PDA

View Full Version : Bodyfat %?

teenathlete3030
02-15-2009, 10:57 AM
I'd like to get down to about 8% bodyfat by spring break (March 22). I'd like a pretty close estimate to see if I should start cutting now, or wait a week or two.

Front
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/teenathlete3030/2-15-09180019.jpg
Side
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/teenathlete3030/2-15-09180020.jpg
Back
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/teenathlete3030/2-15-09180022.jpg

galileo
02-15-2009, 11:00 AM
I'd say sub 10, but at 6'1" it seems to spread out more evenly so it's hard to say for sure.

RonnyB
02-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Delete

galileo
02-16-2009, 06:56 AM
You're 5'9", he's 6'1". Aside from wanting to show everyone your abs, what's your point?

cichlidfort
02-17-2009, 01:28 AM
You're 5'9", he's 6'1". Aside from wanting to show everyone your abs, what's your point?

He was comparing body fat percentage with the use of pictures. That's his point.

RonnyB
02-17-2009, 06:27 AM

umm, whats your deal? i'm just trying to help him figure out wheres he's at through comparison, i was WATER tested there.. so he knows what 9.8% looks like... He wanted to see where his bf was, so i'm helping him.

galileo
02-17-2009, 09:19 AM
There's a huge difference between 5'9" and 6'1" for bodyfat dispersion.

RonnyB
02-17-2009, 11:58 AM
There's a huge difference between 5'9" and 6'1" for bodyfat dispersion.

That may be so..... but pictures are a better judge of bf than saying " hmmm i'm guessing sub 10%"... and i really don't think that 5'9" and 6'1" bodyfat has THAT much "dispersion", i think the body type has more to do with it.

kevowamo
02-17-2009, 01:03 PM
dont cut yet. in fact, i would keep bulking (assuming thats what youre doing) until the 1st of march (or so). and some honest advice, man just have fun on spring break. dont worry about how wet the ladies might get when you take your shirt off on the beach! spring breaks dont last forever, so just enjoy it man. you'll be fine bro

smokinHawk
02-17-2009, 01:59 PM
id put on more muscle first, i doubt at your current level of badyfat minus another 2% you wont be able to tell much difference.

Mad Max
02-17-2009, 02:03 PM
I agree with the above poster. But if you insiste on getting leaner then I wouldn't bother with a cut per se. At your size there is absolutely no point in cutting. Instead keep calories around maintenance or even slightly above, and just up your activity level with some conditioning style work and a little bit of cardio.

smokinHawk
02-17-2009, 02:05 PM
looks like 10ish% to me, i was water tested at 9.8% in the following picture. So compare from that :P

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/Sasso09/abs.jpg

how much water you drink that day?
i would have guessed your about 12%, seem to have some fat hanging around the obliges about as much as i am and i figure im in the 12% range, as abs are visible when flexed.

jed
02-17-2009, 05:31 PM
you really shouldnt consider cutting whatsoever until your 200+ lbs. just keep getting bigger.

evilxxx
02-17-2009, 05:55 PM
id put on more muscle first, i doubt at your current level of badyfat minus another 2% you wont be able to tell much difference.

+1! on that

RonnyB
02-17-2009, 05:55 PM
how much water you drink that day?
i would have guessed your about 12%, seem to have some fat hanging around the obliges about as much as i am and i figure im in the 12% range, as abs are visible when flexed.

12%?? hmm..... i don't think i looked even close to that in that picture, i'm probably close to that now... As far as how much water, i usually try to drink at least a gallon, 1.5 gallons.

ZenMonkey
02-17-2009, 06:00 PM
12%?? hmm..... i don't think i looked even close to that in that picture, i'm probably close to that now... As far as how much water, i usually try to drink at least a gallon, 1.5 gallons.

This is why you caught flack for posting that picture. Start your own thread or stick to the OPs questions.

RonnyB
02-18-2009, 08:21 AM
This is why you caught flack for posting that picture. Start your own thread or stick to the OPs questions.

but.... i don't want to start my own thread, i don't care about my body fat... geez.. you try to give someone some input and some people on here just jump on you. I'm not trying to hijack no threads, just trying to make some contributions. I was sticking to the OPs question, i'll remove the picture if its such a big deal.

ZenMonkey
02-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Way to jump to conclusions. All Im saying is the reason you caught flak about that is because YOUR post derailed the OPs question by virtue of beginning a different discussion. I didnt say anything about what I thought about your post other than what I am right now. So point your frustration somewhere else besides me, I was merely clarifying why it bothered others.

teenathlete3030
02-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will admit that morning I was feeling pretty lean, maybe had less water in the system or whatever. Sometimes look like that, sometimes look a bit bigger, but mostly just circumfrence-wise, with same definition.

As far as keep bulking advice, that's what I'd do without a doubt if physique was my main goal. I was a bit misleading in my original post. You see, I'm first and foremost a track athlete, with physique benefits almost as a side effect of good nutrition and eating. For some of my events (high jump for example) being lighter is better. So I'm trying to look as good as I can while still being a good track weight. That being said, I'm doing decathlon next year, and usually decathletes are a bit bigger (average about 190-200lb for someone my height). Eventually I will get bigger, but I need to make sure that the power to weight ratio keeps improving.

After doing some more thinking and reading the replies, I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing (bulking) for now and maybe put on another pound or two, and then decide what to do from there. I will eventually have it on maintenance mode for track season.

Gabrielle
02-21-2009, 01:29 AM
12% in my opinion

smokinHawk
02-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will admit that morning I was feeling pretty lean, maybe had less water in the system or whatever. Sometimes look like that, sometimes look a bit bigger, but mostly just circumfrence-wise, with same definition.

As far as keep bulking advice, that's what I'd do without a doubt if physique was my main goal. I was a bit misleading in my original post. You see, I'm first and foremost a track athlete, with physique benefits almost as a side effect of good nutrition and eating. For some of my events (high jump for example) being lighter is better. So I'm trying to look as good as I can while still being a good track weight. That being said, I'm doing decathlon next year, and usually decathletes are a bit bigger (average about 190-200lb for someone my height). Eventually I will get bigger, but I need to make sure that the power to weight ratio keeps improving.

After doing some more thinking and reading the replies, I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing (bulking) for now and maybe put on another pound or two, and then decide what to do from there. I will eventually have it on maintenance mode for track season.

if yoru trying to get you body to perform, i wount drop much lower then what you are now. you will get weaker with trying to get to a lower BF, since you will not be meeting your nutritional requirements.
i guess tthe key is to find out which %bf you perform the best at, at least for me it seems in the 11% range.

Ben Moore
02-21-2009, 01:27 PM
I'd start eating now if I were you.