PDA

View Full Version : Bench wavy on the way up

teeroy
02-14-2009, 07:19 PM
On bench, my last couple of reps are wavy on the way up. On the first half of the lift the bar comes in towards the direction of the head. Then it wants to correct itself and head out away from the head for the last half.

The bar makes contact with my body about an inch below the nipples in case that helps. I do middle finger on the rings. I'm 6'4" - not sure what my wingspan is but I'm assuming pretty big. Just noting all of this in case it helps.

Is this a form issue that I need to work on? Or maybe just a lack of focus - I'm pushing pretty hard on the last couple of reps and feel like I may be losing my focus due to just being in "get it up" mode.

jed
02-14-2009, 10:32 PM
try to do some dumbbell bench - it is a very good flat bench stabilizer and focuses on each side specifically. concentrate on keeping those arms straight when your doing em!

RAT
02-14-2009, 11:24 PM
im 5'9" and my hand placement is the same as yours so u could probley get ur hand alittle wider but im a powerlifter....however on the bench try when u start the bar should be at eye level and then on the way down work to ur nips and on the way back up work back to ur eyes

bencher8
02-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Is this happening in a shirt or unequipped?

Either way, something to keep in mind is that the bar isnt "correcting itself" its something you are doing...

There are a couple things:
1. It is most likely elbow placement. You are mistiming when you flare your elbows. You are too tucked in the first part of the lift(forcing the bar toward your head) and then overcompensating by flaring your elbows too far out(making the bar go back out some)

2. Could be a back weakness and you are having problems controlling the bar placement.

A video would help a lot as well. Seeing you bench in action will let us see what the weaknesses may be...

teeroy
02-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Sorry, I should have been more clear. No gear. I'm a newbie so I'll be going raw for a long time to come.

Thanks for the help, I'll work on these suggestions.