PDA

View Full Version : As I'm Bulking Up, Afraid of Getting a Huge Gut!

MortnLV
02-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Hi Everyone...thanks for your responses in advance. I have begun lifting weights about 6 1/2 weeks ago - M/T & Th/F split routines. I eat awesome - I'm following almost every rule in the book when it comes to eating. So, as I started to lift weights to bulk up, I'm noticing positive results muscle-wise, but I'm also noticing something else - my gut is getting fatter. I am a body type where I'm skinny naturally everywhere except my stomach. I had gotten down to a nice weight for me by eating right for about 15 months, but now I'm getting worried. I want the muscular body, but I don't want the huge gut. I don't mind having the gut for a year or so if it will eventually burn off due to my weight lifting activity. Please let me know if this will happen naturally. I keep reading the "war" between 1 pound of muscle burns so much more calories than fat does vs. the opinion that this is false, etc. etc. I just want to know...If I build my physique by working out hard 4 days a week and eating LOTS of good calories per day, will the stomach eventually go away. Becuase I don't want to be the muscular guy with a fat slob of a gut. Thanks! -MortnLV

RichMcGuire
02-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Sounds like you are eating too many kcals. Trim it down a bit to slow the gut process.

To answer your question, yes, it will go away once you decide to go on a cut.

Btw, there is no way to follow "every rule in the book" Theres lots of ways to do things.

Some people time carbs when on a bulk to help reduce bodyfat gains. It depends on how scientific you want to get about it. You can just pile on tons of empty kcals and gain weight and then go on a cut at some point. This approach seems to work well for new comers. But thats not the only way. You can calculate a ball park for kcals and up them 200-300 until you stop gaining weight. Then you increase again and repeat. On top of that, macros can be set to where youre eating starchy, dry carbs pre and post workout only. Or where you simply just cut them off after 4pm. Some people do this because "dry carbs" are easy to convert to fat when they arent needed for immediate energy.

Now, I'll give you my opinion. In your case, I would really monitor what you eat. It sounds like you are eating too many kcals. Getting a small layer of fat is one thing on a bulk, but you dont want to get a gut. And because you naturally have one even when you are skinny, you want to be even more careful. Try increasing your kcals slowly. If youre gaining weight at 3,100 kcals, then whats the point of eating 4,500? Upping kcals can be as simple as adding 2 tbsp of natural pb to each meal you eat.

CrazyK
02-15-2009, 10:32 PM
I think Rich gave some sound advice. However what do you mean by your goal being to achieve "the muscular body"? We can help you better if you define that as eating to become a fitness model and eating to become a powerlifter render different concerns but both can be coined "muscular bodies" by people.

tsmithy
02-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi Everyone...thanks for your responses in advance. I have begun lifting weights about 6 1/2 weeks ago - M/T & Th/F split routines. I eat awesome - I'm following almost every rule in the book when it comes to eating. So, as I started to lift weights to bulk up, I'm noticing positive results muscle-wise, but I'm also noticing something else - my gut is getting fatter. I am a body type where I'm skinny naturally everywhere except my stomach. I had gotten down to a nice weight for me by eating right for about 15 months, but now I'm getting worried. I want the muscular body, but I don't want the huge gut. I don't mind having the gut for a year or so if it will eventually burn off due to my weight lifting activity. Please let me know if this will happen naturally. I keep reading the "war" between 1 pound of muscle burns so much more calories than fat does vs. the opinion that this is false, etc. etc. I just want to know...If I build my physique by working out hard 4 days a week and eating LOTS of good calories per day, will the stomach eventually go away. Becuase I don't want to be the muscular guy with a fat slob of a gut. Thanks! -MortnLV

I would nt worry about the gut too much, worry about strength and the rest will follow. If you are getting heavier but ur lifts are not dramatically improving, then back off on your calories a little.

Not sure how tall you are but if your 6 foot a good weight to aim for would be about 280lbs-300lbs. EDIT just saw u only began lifting 6 weeks weeks ago. Forget 300lbs or even 280. In fact focus on strength and size will follow.

In fact since you are so new to lifting u wil gain what ever u eat. So i would not even bother to eat lots because your not even going to be near working what natural muslce u have yet never mind building more.

After about 6 months then start to up your calories, you should be lifting decent number by then in proportion to ur bodyweight.

