt better (as you say) then yessir, defo have a bigger pull. Well done!!

Try not going above 3-4 the whole way, blast a few singles and then blam 475. You have it man, Im sure of it.

You are looking thick as hell these days too man! Keep doin what yer doin!

Thanks man. My initial pull sucks for some reason, I should probably work on that. I tend to just go slow and steady until it starts moving, from there it's usually not bad.

I do 5x5s for my deadlifts, should I drop that to a 5x3 or something? Or were you talking about not going above 3-4 for my workup to the max attempt?

Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to take a week off, it's been months since my last break and I think my bench and squats are starting to suffer. I took a week off from deads when I filled the basement with smoke and came back stronger so hopefully doing so with everything else will do the trick.

-JM-
02-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Say you set a target of 475.

135x5
225x5
315x2or3
405x1
440x1
475x1

Get used to handling the heavier weight on your way up but dont fry youself completely, as in pulling singles with 10~20lb increases. Still try and make the increases substantial but not mega jumps.

berfles
02-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Ah I see. I really doubt I can pull 475 right now, but I guess I won't know until I try. Maybe with my week off and proper warm up I can do more, but I don't think 60lbs more :) Though if my lats didn't feel like they were tearing I would have had 425 right away too. I played it safe and didn't push it even though the weight did start coming up.

I guess I'll stick with my 5x5 for my working sets since I add 5lbs every week. I really don't want to take the week off but I think I should. I hate when I take a couple days off and not others though, I just had a break from deads two weeks ago but I feel like I should take a full week off instead of just doing my back day.

chris mason
02-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Good lift!

berfles
02-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks Chris :)

I hate this because I want to keep trying every week but I think maxing that often is counter productive isn't it? I mean after awhile won't I jack my CNS up?

berfles
02-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Another question, since my initial pull usually blows (I'm not sure if I do it slow and steady on purpose or it's a bad habit or what) should I try doing some speed deadlifts or deficit deadlifts for a little while?

Reko
02-24-2009, 02:35 PM

I hate this because I want to keep trying every week but I think maxing that often is counter productive isn't it? I mean after awhile won't I jack my CNS up?
Not really, unless you max out on the same lift everytime. Vary it up. hit 2RMs, 3RMS, 1RM different lifts etc.

Another question, since my initial pull usually blows (I'm not sure if I do it slow and steady on purpose or it's a bad habit or what) should I try doing some speed deadlifts or deficit deadlifts for a little while?

Might be worth looking into (more so the deficit pulling I think).

Why no shorts? Looks like it got caught up on your pants a little.

berfles
02-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Not really, unless you max out on the same lift everytime. Vary it up. hit 2RMs, 3RMS, 1RM different lifts etc.

Might be worth looking into (more so the deficit pulling I think).

Why no shorts? Looks like it got caught up on your pants a little.

I'm going to have to see about the initial pull tonight. I think some of it is habit because I really do just ease into it instead of trying to pull as hard as I can right away. Today is my first deadlift session since my week off so we'll see what happens.

And since it was a spur of the moment thing I didn't bother changing. I don't think the pants messed with the lift, but I do usually wear shorts unless my legs get too ripped up, then I wear pants and give them a break. Need to get socks or something.

Ryan Celli
02-24-2009, 03:14 PM
nice lift brother!

roots
02-26-2009, 11:53 PM

I used to think that too, until I maxed out on deads every week for 5 weeks in a row, and kept adding 10 pounds each time. went from 445 to 495 very quickly and it worked great. And i never get sore from singles either. So i plan to keep maxing between deads and rackpulls until i stall. Oh, and nice deadlift by the way.

joey54
03-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Terrific. You had another 2 in you. Let it drop back down quicker.

berfles
03-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Terrific. You had another 2 in you. Let it drop back down quicker.

Not sure about that :)

I let it down slow because I always hear "slow and controlled" for max attempts so I tried doing that. I did realize that I am easing into it too much, I don't know how I picked that habit up. Last week I worked on being more explosive for the initial pull and it went well, so I may try maxing again this week depending on how sore my legs are from squats.

Kong
03-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Great stuff mate. Maybe just try alternating deficit pulls and regular pulls each time till for a while.

fpr
03-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Dang, that's the arch I need to try and maintain! Good pull!

berfles
03-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Tonight's session sucked. I felt totally off, my inner forearms are raw from rubbing against my pants and my pants got layers shaved off from the knurling, which hasn't happened before. I almost quit after the first three reps but told myself to suck it the **** up and do the 5x5. I got all the reps, but it still sucked. My form must have been a bit off or something.

fpr
03-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Tonight's session sucked. I felt totally off, my inner forearms are raw from rubbing against my pants and my pants got layers shaved off from the knurling, which hasn't happened before. I almost quit after the first three reps but told myself to suck it the **** up and do the 5x5. I got all the reps, but it still sucked. My form must have been a bit off or something.

What are you 5x5'ing at?

berfles
03-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Tonight was 340lbs. Usually it's not much issue, tonight was an off night for sure. Last week with 335 was simple.

ced^_-
03-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Great Max man.