I am sure you have an ultimate target weight and size(maybe 260lbs and 20 inch arms), a set of 20 inch guns will take years of training. Do not bulk to fast and be patient.

Good luck

Aslin
02-16-2009, 11:42 AM
im confused when it comes to goals.

What difference in terms of training does a fitness model go through compared to a bodybuilder?

i've always thought that was down to nutrition and bodyfat levels... (E.G a model would go for a low bf% while a powerlifter wouldn't bother and focus on building muscle)

is there a difference in the actual workout? Obviously if someone wanted to be a great deadlifter then they would focus on that, but in terms of exercises and reps for an average workout, is there a difference?

jay24k
02-16-2009, 11:51 AM
I agree it is tough. I think you need to focus on only gaining a couple pounds a month. That way your muscles can build. You can always do a 3 week calorie excessive program and a week restriction. Your gains won't be as high as someone doing it 24/7 bulk most likely but you would see progress. I'm on the boat that I don't want a gut while working out. I personally don't want to be one of those guys where they can do alot of weight strength wise but look like they are fat. What comes to mind for me is the strongest man on TV. Some of those guys are super strong but just look like fata$$es :).

Many on here bulk for 6 months during the winter time and the cut for the summer. And unfortunately, they do get a layer of fat on the stomach.

Mercuryblade
02-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Don't fear the gut.
I've said this multiple times, but if you are dedicated enough to stuff your face with thousands of calories a day, drink disgusting protein shakes, and shred your body in the gym, you already possess more then enough discipline to cut weight.

CrazyK
02-16-2009, 05:32 PM
im confused when it comes to goals.

What difference in terms of training does a fitness model go through compared to a bodybuilder?

i've always thought that was down to nutrition and bodyfat levels... (E.G a model would go for a low bf% while a powerlifter wouldn't bother and focus on building muscle)

is there a difference in the actual workout? Obviously if someone wanted to be a great deadlifter then they would focus on that, but in terms of exercises and reps for an average workout, is there a difference?This is the diet forum, not the training forum.

Masako
02-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Don't fear the gut.
I've said this multiple times, but if you are dedicated enough to stuff your face with thousands of calories a day, drink disgusting protein shakes, and shred your body in the gym, you already possess more then enough discipline to cut weight.http://www.dineoxford.com/pics/img/1927/f09t0105qcsp/82.gif

Agreed, I think it's (unfortunately) just part of bodybuilding. I've seen many a bodybuilder who looks pretty "terrible" in their off time as they bulk. :)

MortnLV
02-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the input...I guess I should get a bit more detailed so you can hone in more on exactly what I want. I am absolutely dedicated. I changed my eating lifestyle about a year and 3 months ago...I bought "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" and found it's food regimen very successful. I went down from 170 to 150 (my natural, non-muscular weight) in that period of time. Now I want to get big. Not a fitness model. I'd like to get big. As long as it takes. I've now been lifting hard 4 days per week - about 90 minutes each time - working out my whole body. I'm working every large and small muscle group and doing it with the proper rest times, etc. etc. I'm on a M/T and Th/Fri split routine. If you asked me a goal...I guess I'd like to be a rock solid 180. I'm 5-10. My body style has always been the skinny/fat guy. Meaning I'm small frame (hard gainer) with a gut. Not a huge gut...I mean no one does a double take when they see me - I look fine in a t - shirt (as long as it's not tucked in!). I don't necessarily care about getting great abs - the males in my family all have the same body type - skinny with a bit of a gut. So, abs may not be in the cards for me. But, the bottom line is that I'm seeing noticeable gains in the gym. I'm upping my weights on almost every exercise about every 1 to 2 weeks. Of course, I'm starting at almost nothing weight-wise, but I see definitive progress. I was eating about 1700 calories per day during my trimming-down phase. Now that I stripped myself down to nothing, I am building myself back up with muscle. I'm eating between 3000 and 4000 calories per day, but ALL awesome foods - no cheating and no BS. As I mentioned before, my biggest concern is that my stomach is coming back in a big way. I don't mind this, as long as, say a year or 2 from now I've made real gains in getting strong and big, and then do a "cut" to get my stomach down. All my body fat is and always has been stored in my stomach. Will this approach work? Or do I only have a chance, given my body type, of being a big, strong guy with a fat gut? Thanks!! I look forward to your feedback.

KarstenDD
02-18-2009, 04:09 PM
tl;dr wall of text much?